HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think it might take a bit longer than that. You might see a 10th by 2020, but I wouldn't bet on 12 before 2030.

Future media contracts/overall improvement in the image of the league could change everything though. Really, the population of Southern Ontario could handle another team (London or KWC), but the interest in the CFL isn't really there right now (this is where the image part comes in). Hali and QC are definitely more likely at the moment, and I'd consider both equally important additions. Hali would give the league the "Coast to Coast" thing, and QC would give the Als a provincial rival (and depending how he Rouge et Noir market themselves in français), it could bump the LCF up a bit in French-language media.

Going to think big then the league has to push for growth. 12 teams would not stress the league and would actually make the league stronger in covering the WHOLE country....

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 3:24 AM

It's a shame that Southern Ontario wasn't more supportive of the league... if it was even mildly more enthusiastic you could fit one more team into Toronto, one in K-W, one in London. Southern Ontario could practically be its own division...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:55 AM

The CFL will be lucky to have a tenth team by 2020; there have been efforts to put a team in Halifax for forty years. They have all foundered on the lack of a stadium.

It seems as if pro sports in north america has reached the point of saturation. The NFL rumbles about expansion from time to time but is clearly more interested in London than anywhere else; Betmann mumbles and grumbles about more teams from time to time but I suspect it's just to comfort the owners he's fleeced to this point.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:38 PM

Are there stats to show how many fans there are in SW Ontario? Not TO; but West of TO? Wonder if London and KW would be different than TO and Hamilton. I hope Hamilton keeps getting stronger and believe the new stadium will help; but I think KW and London could both support teams...which rightfully couldn't happen until 10 or 12 years (after Halifax and QC). The new TV contract is great for the league. Hope it makes Ottawa, Hamilton and TO profitable and more teams can be considered.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 8:42 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I would be very happy if we can make it 10 teams by 2020 and 12 by 2030.
Halifax, QC, & one more in the west - I keep coming back to Kelowna for that one.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelphite View Post
Are there stats to show how many fans there are in SW Ontario? Not TO; but West of TO? Wonder if London and KW would be different than TO and Hamilton. I hope Hamilton keeps getting stronger and believe the new stadium will help; but I think KW and London could both support teams...which rightfully couldn't happen until 10 or 12 years (after Halifax and QC). The new TV contract is great for the league. Hope it makes Ottawa, Hamilton and TO profitable and more teams can be considered.
If one of your local billionaires wanted to build a stadium there next year I’d be all for granting him a team. I don’t think Halifax or Quebec would have to come first. I’d love to have them both, but they don’t need to be first.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
If one of your local billionaires wanted to build a stadium there next year I’d be all for granting him a team. I don’t think Halifax or Quebec would have to come first. I’d love to have them both, but they don’t need to be first.
We'll that would be great but not very likely
TO and Hamilton would block it (KW team)before QC or Halifax.
That's why I'm hoping for a team in 10 years or so....give time for TO and Hamilton to thrive and by then KWCG will be too big to deny.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Grand River Carp?
How about Grand Slammers?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 4:29 AM

How about adding another BC team and renaming the BC Lions to Vancouver lions?

Perhaps add a team in Victoria.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:02 AM

I don't think expansion is all that likely... It seems as though a lot of younger people are watching NFL instead these days.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 12:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
How about adding another BC team and renaming the BC Lions to Vancouver lions?

Perhaps add a team in Victoria.
I like the idea of having a team play in both in victoria and vancouver.

Call in the Vancouver Islanders.

I'm still big on calling a Halifax team the East Coast Giants, with giant mascaskill holding a big ol anchor.

More seriously QC I think has just shot up to top of the list as I think with a lower canadian dollar all chance of an NHL expansion is lost.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:02 PM
The New Republic

Moncton has nixed its chances of a franchise for the foreseeable future while Halifax's stadium plans remain an ongoing debate. Attention will gravitate to Quebec City despite Laval wanting the football market all to itself.

The NFL has made huge inroads in places like Quebec City due to the absence of the CFL. A Quebec City franchise will give the Alouettes a provincial rival while reclaiming the province beyond Montreal as CFL territory.

Halifax will then become the focus of the league in Atlantic Canada. A Halifax franchise would leave the league with 6 teams in the East and 5 teams in the West. Maybe by then, a 6th team in western Canada will be viable. Kelowna seems more fertile ground culturally than Victoria. 12 teams by 2030 is an achievable time line for the CFL.

Last edited by isaidso; Dec 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:18 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
I'm still big on calling a Halifax team the East Coast Giants, with giant mascaskill holding a big ol anchor.
I grew up in Halifax and have no idea what 'giant mascaskill' is.
Something mariner would work, but something naval would be even better. This is Canada's foremost military town after all.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I grew up in Halifax and have no idea what 'giant mascaskill' is.
Something mariner would work, but something naval would be even better. This is Canada's foremost military town after all.
Angus MacAskill. Legendary giant (lumberjack?) dude. From Cape Breton I think.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Angus MacAskill. Legendary giant (lumberjack?) dude. From Cape Breton I think.
Absolutely. He was once the tallest man in the world if I recall. There used to be a statue of him at the Halifax Citadel, although I have no idea what became of it. MacAskill's fame has diminished considerably in the last 30 years or so.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:35 PM
The New Republic

I see. A lumberjack doesn't fit well with Halifax. A privateer, on the other hand, is something locals could relate to.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I would be very happy if we can make it 10 teams by 2020 and 12 by 2030.
Halifax, QC, & one more in the west - I keep coming back to Kelowna for that one.
This is kinda out there. And someone talked about it in the CFL.ca forum. But what about Anchorage, Alaska as the 12th team?

Its so disconnected from the US mainland. No major sporting teams. A population over 500 000.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 8:38 PM
Reason and Freedom

What about the Atlantic Sea Wolves? Or Atlantic Tridents?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
This is kinda out there. And someone talked about it in the CFL.ca forum. But what about Anchorage, Alaska as the 12th team?

Its so disconnected from the US mainland. No major sporting teams. A population over 500 000.

Thoughts?
I would like to see expansion in Canada only. Just my thought...but it is the Canadian Football League and very unique from US style. If it became successful in the US, it would only be a matter of time before it was changed to suit their larger market (10 times our market).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelphite View Post
I would like to see expansion in Canada only. Just my thought...but it is the Canadian Football League and very unique from US style. If it became successful in the US, it would only be a matter of time before it was changed to suit their larger market (10 times our market).
I think American expansion could work, but it would have to be all medium markets near the Canadian border, like Anchorage, Spokane-Coure De laine, Boise, syracuse etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada