HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 11:24 PM

Westbank seems to be getting the cream of the western clients - they built the Shaw HQ and now the Telus HQ.

My thought is that the new building appears to have the same problem the existing Telus building does: it presents a monotonous block-long 5-storey wall that creates a dead pedestrian corridor along Seymour. There is no street-level activity, few building entrances, and practically no retail along Seymour. The street is currently not the most secure place for pedestrians at night-time.

Speaking of redeveloping the block, assuming the whole block is demo'd for construction, would all of the Telus workers be relocated to The Boot for the next few years? Any Telus staff know of the plan? That would be a major loss of workers to the city centre for a few years, and I imagine it would produce a noticeable drop in business for the local businesses (lunchtime meals would be the most obvious hit).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 12:16 AM

The scheme should have a tunnel that connects via Vancouver Centre to the Canada Line station...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 12:21 AM

Expo line is pretty close too.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 12:44 AM
ON3P Skis

I actually quite like the small changes that have been made to the office component of the building. I think the two large Vs are great and don't mind that the angles are different than those in the north facing podium. The open plaza and wood and glass canopy looks pretty neat, definitely different, but I hate the HIDEOUS native art (hopefully that changes). I'd much prefer giant animals (such as the sparrows at the Olympic Village), perhaps ones based off of their marketing campaigns. My guess is the giant butterflies are projections? Pretty neat too.

I'm not too big of a fan of the Richards/Robson residential facade unless those brown vertical columns are something akin to what Henriquez did on Woodwards, then I will reserve judgement until the project is complete.

I think protruding boxes are a little played out already, but having trees in them is a little different, so that is kinda neat. Would be nice if the office tower was a little taller, but that could be said for many buildings. The small changes from the first render we say are good though and this will be a massive improvement on what is currently on the site.

edit: Would have been nice if they took that "V" detail and ran with it more and did something similar to the Hearst Building in NYC

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/Hearstowernyc.jpg

http://www.sustainableisgood.com/pho...rst_atrium.jpg

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 12:44 AM
Bridge Walker!

I like it, especially the Georgia side for sure although the tower design is definitely different. I concur with the 'V' columns criticism as well, 'X' columns might have been a better choice. Also Vancouver Centre might benefit as well due to the added verticality it will have so close by, somehow enhancing the blight, who knows.

Oh and the the Georgia canopy should be changed from the yellow I see there to hot pink. j/k!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 12:51 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
You're not suggesting we violate the holy sanctity of View Cone No. 9.2.2, as laid down by our City Fathers in the year 1989 A.D., by adding a 23rd or 24th floor, are you?

Heresy.
PRAISE JESUS! .... lol

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 1:22 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Digging the nighttime renders. The protruding boxes on the office tower give an unique advertising/visual art opportunity with the two LED screens.

The apartment complex looks interesting. Once again, it's all going to depend on what materials are used.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
The open plaza and wood and glass canopy looks pretty neat, definitely different, but I hate the HIDEOUS native art (hopefully that changes). I'd much prefer giant animals (such as the sparrows at the Olympic Village), perhaps ones based off of their marketing campaigns. My guess is the giant butterflies are projections? Pretty neat too.

Don't know why, but very often, new projects seem to feel OBLIGED to put in native art. I have nothing against native art, but I like it in natural settings.

I recall when the banking hall at the Royal Centre was first opened. It had thunderbirds and ravens everywhere. (I think that has changed) So YES to native art!! ... but not at the TELUS Centre Plaza, please .....

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Westbank seems to be getting the cream of the western clients - they built the Shaw HQ and now the Telus HQ.

My thought is that the new building appears to have the same problem the existing Telus building does: it presents a monotonous block-long 5-storey wall that creates a dead pedestrian corridor along Seymour. There is no street-level activity, few building entrances, and practically no retail along Seymour. The street is currently not the most secure place for pedestrians at night-time.

Speaking of redeveloping the block, assuming the whole block is demo'd for construction, would all of the Telus workers be relocated to The Boot for the next few years? Any Telus staff know of the plan? That would be a major loss of workers to the city centre for a few years, and I imagine it would produce a noticeable drop in business for the local businesses (lunchtime meals would be the most obvious hit).
The whole block isn't be redeveloped.
The existing Richards St. parking structures will be knocked over. The NE parkade (Georgia @ Richards) will become the new office tower and the SE parkade (Robson @ Richards) will become the condo tower.
The NW corner building that has the plaza and White Spot appears to be getting knocked over to build the 'overhang' building and part of the Georgia St. plaza under the archway.

The rest of the Telus buildings on Seymour will remain and there's no reason those buildings can't remain open while the construction is going on across the alley. They could get a facelift so they match the new towers.

Perhaps when the new Richards St. office tower is finished, some staff may be moved out of the old Seymour St. buildings so those floors can be gutted & modernized before some Burnaby 'boot' staff are brought downtown.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 2:08 AM

Where's the hideous native art? lol

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 2:11 AM
ON3P Skis

The three 3 sculpture things in the plaza rendering. I find all native art hideous (except Totem Poles, those are sweet) so it may seem to most that I am over-reacting.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 2:11 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The residential project would come afterwards as Telus requires use of the parkade, once the office component and associated parking is completed then the Telus parkade could be torn down, which works out nicely because as mentioned there is rezoning work to do for the residential tower.
Of course there is still work that needs to be done and things are subject to change.

At this time it's not expected that Telus employees from the Boot would be relocated, and there will be leasable space to outside tenants, and yes the existing William Farrell Building will be updated.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 2:13 AM
Reason and Freedom

Does nobody question the logic of cramming a canopy under another canopy? The pillar-supported space under the NE corner of the office tower could be a grand, glass-enclosed, open lobby, or a crystal box flagship store for a premier retailer (e.g. Apple), which would draw significant pedestrian traffic east of Granville and animate and excite the streetlife (both day and night) on that part of Georgia. But instead they are planning to stuff that covered space with a canopy?

Why would you want to clutter such valuable space with a strange and totally unnecessary (because the space is already covered) canopy? This will be an incredibly wasted opportunity, even by Vancouver standards, which is saying a lot.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 10, 2011 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 2:37 AM

I'm surprised Westbank seems to be developing the office tower on their own, rather than in conjunction with one of the major office developers ie Oxford, CF, Bentall etc... Is this just somthing that has not been announced yet or is Westbank looking to move more into the commercial development game? I would still assume they will be getting one of the majors in on an operational capacity once the building is completed.

Jlo, any insight into this? I am quite surprised we have heard nothing so far, especially considering Westbank's JV with Cadillac in Calgary.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Does nobody question the logic of cramming a canopy under another canopy? The pillar-supported space under the NE corner of the office tower could be a grand, glass-enclosed, open lobby, or a crystal box flagship store for a premier retailer (e.g. Apple), which would draw significant pedestrian traffic south of Granville and animate and excite the streetlife (both day and night) on that part of Georgia. But instead they are planning to stuff that covered space with a canopy?

Why would you want to clutter such valuable space with a strange and totally unnecessary (because the space is already covered) canopy? This will be an incredibly wasted opportunity, even by Vancouver standards, which is saying a lot.

Yup. Had a look at the rendering, and see exactly what you mean. That yellow curved canopy extends under the glass "box" and yes, it is an example of poor planning. That glass box could be an Apple store, or many other things.
Question: how do you get that feedback to the developer / architect?
They just pay you lip service ... "thank you for your interest ... bla bla ..." then go right on with their ill-conceived plans.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
The scheme should have a tunnel that connects via Vancouver Centre to the Canada Line station...

I agree with you, but people in Vancouver seem averse to tunnels, pedestrian or otherwise. They'll always find a reason why it is not necessary.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 3:04 AM
Vancouverite

I agree that they should add some retail to seymour, maybe one day the parkade across the street will be redeveloped

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
The whole block isn't be redeveloped.
The existing Richards St. parking structures will be knocked over. The NE parkade (Georgia @ Richards) will become the new office tower and the SE parkade (Robson @ Richards) will become the condo tower.
The NW corner building that has the plaza and White Spot appears to be getting knocked over to build the 'overhang' building and part of the Georgia St. plaza under the archway.

The rest of the Telus buildings on Seymour will remain and there's no reason those buildings can't remain open while the construction is going on across the alley. They could get a facelift so they match the new towers.

Perhaps when the new Richards St. office tower is finished, some staff may be moved out of the old Seymour St. buildings so those floors can be gutted & modernized before some Burnaby 'boot' staff are brought downtown.
The Telus video seems to indicate that yes indeed the whole block is being redeveloped:http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/inde...JTFd3agEbICl2p

Plus the official press release states the development is bounded by "...Georgia, Robson, Seymour and Richards"
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../09/c9046.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 3:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The Kingston is staying as is the existing William Farrell building which will be updated in the process.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 4:44 AM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver