HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8781  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 12:51 AM
Blesha13 Blesha13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA 90026
Posts: 250
Another Chinese project they should get on board and start ASAP is the LA Grand Hotel Tower.
__________________
GO DODGERS! GO LAKERS!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8782  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:23 PM
RumbleFish RumbleFish is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I'm not saying L.A. in 2030 will have the skyline Toronto will have in 2030. But I do think it could have a skyline at least as impressive as Toronto has now, in 2019. By 2030 Toronto could look like Chicago today.
I understand what you are saying, but you are underestimating Torontos downtown today. Toronto's downtown is pretty much on par with Chicago's currently and will be much bigger than Chicago's in 2030. Chicago likely beats Toronto in commercial space and overall height, but Toronto trumps Chicago in regards to residential and street vibrancy. LA does have the potential to be a clear number 3 in the U.S.A. by 2030 though. Maybe it would be more realistic to have a goal of having a downtown equivalent to current San Francisco's in 10 years?

Last edited by RumbleFish; Dec 5, 2019 at 6:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8783  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:56 PM
badrunner badrunner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Why??? How true of an urbanist are you? Some of these comments about LA’s Downtown is simply laughable. No...LA didn’t start its boom of residents as early as NY or San Fran. When people in general thought about moving and moved to LA, it was and still is about having a home, having some sort of yard/land, a house in the hills, etc. They didn’t move to LA to walk to and from in a dense area. People dream of having a home on the coastlines of Southern California. What’s going on in DTLA, is incredible. Cities such as Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. don’t have a Malibu, Bel Air, Hollywood Hills, to compete with in their prospective cities. Most of those cities, you’ve never even heard of other areas or sub-markets in their cities. As a Morehouse Man, I have to say...a lot of these comments are extremely small minded and has not one ounce of understanding the big picture.
This is so true. In most cities downtown is as good as it gets so they expect the same thing in LA, without realizing that people who had options started heading for the hills and beaches over a hundred years ago...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8784  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:06 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
Life enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Barcelona, NYC, California
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
I understand what you are saying, but you are underestimating Torontos downtown today. Toronto's downtown is pretty much on par with Chicago's currently and will be much bigger than Chicago's in 2030. Chicago likely beats Toronto in commercial space and overall height, but Toronto trumps Chicago in regards to residential and street vibrancy. LA does have the potential to be a clear number 3 in the U.S.A. by 2030 though. Maybe it would be more realistic to have a goal of having a downtown equivalent to current San Francisco's in 10 years?
To say Toronto will be much bigger than Chicago in terms of downtown may be a bit exaggerated, both cities will be pretty comparable for the foreseeable future with all the projects in the pipeline, although Chicago is taller overall and still wins in terms of 150+ meter buildings.

LA needs to actually build some of its proposals if it doesn't want to fall behind other US cities. I feel like Miami could be #3 as well. It'd make sense that places like Dallas and Houston start booming too at some point this decade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8785  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:38 PM
WestCoastSupertall's Avatar
WestCoastSupertall WestCoastSupertall is offline
LADevelopmentMap.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 177
1133 S. Hope







Hope + Flower and Oceanwide Husk





1130 S. Hope site (10 story hotel)


Bonus shot
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8786  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:32 PM
liat91 liat91 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 594
DTLA will not be a match for Toronto today, by 2030.
Maybe Toronto 2010. I’m guessing LA in 2030 will equal
adding everything that is currently planned/proposed.
__________________
WATCH OUT!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8787  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:18 AM
caligrad's Avatar
caligrad caligrad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
meh. I am more into the Luxe and Fig+Pico developments. Those are the only two I ask for. However, I am thrilled with the restorations! It's pretty exciting to see one after another begin! 2020 should be a great year for DTLA. We have several buildings that are recently opened or going to be opening soon. Here is to an influx of new residents and feet on the ground!
True. I just really want the Olympia towers because it closes a gap in the skyline when looking from the East and West. A pretty big gap. The Luxe, I was excited for it when it was 3 towers with jagged roof lines, I'm probably the only one that wasn't excited for the watered down 2 tower boxy final product. And the Fig+pico project is another that's probably top 5 in the ones I really want to see get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
Shame. Which projects are Chinese?
I wish the front page was updated, would be easier to name them with a reference but there are a handful or so in South Park area that I really wanted to see happen but the same developer behind those are the same ones developing Olympia towers. The Luxe site just because it helps close a gap, The one I look forward to as well is the LA Grand Hotel tower which will be LAs new tallest tower, but of course, I think its also Chinese financed if I remember correctly, and the recent scandal doesn't help as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Another Chinese project they should get on board and start ASAP is the LA Grand Hotel Tower.
Yeah, I almost forgot about that one. It came on the scene so quick and out of no where that I forget that its an actual real project lol.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 6, 2019 at 2:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8788  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:47 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
This is so true. In most cities downtown is as good as it gets so they expect the same thing in LA, without realizing that people who had options started heading for the hills and beaches over a hundred years ago...
Good point.....although the idea of LA going head to head with other cities....whether a toronto, chicago, seattle, san francisco....may at first seem a good goal, I see the city as being its own animal.

I wouldn't have said that yrs ago when dtla, midwilshire, hollywood & other older parts of LA were on an extended decline....but I now see the city as a good alternative to traditional urban models where....as you point out.....ppl will visit a dt & not expect much beyond that.

climate plays a part too....the bright sunshine & clear days of LA do affect the city. But even there, who knows exactly what will happen to other ppl & other places? I thought the weather would be reflected in dtla having more rooftop bars & restaurants than a city like NYC....not so....even though such seasonal areas of a business won't be open year round as they can be in LA, NYC still has rooftop places galore.

Still, I appreciate the diversity of LA's hoods more today than I did in the past....however, it's now getting too grungy in a way that no one should be happy with....homelessness everywhere, ppl using the streets as bathrooms...skid row. Same thing, however, is happening in other cities up & down the west coast.

and a stalled proj like oceanwide plaza doesn't look good to any city, LA or otherwise.

happened to be in the ralphs on 9th st a few days ago...I still remember when it first opened wondering where the shoppers would come from. lol. that didn't appear to be an issue from back then around 2008....or based on quite a few shoppers I saw in there recently.


Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8789  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:29 PM
scania's Avatar
scania scania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)/Atlanta, Ga. (Midtown)
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Good point.....although the idea of LA going head to head with other cities....whether a toronto, chicago, seattle, san francisco....may at first seem a good goal, I see the city as being its own animal.

I wouldn't have said that yrs ago when dtla, midwilshire, hollywood & other older parts of LA were on an extended decline....but I now see the city as a good alternative to traditional urban models where....as you point out.....ppl will visit a dt & not expect much beyond that.

climate plays a part too....the bright sunshine & clear days of LA do affect the city. But even there, who knows exactly what will happen to other ppl & other places? I thought the weather would be reflected in dtla having more rooftop bars & restaurants than a city like NYC....not so....even though such seasonal areas of a business won't be open year round as they can be in LA, NYC still has rooftop places galore.
LA is getting more and more rooftops every year now. It seems like most of the buildings are doing a rooftop in DTLA. Meaning new buildings/renovations. I think the latest is Hoxton Hotel, which has so much energy up there. From Perch to Broken Shaker, to the Ace, there are a plethora of rooftops in DTLA. No it’s not as many as NY, but why would there be more? At the end of the day, NYC has more people and more buildings. But as a person that does the nightlife, our rooftops in DTLA, WeHo, and Hollywood have the vibe, energy, and the people all year round. I used to live in NYC too, and trust our rooftops are nice.
__________________
It's a beautiful day!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8790  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:54 PM
WestCoastSupertall's Avatar
WestCoastSupertall WestCoastSupertall is offline
LADevelopmentMap.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 177
All you need to know about the state of the DTLA market:

1) With 5,700 units u/c, the vacancy rate decreased which shows units are being absorbed

2) As a result of new supply, prices decreased 2.8%

3) When deliveries decrease momentarily, the vacancy rate drops showing strong demand

4) Demand far outstrips supply

5) Look at units older than 1 year to determine true vacancy rate (its 5%). All new construction is at 100% vacancy when it first opens

6) Market will run through 2020

https://www.globest.com/2019/12/05/d...-construction/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8791  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 9:25 PM
LA21st LA21st is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
LA is getting more and more rooftops every year now. It seems like most of the buildings are doing a rooftop in DTLA. Meaning new buildings/renovations. I think the latest is Hoxton Hotel, which has so much energy up there. From Perch to Broken Shaker, to the Ace, there are a plethora of rooftops in DTLA. No it’s not as many as NY, but why would there be more? At the end of the day, NYC has more people and more buildings. But as a person that does the nightlife, our rooftops in DTLA, WeHo, and Hollywood have the vibe, energy, and the people all year round. I used to live in NYC too, and trust our rooftops are nice.
Speaking of rooftops in Hollywood or West Hollywood, what's a good one to take a Chicaogan? Mama Shelter? Something unique for a out of towner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8792  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 10:11 PM
scania's Avatar
scania scania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)/Atlanta, Ga. (Midtown)
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Speaking of rooftops in Hollywood or West Hollywood, what's a good one to take a Chicaogan? Mama Shelter? Something unique for a out of towner.
Try EP&LP...corner of La Cienega and Melrose.
__________________
It's a beautiful day!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8793  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 10:16 PM
WestCoastSupertall's Avatar
WestCoastSupertall WestCoastSupertall is offline
LADevelopmentMap.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Speaking of rooftops in Hollywood or West Hollywood, what's a good one to take a Chicaogan? Mama Shelter? Something unique for a out of towner.
Depending on your penchant for douche, these are on my list:

Hollywood: Mama Shelter, Yamashiro (not really a "roof"), The Highlight Room

Weho: Skybar, Pearl's, EP/LP, The Roof on Wilshire, Soho if you can get in, Andaz (requires being "a guest")

BH: Rooftop by JG at the Waldorf is over the top, Caulfield's has a decent roof

I'm sure you have the DTLA spots, but I'll throw in my favorite under-rated ones: Bonaventure Brewing is kind of low-key shabby but you have an entire deck with a lawn pretty much to yourself in the middle of DTLA. Westin Bonaventure rotating restaurant, WP24, and the lobby bar at the WG
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8794  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 10:33 PM
LA21st LA21st is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
Depending on your penchant for douche, these are on my list:

Hollywood: Mama Shelter, Yamashiro (not really a "roof"), The Highlight Room

Weho: Skybar, Pearl's, EP/LP, The Roof on Wilshire, Soho if you can get in, Andaz (requires being "a guest")

BH: Rooftop by JG at the Waldorf is over the top, Caulfield's has a decent roof

I'm sure you have the DTLA spots, but I'll throw in my favorite under-rated ones: Bonaventure Brewing is kind of low-key shabby but you have an entire deck with a lawn pretty much to yourself in the middle of DTLA. Westin Bonaventure rotating restaurant, WP24, and the lobby bar at the WG
Ok, cool. Thanks. I was thinking about the Pearl too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8795  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 10:43 PM
LAsam LAsam is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Playa del Rey, CA
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
Depending on your penchant for douche, these are on my list:

Hollywood: Mama Shelter, Yamashiro (not really a "roof"), The Highlight Room
The Highlight Room is really cool. I think someone from Chicago will definitely be wowed by the view from up there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8796  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 10:44 PM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
Depending on your penchant for douche, these are on my list:

Hollywood: Mama Shelter, Yamashiro (not really a "roof"), The Highlight Room

Weho: Skybar, Pearl's, EP/LP, The Roof on Wilshire, Soho if you can get in, Andaz (requires being "a guest")

BH: Rooftop by JG at the Waldorf is over the top, Caulfield's has a decent roof

I'm sure you have the DTLA spots, but I'll throw in my favorite under-rated ones: Bonaventure Brewing is kind of low-key shabby but you have an entire deck with a lawn pretty much to yourself in the middle of DTLA. Westin Bonaventure rotating restaurant, WP24, and the lobby bar at the WG
Rooftop at top of Wilshire Grand is pretty nice. Definitely high with good view. Indoor top level of US Bank also spectacular & about 100' higher than Wilshire Grand. You look down on most of WG except for the spire. Rotating room at top of Bonaventure has a nice view, although only at 350' or so, so you look up at the towers around you. Monty's steakhouse in Westwood used to have a good view, but it may have closed years ago. Not sure. Wish they would build an aerial tram to the top of Mt. Wilson (or Mt. Lowe) & build a hotel & restaurant up there. The early 2oth century railway up Mt. Lowe was a HUGE tourist attraction. Something like that (or aerial tram) could work today. That would be a great place to eat & lodge with a nice view. The drive to Wilson on the winding road takes too long. The Griffith Observatory should have a nice restaurant. Nice view up there.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 6, 2019 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8797  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 10:44 PM
LA21st LA21st is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
The Highlight Room is really cool. I think someone from Chicago will definitely be wowed by the view from up there.
Better than Mama Shelter? Interesting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8798  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 10:56 PM
LA21st LA21st is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Rooftop at top of Wilshire Grand is pretty nice. Definitely high with good view. Indoor top level of US Bank also spectacular.
Yes, i've been there. It's great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8799  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 12:05 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
at the end of the day, NYC has more people and more buildings. But as a person that does the nightlife, our rooftops in DTLA, WeHo, and Hollywood have the vibe, energy, and the people all year round. I used to live in NYC too, and trust our rooftops are nice.
yes, but I'm surprised the desire to be out on a rooftop, separated from city sidewalks below, is common all over the place. Even more so when the weather makes such settings not necessarily all that positive in some parts of the US....brrr, trying to have a nightlife outside hundreds of ft above on a cold winter rooftop?

I notice the first one shown in nyc has a nice vibe about it because of the grapevines...plantings. but maintaining such features must be harder to do in a city like that....LA's weather makes such things easier to create & maintain, which are why the local rooftop do have a friendlier vibe...


Video Link


Video Link



The perch at 5th & Hill can keep something like this going yr round. but in places like nyc it apparently is more of a seasonal thing....


Video Link



Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8800  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:34 AM
LAsam LAsam is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Playa del Rey, CA
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Better than Mama Shelter? Interesting.
I think it is a better view than Mama Shelter. Feels like a more unobstructed view of the Hollywood Hills.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.