HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I also used to be a big fan Stec. Was so excited for Tesla, and SpaceX. Thought of him as the best, now he's become such a douchenozzle. Still think Tesla and SpaceX as organizations are great, and I'm glad for this news, bus Christ is he such a dick bag

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 9:25 PM

You know people are capable of changing opinions without being a bandwagoner right? I've had issues with Musk for a long time prior to the current dealing related to Twitter et cetera. I used to be a regular subscriber and commenter on the /r/Tesla subreddit, and even made a downpayment for a Model 3 that was held by Tesla for 3 years until I decided to pull the money for other reasons.

If you don't think there are legitimate criticisms of Musk, then, well, that's some incredibly odd obsession. I'm not that obsessed with anyone, and to be honest I don't think this is the appropriate place to get into the minutiae of the criticisms of Musk, and so I've summarized it above, but that's not to say I don't have more detailed criticisms that go beyond and earlier than the current distaste toward the man. Most of my distaste toward Musk began around the time of Hyperloop because it is vapourware designed to hurt transit expansion which far precedes the twitter thing which I honestly know very little about.

Again, all that being said, I do think Tesla is a good company, that has stretched it's success beyond Musk, and overall it's a good thing a Tesla dealership is opening at Limeridge, not to mention the largest in the province or country.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton green-lights Tesla takeover of vacant CF Lime Ridge Mall space

https://www.insauga.com/hamilton-gre...AgJJvdcay2mEoE

Hamilton will officially be home to Tesla’s largest Canadian retail and service location.

The city’s adjustment committee voted unanimously on Thursday in favour of a by-law variance, allowing for a 60,000-square-foot Tesla Centre at CF Lime Ridge Mall, in the space previously occupied by The Bay’s Home Outfitters.

Tesla had already signed a non-binding letter of intent with Cadillac Fairview, Lime Ridge Mall’s parent company.

Tesla Canada’s Sr. Real Estate Manager, Kyle Mazzone, sent a letter to Michael Peiser, Cadillac Fairview’s Senior Director of Development, on Dec. 2, 2022, stating that the company was willing to invest in Hamilton, but that it required the variance sooner rather than later.

“Time is of the essence, which is why CF Lime Ridge is strategically positioned, given that it already has ‘Motor Vehicle Show Room as a permitted use,” added Mazzon. “As we will be servicing and repairing electric vehicles, in addition to the sale of electric vehicles, we want to ensure that this is a permitted use.”

“The timing of the minor variance will be a major deciding factor of Tesla investment in Hamilton.”

The famous Hamilton Mountain mall is already home to a 20-stall Supercharger on its west side — opposite the impending Tesla Centre. The nearest existing centre is in Oakville.

According to Tesla, the new centre will employ 50 people and operate Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:43 PM

Good news to see they didn't have any issues.

Looking forward to seeing Tesla open, it's a good business to have in Hamilton which generally lacks a lot of more "luxury" focused retailers for a city of it's size.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 5:40 PM

From CHCH this morning.

Quote:
Hamilton city hall showed their full support for the new Tesla service centre at Lime Ridge Mall Thursday night, with the Tesla representative only sitting in front of the adjustment committee for about a minute before they voted unanimously to move the project forward.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:25 PM

I'm curious, will this be on the second floor? Or will it include the food court and therefore not happen until the new food court is built?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:25 PM

Im all for this Tesla deal, but...

A car dealership/repair facility is ok for the mall but a mid sized arena that would bring thousands of potential customers to the mall is a no go. Maybe Tesla could intervene on behalf of Andlauer, I hear hockey parents like Teslas.

We once were the ambitious city, now the ambivalent one.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloops View Post
Im all for this Tesla deal, but...

A car dealership/repair facility is ok for the mall but a mid sized arena that would bring thousands of potential customers to the mall is a no go. Maybe Tesla could intervene on behalf of Andlauer, I hear hockey parents like Teslas.

We once were the ambitious city, now the ambivalent one.
Building a 5,500 seat arena in a mall parking in the lot in the suburbs and losing your 17,000 seat arena downtown is not ambitious.

This would be ambitious for Cadillac Fairview, not for the City of Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 10:24 PM

There is a need for a mid size venue to compete with NF, KW etc. Something that can handle events too large for Ham place but not able to fill FOC.

Fear not though, one day we will have our shiny 17000 or so hall, likely struggling to attract tenents.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 10:32 PM

I think this will be good for Limeridge, kind of fitting ironically that a suburban mall attarced a car dealership and service centre into its evelope versu justhaving a sea of vehicles encircling it.

I am even more excited to see the north end conversion. And I am sure it wont be too far out into the future when the south end inevitably falls to the wrecking ball and more residential units

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloops View Post
There is a need for a mid size venue to compete with NF, KW etc. Something that can handle events too large for Ham place but not able to fill FOC.

Fear not though, one day we will have our shiny 17000 or so hall, likely struggling to attract tenents.
If there is a “need” for a mid size venue to compete with those other cities, then the private sector will fill that need with 100% private funding. Otherwise its not a need it is a “want” for the taxpayer to subsidize multi million dollar owners.

The city couldnt even break even on running one professional venue and now we’re talking about two?

I dont think you’re understanding the issue here is the city cannot afford to invest hundreds of millions in these facilities with all the other problems they have to throw money against.They’ve finally been able to divest and pass on the financial risk to the private sector at FOC. You really think Tim Leiwike and Oak View Group havent done their homework on this? They arent investing tens of millions in a facility just for it to sit empty… and if they are that dumb… its their money they are losing because it is no longer the cities/taxpayers problem to subsidize operations.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 2:25 AM
Ham-burgher

Let's see what the improved "screening" to make FOC's lower bowl more intimate will look like.

I don't want to see the city build another arena. They could expand Andreychuk, maybe? But unless it will need a major refurb in the near future, why. If private interests wanted to make it happen, they could do that.

I have to wonder if Andlauer got into someone's bad books. He's got a fan in Radley, but the politics of business can be nasty no matter how generous someone has been to the community.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 8:53 PM

$5 million permit was issued here for (I believe) the Tesla dealership this month:

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 3:38 PM

Not much new here in this article other than maybe timing of opening of Tesla shop(late 2024):

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...024-interview/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 7:59 PM

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...ime-ridge-mall

Hamilton, Ont.’s Lime Ridge Mall is accelerating into a sustainable future thanks to a 60,000-square-foot Tesla dealership/service centre slated to open next fall.

The electric automaker is constructing its biggest Canadian location at the site of the former Home Outfitters store on the east side of the Cadillac Fairview (CF) owned mall.

Construction of the store began in June of this year with plans for a fall 2024 opening. The sales showroom will be located at the mall entrance.

This location will serve as a southwestern hub for Tesla.

CF Lime Ridge’s ideal location with close proximity to the Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway, Red Hill Creek Expressway and Highway 403 make accessibility convenient to draw customers from the London area, Niagara and West of Toronto to Hamilton.

The other planned revamp project includes two 12-storey apartment towers that will be built on the site of the former Sears building.

“The development is planned for the north end of the property, including residential and retail. Preliminary plans are to build two mid-rise residential buildings with approximately 320 rental units and the refurbishing of the former Sears store for new commercial tenants as well as the addition of several restaurants.

“The addition of residential will give the mall a built-in customer base. Our vision is to create a community where people can live, work, shop and eat. This ties with Cadillac Fairview’s purpose which is ‘transforming communities for a vibrant tomorrow,’” said Lime Ridge Mall general manager Andy Traynor.

He also reports CF Lime Ridge, which opened in 1981, continues to be the premier mall in the Hamilton area. It is home to over 175 stores and services.

Other new retail additions besides Tesla include the first-to-market JD Sports store, the recent expansion of the Bath & Body Works store, which is doubling in size and the opening of the first-to-market Mado Cafe this spring. Traynor says these are all good examples of the robust leasing activity at CF Lime Ridge.

According to City of Hamilton building engineering officials, to date, the proposed development at the north end of the property (where the residential units will be located in two proposed towers) has received conditional site plan approval and is not at the building permit stage yet.

An initial permit to prepare space for the Tesla dealership space was issued in May and the building permit application for the interior renovations is pending.

“The City of Hamilton is pleased to welcome this investment to the community and are encouraged for their grand plans for the CF Lime Ridge property. Tesla’s proposed investment will add yet another global brand to the many others that already call Hamilton home — including Amazon, L3 Harris, and DHL. We look forward to continue discussing with Tesla how they can expand their presence here,” said Norm Schleehahn, director of economic development with the City of Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 2:33 AM

Interesting that article mentions a Hamilton Tesla location as being a southwestern hub since Tesla has recently got zoning approval for a large dealership in south London, as well as rumours they are behind a zoning application for a location in the CF Masonville Place mall in north London. I would think London would be a southwestern hub and Hamilton a golden horseshoe hub. It does seem like Cadillac Fairview has a deal with Tesla though, as I think they have deals with several other of their malls to host Tesla outlets.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues