HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire state of mind View Post
Was downtown today, I'm shocked at the size of tower 1. Pictures do nothing for this tower. It is beautiful in person. I've not been dt for a good few weeks. Even though it's almost the same from June, I think I fall more in love with it every time I'm down there.
I 100% agree with that! One fun thing to do is wander around the Financial District and walk NW towards the WTC. When you get to be a couple or so blocks away from Church St, WHAM! You hit all this open space after being in the concrete jungle that is the Financial District. Then you see these two super-tall buildings looming over you in the sky. It's a far different feeling (to me, anyway) than approaching the Empire State Building in midtown. Don't get me wrong, the ESB is pretty and all! I love coming up to the WTC... Very pretty and shiny. Same deal when you get off the E train at the end of the line and come up to street level on Church. What a view!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 3:51 PM

Have a great weekend everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkaYW...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 4:20 PM
BANNED

I think this tower has a modern Asian corporate feel to it, perhaps HK or China. I think it doesn't feel very NY at all. The whole complex is sterile and corporate that looks like something you'd find on the outskirts of Tianjin, Shenzhen or Doha. In fact, it just looks like anywhere 21st century world, to be honest. Globalized architecture, and you could be anywhere, from Shanghai to Santiago Chile. I like it enough, but it doesn't have enough personality to make it a special building from a design standpoint.

One thing I do like is that it brings light to NY through the use of vibrant glass curtain walls, which a city that is constructed mainly of stone, concrete and brick building facades really benefits from.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:00 PM

I agree with Aquablue's assessment--it isn't stunning.

The lightning picture was fantastic!

Here's my update from yesterday. Clouds + tall buildings are always fascinating in my book, and they add another level to the scale of 1 WTC.

http://www.yimbynews.com/2012/07/one...ing-above.html

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:31 PM

I think 1WTC will look at its best when all towers are completed,so it's a little early to judge.Just as North tower of the former WTC would have looked weird withouth the South tower.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:35 PM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I think this tower has a modern Asian corporate feel to it, perhaps HK or China. I think it doesn't feel very NY at all. The whole complex is sterile and corporate that looks like something you'd find on the outskirts of Tianjin, Shenzhen or Doha. In fact, it just looks like anywhere 21st century world, to be honest. Globalized architecture, and you could be anywhere, from Shanghai to Santiago Chile. I like it enough, but it doesn't have enough personality to make it a special building from a design standpoint.

One thing I do like is that it brings light to NY through the use of vibrant glass curtain walls, which a city that is constructed mainly of stone, concrete and brick building facades really benefits from.
i kind of agree and kind of dont, buidlings in asia, yes there tall, but theres nothing special about them except their height. as nyc goes, i think this building looks great, it was meant to keep the focus on the memorial not the building..i think it look wonderful with the old building, a mix of new and old

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 8:47 PM

Sunrise this morning.

http://benjaminrosamond.com

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 9:02 PM
WTCEnthusiast/User

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
i kind of agree and kind of dont, buidlings in asia, yes there tall, but theres nothing special about them except their height. as nyc goes, i think this building looks great, it was meant to keep the focus on the memorial not the building..i think it look wonderful with the old building, a mix of new and old
With the exception of Taipei 101 I agree with you. I think 1 WTC looks great though

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CClaudio21 View Post
With the exception of Taipei 101 I agree with you. I think 1 WTC looks great though
yea your right taipei is a nice tower

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 11:42 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

Very nice lighting in that picture, Bunky.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 12:04 AM

I took a drive from my house in Virginia to Manhattan yesterday. This was my first time in New York. The main goal of the trip was to see the 9/11 site. I have tons of pics, but here is one I snapped this morning at about 9am. I only stayed one night, but I am definitely going back for a longer trip when possible. I have been watching updates of this tower in this thread since the beginning. To see it in person was incredible.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungerdog View Post
I took a drive from my house in Virginia to Manhattan yesterday. This was my first time in New York. The main goal of the trip was to see the 9/11 site. I have tons of pics, but here is one I snapped this morning at about 9am. I only stayed one night, but I am definitely going back for a longer trip when possible. I have been watching updates of this tower in this thread since the beginning. To see it in person was incredible.
Im in Virginia to But im not going to NYC till October :/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 1:12 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiw1...ature=youtu.be

Have a great evening!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

Exactly. I have no idea what people see in this banality. "Sterile" is the perfect word for the whole complex.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 1:53 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
Exactly. I have no idea what people see in this banality. "Sterile" is the perfect word for the whole complex.
As was the original WTC don't forget...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 2:02 AM
Come As You Are

How is this sterile? So you want tacky Dubai stuff here instead? Minimalism is very beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
How is this sterile? So you want tacky Dubai stuff here instead? Minimalism is very beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 2:25 AM
Mr. Technology

I would not define this tower as "sterile" - rather as a business tower that makes a statement.

1 WTC serves as a reminder of what was lost (in height) and anchors the Downtown Skyline to signify that we are back in business!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 3:06 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I would not define this tower as "sterile" - rather as a business tower that makes a statement.

1 WTC serves as a reminder of what was lost (in height) and anchors the Downtown Skyline to signify that we are back in business!
True--and to me, it is much better than the old one, as is the entire complex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive