HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 4:49 AM
dvdktn

Calgary Cycling Paths & Infrastructure

Update anything cycling related in the city. Such as new and current bike-lanes, pathways, pedestrian and bike bridges. Vent your frustration about motorist if you're a cyclist or vise versa. Post images, and discuss best and worst cycling areas in Calgary. Those are just a few ideas for this thread.

For some reason or another in years past there was a prejudice against the bicycle. The high wheels were said to be dangerous, and when speedy-geared safeties were introduced they were not taken too kindly. Now however, all is changed. The prejudice has been removed and a man can mount a machine and pedal through the toughest of localities without fear of being molested by street arabs and called a dude.

New York Times, 1894

Last edited by DavidKuitunen; Nov 20, 2009 at 5:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 4:54 AM
dvdktn

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 6:38 PM

I have been an avid biker for years, for getting from A to B and from cycling for fun. Overall the river pathway system is great thing, combined with fish creek paths and nose creek, you can get around quite nicely.

One thing i really like is the addition last year of the stretch of path linking the north side of edworthy park (Bowness Rd NW at Shaganappi NW) to the top of the interchange at the foothills- childrens hospital area.
Before that was built, to get to the University I had to hustle with the Trans Canada traffic for a stretch, not a pleasant experience.

Bigest problem: Calgary is a very hilly place haha. Everyday that edworthy park coulee road SW is brutal, but at least some good exercise. Someone is going to be killed on that road one day, people drive like maniacs around those curves!

Good idea for a thread! Calgary is a great biking city

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:24 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
In the past few weeks I have noticed dedicated (or at least painted) bike lanes on streets in Glendale and Hillhurst/West Hillhurst. I believe the street in Glendale was 26 Ave SW, and in Hillhurst it was 6 Ave NW. In Hillhurst they have actually removed one vehicle lane (there used to be 2) and made one bike lane and a wider vehicle lane. Signs are posted to remind motorists to share the road.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:35 PM
Here and There

curbs on new calatrava (peace) bridge

I bike to work all summer and part of the spring and fall and I love the pathway system. We are all so fortunate to have such a great bike path system.

I am very excited for this new biker and pedestrian link across the river. The current bridge (uner the LRT line) is quite annoying mostly because of the impatient bikers that try to run people down and aggresively ringing their bells. Cant these (usually men) wait 10 seconds longer to cross the river under the LRT line?

I dont really see why curbs are needed on the new peace bridge. Why not just painted lines or different paving like vancouvers oceanfront pathway? Are these just there to control those annoying, aggressive power bikers that try to run people over? I think so. I can only imagine how they drive their cars..... lol

These curbs are more of a hazard than anything... I hope the name of the bridge brings some order and patience with it. Enjoy life people! and dont ruin it for the people that are trying to enjoy it more by biking!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:39 PM

Similar Route

Hi MasterG, I go through the same area as you do - starting in Signature Parke, down through Bow/Sarcee, down through Edworthy and then up West Campus Drive, etc and then over to the research park. Yes, that path is quite convenient (at least on the way down), although I actually prefer to take Shag-16 Ave on the way up to the interchange because it's a more consistent grade and doesn't meander. The shoulder on 16th is quite wide although all the gravel sucks - I'll definitely get back to the path if the roads are bad!

I know what you mean about the odd vehicle that bombs down Edworthy - esp. these days with all the ice coating the curves. Have you ever checked out bikecalgary.org? Great forum with lots of local commuters/racers/whatever sharing up-to-date info on routes, conditions, gear, incidents and lots of bike-infrastructure advocacy activities. I'm not connected with them at all but I've found it an invaluable resource...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:47 PM
Here and There

Rush hour

I find it so amazing how the bike paths have a rush hour. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see so many people using the paths. Along with the LRT, Calgary is an environmentally (and physically) conscious city. Give yourselves all a pat on the back! If you are also just trying to save money, you can also give yourself a pat on the back for being more phisically fit because of it!

Calgary is really growing on me. I love those hot afternoons after work when the trails are packed while I am heading home.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:49 PM
Round Head

I think the curbs on the peace bridge will be fine as long as the curb isn't too high so that pedals don't get stuck on them. Some grade separation is good I think.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:54 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I think the curbs on the peace bridge will be fine as long as the curb isn't too high so that pedals don't get stuck on them. Some grade separation is good I think.
But see.... you said "fine." You didn't say "good." lol

I still say no to curbs.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:56 PM
Round Head

^ I do think it's good. It helps keep cyclists from swerving into pedestrian traffic.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:59 PM
Here and There

Quote:
^ I do think it's good. It helps keep cyclists from swerving into pedestrian traffic.
I hear ya..... but if they didn't swerve and the world was perfect......

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:07 PM

I like the curb idea also.
The bridge will be over 6m wide so the curbs will not be a hazard in most situations.

I also like how the city plows many of pathways along the bow in the winter.
In the winter I cross over to the north side at edworthy for that reason.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Plus, the skateboarders will love 'em.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post

Bigest problem: Calgary is a very hilly place haha. Everyday that edworthy park coulee road SW is brutal, but at least some good exercise. Someone is going to be killed on that road one day, people drive like maniacs around those curves!

Good idea for a thread! Calgary is a great biking city

I never realized how hilly Calgary actually is until I started cycling more this year. The elevation change from my place down to river level is almost 600'. That's way more elevation than I ever had to deal with cycling in Vancouver. (Short of riding up to Grouse Mountain.)

The pathway system is great, but there's not much developed up here on the West edge of the city, just random bits here and there in various communities. I'd love to see a pathway built alongside the West and SouthWest ring roads and integrated into the Bow Valley Pathway.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam View Post
Hi MasterG, I go through the same area as you do - starting in Signature Parke, down through Bow/Sarcee, down through Edworthy and then up West Campus Drive, etc and then over to the research park. Yes, that path is quite convenient (at least on the way down), although I actually prefer to take Shag-16 Ave on the way up to the interchange because it's a more consistent grade and doesn't meander. The shoulder on 16th is quite wide although all the gravel sucks - I'll definitely get back to the path if the roads are bad!

I know what you mean about the odd vehicle that bombs down Edworthy - esp. these days with all the ice coating the curves. Have you ever checked out bikecalgary.org? Great forum with lots of local commuters/racers/whatever sharing up-to-date info on routes, conditions, gear, incidents and lots of bike-infrastructure advocacy activities. I'm not connected with them at all but I've found it an invaluable resource...

I haven't heard about that site, thanks for the reference! that could prove to be what i was looking for.

It's nice to hear that someone else has to put up with that gruelling hill, haha. In up in the coach hill/patterson area, so after edworthy its more uphill for me too. At least we no don't have to put in any time at the gym after that commute!

For me its about 25 mins door - to - door in the morning, usually 35 - 45 on the way back due to the increased hill. Its quite a bit faster than taking the bus, and its competitive with a car (due to a long walk from the lots on campus), minus the 4 dollar parking.
I hope it stays nice for a least a few more weeks, some mornings are getting pretty sketch going downhill. Im frozen by the time i reach the river!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
The pathway system is great, but there's not much developed up here on the West edge of the city, just random bits here and there in various communities. I'd love to see a pathway built alongside the West and SouthWest ring roads and integrated into the Bow Valley Pathway.
I think there are plans for a ring pathway system that would follow the ring road the whole way around the city.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 12:09 AM
dvdktn

Quote:
A curb is definitely not a bad idea for a bridge. It'll be easier to walk and ride across than the LRT bridge. It would be nice to see Calgary with waterfront pathways that resembled Vancouver's. I hate when I'm riding down the path and all the sudden there is a huge flock of people standing around in the middle of the path. Usually a family with little kids. There should be something that separates the pedestrians and cyclist for safety. Especially considering that the pathway's are going to be seeing more and more users every year.

Vancouver's divided pathway system:

Last edited by DavidKuitunen; Nov 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:35 AM

Can we at least all agree that we hate joggers?

Last edited by MarkL; Nov 24, 2009 at 5:47 AM. Reason: added picture of joggers

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:36 PM
Develop This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Everyday that edworthy park coulee road SW is brutal, but at least some good exercise. Someone is going to be killed on that road one day, people ride like maniacs around those curves!
...fixed that for ya there....I'm part of the workout group that assembles there at 5:00am during the weekdays and holy moley there are some fast moving cyclists that come down that hill, even with the ice....a few weeks ago some friends of mine had a biker cut the corner into their lane doing about 40kmh and plow into the front of their jetta, they lost the grille, hood and windshield, he got an ambulance ride out of it...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 4:48 AM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
In the past few weeks I have noticed dedicated (or at least painted) bike lanes on streets in Glendale and Hillhurst/West Hillhurst. I believe the street in Glendale was 26 Ave SW, and in Hillhurst it was 6 Ave NW. In Hillhurst they have actually removed one vehicle lane (there used to be 2) and made one bike lane and a wider vehicle lane. Signs are posted to remind motorists to share the road.
The Plan

The bicycle route improvement plan was coordinated with the West Hillhurst Community Transportation Study in 2008. Based on the feedback from the community and Calgary cyclists, here is the final plan:

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/...v_19street.pdf

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/...ov_5street.pdf

A few highlights of the plan:
  • Bicycle lanes on 5th Avenue N.W. from just east of 14th Street West to 19th Street West.
  • Shared lanes with bicycle stencils on 5th Avenue between 19th Street N.W. and Crowchild Trail.
  • Bicycle lanes on 5th Avenue N.W. for eastbound and westbound cyclists approaching Crowchild Trail.
  • Shared lanes with bicycle stencils on 19th Street N.W. from Broadview Road to 10th Avenue N.W.
  • An off-street bicycle lane northbound (up the hill) on 19 Street N.W. to provide more comfort for cyclists.
  • Alternative routing along 17A Street N.W. for cyclists who want a more gradual hill with less traffic.
  • A half signal across Kensington Road at 21st Street N.W. that can be activated by cyclists (push buttons).

*taken from the city website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates