HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:34 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
New PDF that shows layouts, drawings, renderings and more.....
http://www.slcairport.com/cmsdocumen...esentation.pdf
Wow, that's looking great. I'm excited to see how the new SLC terminal turns out.

SLC has nothing to worry about as far as losing its hub like Memphis and Cincinnati. The only thing that *might* happen is that Delta's recent growth in Seattle and Los Angeles might cut into SLC's traffic flows a little, mostly in traffic from Alaska/Pac-NW to California that might otherwise go through SLC. But I have my doubts the Seattle experiment will last and even if it does pan out for them the impact would not be that significant.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:48 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Great info thank you so much.

I like how the final date on the timeline calls for a decision, to either renovate the existing B, C, and D or to proceed with a new north concourse.

I wonder if SLC bid for the 2024 Winter games and is awarded the games if the entire time table might be sped up a bit, possibly more $$ from the Feds and possibly from Delta (if they were the official 2024 airline), just something I've wondered. Perhaps if awarded the games the construction of the north concourse would be simultaneous to Phase 1B.

I would venture to guess, Olympics scenario aside, that with the growth SLC and the entire state is having, the decision in 2023 will be to proceed with Phase 2, rather than renovate.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:16 PM

I wonder if they changes the renovation of the older concourse to the possible beginning Phase 2 in 2023 was due to this study:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-lake.html.csp
Study: Salt Lake airport headed for more congestion, overload
Future issues » Airports, including Salt Lake International, can expect more congestion, delays.

Quote:
With one in five flights delayed and major U.S. airports including Salt Lake City International hosting far more passengers than their capacity, flying is becoming increasingly difficult and frustrating.

Two reports issued Wednesday by the U.S. Travel Association and Eno Center for Transportation say that U.S. air travel facilities are in such bad shape that Thanksgiving-like passenger congestion usually experienced the Wednesday before the holiday will become a year-round reality at nearly all of the top 50 U.S. Airports within the decade.

The studies revealed that airports already are struggling to keep up with current air travel demand and that expected growth in passenger volume threatens to overwhelm the system. Federal budget constraints caused by sequestration and lack of income to upgrade air traffic control systems are major obstacles to improving the crisis.

The four major airports already experiencing Thanksgiving-like congestion levels at least one day every week include John F. Kennedy International in New York, McCarran International in Las Vegas, Orlando International and Chicago Midway. The report said that 24 of the top 30 airports, including Salt Lake City International, will experience the same congestion level within the next five years.

The report said that one day a week will feel like the Wednesday before Thanksgiving at Salt Lake International starting in 2016. Unless something is done to improve the situation, that will go up to two days in 2020 and every day in 2038.

Barbara Gann, spokeswoman for the Salt Lake airport, said the current facility was constructed to handle 12 million passengers a year but is currently hosting 20 million, making it already undersized. While the airport’s three runways can handle increased traffic, its outdated terminal cannot.

"That is one of the motivations for our terminal redevelopment program," said Gann. "That will address aging facilities as well as improving our facilities. It will address seismic risks and ease capacity constraints."

Gann said construction on new Salt Lake City International terminals is scheduled to begin next year with a completion date of 2019.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:14 AM
farmerboy

Love these renderings and the idea of giving the new airport a sense of place.

Love the textures and the focus on views of the mountains!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:17 PM

Those were my exact thoughts also Farmerboy, regarding the materials and textures. Too many of the newer airports as of late have used an overabundance of WHITE. Their focus is on an impressive comtemporary design, but ultimately for me the feeling is cold and vapid. Instead, Salt Lake City International is focusing on a warm, rich, welcoming atmosphere. IMO, that is extremely important.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:34 PM

I love the unique aspect of the architecture as well, I just wish there were higher ceilings.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:42 PM

Looks like there's quite a few areas with the higher ceilings though. When all is said and done, not sure how many, but I notice a few of the renderings with the cathedral ceilings. Look at page 18, two of the upper smaller renderings. Also page 20, with the rental car lobby. I agree, and hopefully there will be plenty of the customary vaulted ceilings.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I love the unique aspect of the architecture as well, I just wish there were higher ceilings.
There are. Check out the sketches on page 18.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 4:28 AM

Very cool renderings. I'm all for it.
But rail accounts for only 4% of arrivals/departures? Ouch.
I'd believe that's accurate for right now, but is that all they're planning for in the future?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 9:27 PM
Dare Mighty Things

This was announced today: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska...130000324.html

SLC'ers, I'm just curious: what's your take on the sudden Alaska Airlines expansion in Salt Lake City? In Summer 2014, the Alaska SLC schedule looks to be:

SLC-SEA 3x (2x 737/1x CR7)
SLC-PDX 2x (1x737/1x CR7)
SLC-LAX 1x 737
SLC-SAN 2x (1x 737/1x CR7)
SLC-SJC 1x 737
SLC-BOI 1x Q400
SLC-LAS 2x Q400
SLC-SFO 1x 737

(courtesy osubuckeyes from airliners.net for compiling the list)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 9:33 PM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Alaska Airlines

I already have airplanes flying over my house every five seconds, I wouldn't mind a few more from Alaskan Airlines.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
This was announced today: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska...130000324.html

SLC'ers, I'm just curious: what's your take on the sudden Alaska Airlines expansion in Salt Lake City? In Summer 2014, the Alaska SLC schedule looks to be:

SLC-SEA 3x (2x 737/1x CR7)
SLC-PDX 2x (1x737/1x CR7)
SLC-LAX 1x 737
SLC-SAN 2x (1x 737/1x CR7)
SLC-SJC 1x 737
SLC-BOI 1x Q400
SLC-LAS 2x Q400
SLC-SFO 1x 737

(courtesy osubuckeyes from airliners.net for compiling the list)

Wow... 3 more cities. Alaska is really coming on strong! Don't be surprised to see some hawaii/mexico flights too.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 9:48 PM

Oh, and after all the cuts that Southwest has made to SLC, they have actually now added a flight to HOU.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 10:00 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post

SLC'ers, I'm just curious: what's your take on the sudden Alaska Airlines expansion in Salt Lake City?
Not an SLCer, but I like planes. This Alaska expansion at SLC goes back to the Delta-Alaska codesharing agreement out of Seattle: Delta wanted to build up their international presence at Seattle, and Alaska would provide a bunch of domestic connecting feed. Delta then went and started adding domestic routes out of Seattle, and Alaska is finally retaliating against Delta changing the agreement by adding flights against Delta by attacking Delta's SLC hub.

As to how this Alaskan expansion will affect SLC, I'll leave that up to the locals.

Last edited by seventwenty; Dec 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 12:19 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think it reflects demand from SLC as a starting point and as a destination. I honestly think as news like this continues over the next 10 years that phase II (north concourse) of the expansion will occur rather than simply stopping at the end of Phase I.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 4:12 AM

I haven't posted on the topic in a while, but here are some additional renderings. Keep in mind it is still not finalized but for the most part, this is what it will be for phase 1. Phase 2 will add the additional concourse to the north connected with tunnels and automated people mover train. There is also space reserved for a large airport hotel built adjacent to the terminal in phase 2.

As for other SLC news, the new Alaska routes have been mentioned. Alaska has moved to terminal 1 and operates out of concourse A. Previously they had used a Delta gate and check-in was in terminal 2. Alaska could indeed add more routes but they are limited on gate space. SLC-Hawaii nonstop on Alaska is not likely right now because they don't have the aircraft with the needed range and performance to make it nonstop from SLC. There is enough demand, but it will have to be one-stop via other cities. Mexico could happen, we'll see.

Other new routes include Delta non-stop to Raleigh/Durham, NC which started today. SkyWest (Delta Connection) was awarded essential air service grants from the federal government to start new flights from SLC to Moab and Vernal beginning in March. There will be two flights a day to each city (1 on Sat/Sun). This service will replace existing service from Vernal to Denver and Moab to Denver on Great Lakes Airlines. The flights to Vernal and Moab will be operated with 30 seat Embraer Brasilia aircraft.

The Delta/Alaska competition is heating up and it will be interesting to see what Delta does to protect its turf.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 4:29 AM

Awesome.. Thanks for the new renders. Can't wait for the final renderings whenever they come out. I just want to see big and airy.

As for Alaska Airlines to Hawaii, would not the 737-700/900ER be sufficient for the distance, or is the altitude too much? The range for those are about 3700. Would that not be enough to cover the 2990 to honolulu?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 5:23 AM

It is possible, yes. The plane itself can fly the distance. It's getting off the ground in SLC with a decent payload where the problem lies. A 737 flying that long a route out of SLC plus needing to meet ETOPS (extended range twin operations) restrictions and flying into headwinds would result in significant weight restrictions, meaning carrying less payload.

Perhaps with the new generation 737 Max coming out in a few years it might be feasible.

I think Hawaiian Airlines could start SLC service and do well. The SLC-Hawaii market is quite large. There's room for another airline besides Delta to serve Hawaii nonstop.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 8:22 PM
The Drifter

I see those renderings and I am hoping for lots of natural wood and copper cladding. I think copper cladding on the outside of the building would be unique and fit very well for Salt Lakes airport.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I see those renderings and I am hoping for lots of natural wood and copper cladding. I think copper cladding on the outside of the building would be unique and fit very well for Salt Lakes airport.
These look great! I also agree that natural wood and copper ought to be used.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West