HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 2:33 PM

After looking at FargoStreets.com regarding the 25th Street Reconstruction, it appears that next year they'll FINALLY be widening 13th Avenue S from 38th to 45th Streets. This is excellent news. That spot where 13th turns off onto 42nd and it's down to two lanes is an absolute nightmare during rush hour.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 6:33 PM

Different Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
Fargo does not waste an inch of space. Fargo is much more compact because it allows businesses to build right next to sidewalks (which makes it hard to expand streets, but that's for another time).
Cities with similar populations such as Sioux Falls are much more spread out. Next time your in such a city, time yourself how long it takes to get across town. In Fargo/Moorhead, you can pretty much get anywhere you need to within 20 minutes (give or take 5).

Fargo actually has a true downtown or at the very least it has that feel to it and its only going to heighten if and when the Kilbourne Group builds that proposed tower...just imagine what that downtown would be like if those goofballs back in the 50's, or whenever it may have been, had I-94 run through downtown...or if Fargo would have built their downtown around I-94, whoever is to blame, it sure wouldn't hurt to have that traffic running through those businesses.

One thing Fargo needs to do or stop doing is giving out so many permits for apartment buildings. We may be a college town but I know for a fact all those apartment units are not being filled at such a rate that we need a new building to go up every month and I don't think I'm exaggerating here. It just cheapens the look of Fargo and it doesn't show any sense of permanency. Since we are indeed on the subject of mirroring cities, maybe we are shooting for something bigger like a major city because in 20 years Fargo will look like the projects...

With all that said, I still vote for Fargo because like TallBob stated, it does feel more urban, nobody can top the Bison, and after all, it is home.
Fargo and Sioux Falls are alike in the sense that they're the biggest cities in their respective states and they are both growing fast, but they are different as well. Sioux Falls has no large public university, whereas the FM area has two. This makes a big difference. I went to college in Iowa about an hour's drive southeast of Sioux Falls and this was the city we went to when we wanted to "go to the city." But Sioux Falls just isn't as lively as Fargo. They have a huge mall and a nice downtown, but it seemed to be a very suburban and corporate metropolitan area in comparison to Fargo. Fargo is also very suburban, but it doesn't have so much of a corporate culture which can be very confining, uncreative, and conformist. Sioux Fall's economy runs on back office banking and credit card servicing which isn't exactly very dynamic or interesting. I find Fargo to be more artistic, diverse, laid back, and liberal minded.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 5:46 AM

Besides being a little bigger than Fargo, Sioux Falls has a huge amount of restaraunts per capita than Fargo.... Otherwise, Fargo is culturally a little above SF. That will probably change over the next 10-15 years. Fargo/Moorhead get a little more influence from Minneapolis/St. Paul I also think.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 3:07 PM

Looks like the former AAA building finally has a prospective tenant after years of vacancy! The IDA (a two-way radio company) sign has been outside there for a while. Kind of perplexing as to why that building sat empty for so long; must have had an outrageous asking price due to the visibility.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 4:13 AM

Quaker Steak and Lube in Fargo on 45th street had "temporarily closed", citing they will be 'remodeling' and upgrading to a national restaurant chain.

Any clues?

Maybe this is why Red Robin hasn't attempted to build on the plot they previously announced?

The current Quaker Steak plot has been plagued by failing restaurants since Bennigan's Point Of Sale system crashed and the owners decided to just close it instead of fixing it!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:51 PM

Red Robin

The Red Robin plans for 4159 17th Ave. S. in Fargo were submitted on May 15th 2014 and were approved by all Fargo city offices. There must be some other reason that they have delayed their building.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl B Moretocome View Post
The Red Robin plans for 4159 17th Ave. S. in Fargo were submitted on May 15th 2014 and were approved by all Fargo city offices. There must be some other reason that they have delayed their building.
Maybe they realized we have enough burger joints and seeing how disgusting and overrated Sonics is, they put a halt to their own inevitable embarrassment...

I'm waiting for that local "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" type place to open up here in the FM area, but it seems this town loves the same monotonous burger/taco chains that are eventually in every corner of this country...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 3:25 PM

Liquor license transfer may signal Offutt headquarters in downtown Fargo

The way this reads to me: RD Offutt would built a new building on where that concrete parking lot is to the north of Fort Noks (and they just built that!), Fort Noks will continue operation, and RD Offutt would help to build a big parking ramp where the OB parking lot is.

Would be interesting to see a parking ramp on the NP Avenue parking lot, I know that idea has been tossed around before, but nothing seems to have come of it yet.

http://www.inforum.com/business/3659...downtown-fargo

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:15 AM

What happened to the developer wanting to build the 25-story mix-use tower? Any word? Fargo could use a couple of those....Well, maybe one!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:33 AM

As far as I know that Killbourne Group tower is on a bit of a hold. From last I heard, there were having difficulty finding an anchor tenant.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:41 AM

Fargo city leaders OK downtown riverside master plan

http://www.inforum.com/news/3670126-...de-master-plan

Quote:
rchitect Richard Moorhead gave Fargo city leaders a vision on Monday night of towering hotels along the riverfront, a glass-covered convention center straddling First Avenue North and bike trails connecting parks on both sides of the river.

They’re part of an updated master plan for development of the riverfront from Mickelson Park in the north to the dikes just east of Island Park in the south.

Other parts of the vision include a skywalk linking the riverfront buildings with Broadway businesses, a bike-trail loop connecting parks on both sides of the river and trolleys connecting downtown Fargo with downtown Moorhead.
Quote:
The five concepts include:

Concept 1: The convention center would overlook the river from where the Howard Johnson hotel is now, north of the new city hall, with a connection to the civic center. A new hotel connected to the convention center would be built where the Public Health Department is now; the department is moving into the former Sunmart on 13th Avenue in south Fargo. Another hotel tower would be built in the southeast corner of Civic Plaza with an attached parking ramp. New apartments would go where Mid-America Steel is now.

Concept 2: The convention center would straddle First Avenue North, taking up most of the southeast corner of Civic Plaza. A hotel and mixed-use development would go up at the Howard Johnson site. A concert hall and parking ramp would be built at the Mid-America Steel site.

Concept 3: The convention center would be built on the block were National Muffler used to be. It would be connected by a skywalk to a parking ramp and concert hall across the street in the southeast corner of Civic Plaza. A hotel tower would be within walking distance at the Mid-America Steel site.

Concept 4: The convention center would be at the Mid-America Steel site connected by skywalk to parking ramps to the east and west. The west ramp would be connected to a hotel tower at the National Muffler site. An apartment and office building would go up in the southeast corner of Civic Plaza.

Concept 5: There would be no downtown convention center. A performance hall would anchor the southeast corner of Civic Plaza with a mixed-use building and parking ramp across the street at the National Muffler site. Various residential buildings would be built at the Mid-America Steel site.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:51 PM

Fargo/Moorhead may be considering a trolley/steetcar system to improve downtown access issues: http://www.inforum.com/news/3680427-...access-problem

Quote:
“We don’t really have a parking problem – downtowns in general don’t have a parking problem – it’s an access problem,” said the former Cass County planner, who now works for a local engineering firm.

For inspiration, Zimney’s been looking to the past when streetcars connected downtown to neighborhoods to the north and south, and to Moorhead across the river. What if, he recently told the Downtown Community Partnership, downtown had a trolley again?

It’s an idea that’s made it into the city’s riverside development master plan and has been discussed around town. Nationwide, many cities have also started streetcar lines and seen new investments in their downtown properties.

Fargo City Commissioner Mike Williams, who chairs the city’s Parking Commission, said more than half of downtown land is not built on and, as the district grows in density, parking alone will not provide the access needed.

“I think it’s good to have this discussion because it promotes the idea about how do we get around the town when we’re building the areas that are getting to higher density,” he said.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsm View Post

http://www.inforum.com/news/3670126-...de-master-plan
Wow. I really hope this thing happens whatever concept they go with and Kilbourne Group does their thing as well...this would be exciting for this area!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 6:47 PM

Here's a more visual look at the different downtown riverfront options:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=862171397181153

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 9:17 PM

I hope they pick the two tower option. Does anyone know what happened to dakota place?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 8:16 AM

If they go with the two tower design, that will be three fairly tall buildings including the Kilbourne proposal, right?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 3:26 PM

Yeah, the overall shot at 0:53 looks pretty darn cool.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 12:18 PM

Yes the 3 towers idea is by far the most appealing. When are they breaking ground?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 12:26 AM

2015 Building Season ready to ramp up

The building is continuing at Essentia Hospital and the new Sanford Hospital is beginning to take shape. West Fargo 3rd phase Main Ave. project did not receive any bids due to bust construction crews and are determined now to split the phase into 2 smaller phases in hopes of luring bidders. I am still looking for more information about the Red Robin build, my brother works as an architect in Phoenix and his company is contracted to design all of Red Robins Restaurant's and he specifically has designed Fargo's, so it's still coming.

Other than that, I know there are many other projects out there, let's get talking.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 10:15 PM

I will get out some time the next week and get some pics of the various projects going up around the FM area. The Cashwise in West Fargo is up and should see the grand opening in the coming weeks. Also the new "Fargo" Harley Davidson that is locate in West Fargo just off Sheyenne and I94 is coming along nicely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest