HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 7:17 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Obama and Chicago will always be connected, regardless of where he chooses to live from here forward. He launched his political career here, based his campaign here both for the 2008 and 2012 elections, and don’t forget his wife grew up on the south side.

As far as him being a douche? I think that’s really short sighted thinking that way. His presidential center will definitely be a tourist destination. He’s probably going to be the most famous and historically significant president of our generation. And having essentially a Obama “museum” of sorts will do far more for that park and that area of Chicago than if it didn’t happen.
This. Its an underused park that will now be a tourist destination. Literally every tourist guide on the city will include this museum as a top destination when visiting. It'll do more to bring investment dollars to the south side than almost any other individual project. The city will reap dividends many many many times over the forfeited cost of selling a slice of parkland to the Obama Foundation.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Agree. I can agree to the part about them not paying for some things, but I think a library and Museum is well within the range of what goes into land like this.

The city is not about to sell any of it to developers, and that reality has absolutely nothing to do with them and their understanding of money.

So the city cannot SELL land to a private developer, but it absolutely can GIVE it to a private developer? (And spend what will eventually add up to a quarter billion dollars improving the surrounding infrastructure?)

This will need one hell of a gift shop for the city to ever make that up!!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 9:41 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
So the city cannot SELL land to a private developer, but it absolutely can GIVE it to a private developer? (And spend what will eventually add up to a quarter billion dollars improving the surrounding infrastructure?)

This will need one hell of a gift shop for the city to ever make that up!!
Hotel taxes, sales taxes, additional CTA revenue/city rideshare fees, airport landing/takeoff fees from the additional tourist stream the presidential center generates will in time more than cover the infrastructure costs.

I would imagine the revenues of the gift shop would go to the Obama Foundation (since the city wouldn't own it) and go to funding the day to day operations of the center.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Hotel taxes, sales taxes, additional CTA revenue/city rideshare fees, airport landing/takeoff fees from the additional tourist stream the presidential center generates will in time more than cover the infrastructure costs.

I would imagine the revenues of the gift shop would go to the Obama Foundation (since the city wouldn't own it) and go to funding the day to day operations of the center.
To point 1: Maybe you'll see some of that for a few years. After that, the majority of the visitors will be schoolchildren. Schoolchildren are notoriously cheap when it comes to spending tourism dollars.

To point 2: Sarcasm. (Jesus!)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 10:57 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
To point 1: Maybe you'll see some of that for a few years. After that, the majority of the visitors will be schoolchildren. Schoolchildren are notoriously cheap when it comes to spending tourism dollars.
You never know. People with extended stays visiting the city may still add it to their itinerary, long into the future after Obama's presidency has faded into the past. It can piggy back off the MSI, to which it is adjacent, and form something of a Museum Campus South.

Quote:
To point 2: Sarcasm. (Jesus!)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 10:59 PM

I'm not 100% sure about the law itself, but I don't think they can actually sell the land for a legit price - maybe like $1. I think that's what they did for George Lucas. There are numerous laws set up to protect the lakefront's park land (and maybe just park land in general) in Chicago. Overall, it's done very well - and very rarely have things like this happened, and almost always it's for some sort of cultural institution which would eventually get money back indirectly to the city. Again you can look at what's in the lakefront park land and see 95% of it is categorized this way. I don't have a problem with a Presidential Library/Museum going in something like this. I think if it were anything other than a cultural type of institution, I would totally be against it personally.

On the other hand, in my mind is a thought about how Obama is connected to Chicago but he also is oddly quiet on some issues. That is pretty political though so I won't get into that, even though I like the guy , but he has raised eyebrows in my mind about his supposed strong Chicago ties these days.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
You never know. People with extended stays visiting the city may still add it to their itinerary, long into the future after Obama's presidency has faded into the past. It can piggy back off the MSI, to which it is adjacent, and form something of a Museum Campus South.

Speaking of MSI, there was a time when that museum was Chicago's biggest tourist attraction, right? It's a great institution, but it's difficult to point to ways it "helped the neighborhood" the way it's suggested the Obama center will. It draws tons of tourists straight down Lake Shore Drive....and straight back up when they leave.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Speaking of MSI, there was a time when that museum was Chicago's biggest tourist attraction, right? It's a great institution, but it's difficult to point to ways it "helped the neighborhood" the way it's suggested the Obama center will. It draws tons of tourists straight down Lake Shore Drive....and straight back up when they leave.
MSI is in Hyde Park which hasn't really needed help in a long time. Obama Library would be in Woodlawn which does need help. The easiest way how it helps is actually employing people who live in the general area. This is the easiest way to begin to improve someone's economic situation. I think they've talked about this before, and I think their plans for Chicago for the south side specifically are a bit more than this. If you want to help any neighborhood though, you start with getting people in that neighborhood some more jobs, which is what this can easily do.

What needs to happen near the Obama Library is that they need to put some places to eat. People love getting food after being somewhere for a few hours. I'm not saying it's going to get people hanging out in Woodlawn, but guaranteed it will get many people to spend a little more money and time in the area after (or maybe before). A neighborhood changing is a much bigger thing and a lot harder, but at least start with getting people some jobs who need it.

Last edited by marothisu; Aug 18, 2018 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:27 PM
Urbane observer

Who is "they?" The Obama Center will have its own restaurant in the building. They're not going to be subsidizing some rival across the street. And where would a new restaurant even go? In front of the high school? Tear down the subsidized senior housing?

I want to imagine a better city 20 years from now, but I can't really absorb the idea that families from out of town are going to be persuaded by some Yelp review to—after visiting the OPC—go have a meal at some restaurant on 71st St.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Who is "they?" The Obama Center will have its own restaurant in the building. They're not going to be subsidizing some rival across the street. And where would a new restaurant even go? In front of the high school? Tear down the subsidized senior housing?

I want to imagine a better city 20 years from now, but I can't really absorb the idea that families from out of town are going to be persuaded by some Yelp review to—after visiting the OPC—go have a meal at some restaurant on 71st St.
Who said anything about subsidizing? I never mentioned anything of the sort, and it would also be stupid. All I meant was that if a developer decided to open up something near there, it would persuade some people to spend a little money nearby. I never said it would change a neighborhood nor lead to a big influx of money. But thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:56 PM
Urbane observer

We've certainly seen the large number of restaurants that have thrived near the Museum of Science & Industry. Even during the decades when admission was free, and you could easily leave for lunch and come back.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 3:05 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
We've certainly seen the large number of restaurants that have thrived near the Museum of Science & Industry. Even during the decades when admission was free, and you could easily leave for lunch and come back.
Not sure if this was sarcastic.

MSI’s campus-like setting obviously puts it at a distance from Hyde Park’s restaurant scene. I once walked from MSI into Hyde Park and it was lengthy and terrible (partly because it was pretty cold that day), and that was me alone. Imagine a family with little kids.

Let’s not kid ourselves, the OCS will hardly drive up business to local shops. If Obama actually cared to achieve that (his actions suggest that he doesn’t), he would’ve found space in an existing commercial strip and created his self-monument there.

Instead, he’s going to have a Tower in a Park. People will go there, check it out, then get back in their cars (or the bus) and leave.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 4:25 PM
>~< , QED!

Here's an example of something that is partially driven by the OPL:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/12...ersity-chicago

I haven't followed the project at all though so maybe it's super defunct now.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:26 PM

Does anyone know if there is a planning meeting that is coming up soon for this?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Not sure if this was sarcastic.

MSI’s campus-like setting obviously puts it at a distance from Hyde Park’s restaurant scene. I once walked from MSI into Hyde Park and it was lengthy and terrible (partly because it was pretty cold that day), and that was me alone. Imagine a family with little kids.

Easiest from MSI is probably to walk up to 55th. But I generally agree. People without a specific plan to spend time in the area are more likely to venture out if they land at a commercial street rather than a park. And the location of the Metra or bus stop don't force visitors to walk past a commercial area. That said, some people who visit MSI do make plans to spend time in HP (Oriental Institute, Chicago campus, etc). I suspect the Obama visitors might skew more toward such people - e.g., less family focused, I would imagine. And MSI is an all-day visit for many so doesn't lend itself to multiple stop trips to the area. The Library could also try some area promotion that encourages visitors to spend more time

Last edited by VKChaz; Sep 7, 2018 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:53 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/nonpr...ackson-park-10

September 18, 2018 12:07 PM |UPDATED 3 hours ago

City to offer Obama Center 99 years in Jackson Park for $10

The proposed ordinance gets the center one step closer to becoming a reality in the historic park.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
City to offer Obama Center 99 years in Jackson Park for $10
Sickening.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Sickening.
How so? This is very common practice for Chicago, and really across the nation.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Honestly, let's dispatch the firing squad on the Protect Our Parks people. They are the absolute worst.

They cost the city who knows how many hundreds of millions of dollars by cock blocking the lucas museum, for an effing parking lot. And now they want to derail this monument to American achievement, one that will also generate who know how many hundreds of millions of dollars???? Die.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:22 PM
Urbane observer

Ah, the time-honored Chicago no-snitching code. When the mayor is suspected of violating the law, the immediate reaction is to attack those who called the police.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development