HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:02 PM
thirty three and a third

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
There’s some activity going on at the end of Cuffman Street. It looks like land prep and all the trees have been cleared out.

Work at the new St. Mary’s gas bar is also making good progress (still hoping for a Starbucks)

It seems like all the work has stopped at St. Mary's new gas bar - all the equipment is gone.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:58 PM

New signage underway at former NB Liquor Prospect. Any word on what's happeneing here?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:31 PM

Signage going up on Downtown Hilton

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:54 PM

Heard this on the news the other day but missed the story - New park planned for south of Bishop Drive in Fredericton - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rive-1.4700882.

The park itself would be welcome in the area but the article also mentions that this land and adjacent could be considered for a new pool and also a school to service Hanwell.

I'll be interested to hear the feedback after the public meeting tonight.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Devon View Post
Heard this on the news the other day but missed the story - New park planned for south of Bishop Drive in Fredericton - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rive-1.4700882.

The park itself would be welcome in the area but the article also mentions that this land and adjacent could be considered for a new pool and also a school to service Hanwell.

I'll be interested to hear the feedback after the public meeting tonight.
I like the park idea though I hope they make the routes there more walker and biker friendly. The school would be in a good location but Han well has been lobbying for their own school rather than one in the city limits. Will be interesting which group wins out.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:39 PM

This month's PAC package has a lot of details about the proposed Carleton Street office building: http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...pacjun2018.pdf

City staff are supporting all of the variances required so it should go ahead as-is. The package also explains why they are not enforcing the built-form guidelines for this development.

Hopefully it will actually be 7 storeys.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:06 PM
The Sheriff

When is the ring road round about suppose to start ? the one connection ring road and two nations crossing ?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:19 PM

I haven't heard. I've noticed some pylon markers at Maple and Brookside that seem to be setting up to close lanes, but I'm not sure if it is for that work in particular or for something else. Westmoreland is going to be closed Canada Day evening, but that seems way too early to leave the barricades and pylons out.

It'll probably start the week after Canada Day, or maybe next week once school is done.

Government site on the project. Sadly they only list a start date of "Summer 2018". I sent an email to the address on the website to see if they will release a more specific date.

Last edited by Taeolas; Jun 21, 2018 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 7:58 PM

Last CRU at the Former Canadian Tire on Main is now revealed. Called Simply for Life. I assume it is some type of nutrition/lifestyle service.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 8:01 PM

Reports saying the Mayor to reveal that planning to officially start soon on new Aquatics Centre and Field house. Also that the roundabout at Smythe & King will be built next year. In his SoC address

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Reports saying the Mayor to reveal that planning to officially start soon on new Aquatics Centre and Field house. Also that the roundabout at Smythe & King will be built next year. In his SoC address
Well that's going to make my morning commute fun next summer. Oh well, I'll endure it since the result should be lots of fun. I'm looking forward to that roundabout. And hopefully the slipway from St Annes to Woodstock will be minimally impacted for most of the construction, so I won't be that affected in the end.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 1:38 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Aquatics Centre and Field house and how much is this gonna cost the tax payers ?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Aquatics Centre and Field house and how much is this gonna cost the tax payers ?
More than twice as much as it should because they are going to build 2 facilities at 3/4 of the size we actually need, one on the North side and one on the South side. (I hope I am joking)

For what it is worth, while I probably won't use the facilities, I don't mind supporting the city building the new ones. It's well past time we stopped relying on the Universities to plug the gap of services we should have as a city, and let the University pay the City for a change basically.

I just hope they don't do another stupid "both sides" compromise like they did with the arenas.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
For what it is worth, while I probably won't use the facilities, I don't mind supporting the city building the new ones. It's well past time we stopped relying on the Universities to plug the gap of services we should have as a city, and let the University pay the City for a change basically.

I just hope they don't do another stupid "both sides" compromise like they did with the arenas.
As a semi-interested outside observer and increasingly frequent visitor (one of my sons currently lives in Freddy after graduating from engineering from UNB), I have the following observation.

Freddy now has a CA population north of 100k, and will soon be Canada's newest CMA. It really isn't that much smaller than SJ and Moncton and as such I think it's time that Freddy starts playing with the big boys.

If SJ and Moncton have major arenas, then so should Freddy (and I don't mean leaching off the Aitken Centre like you guys have for the last 30-40 years or so).

There are major aquatic facilities in SJ and in Dieppe (Moncton). Freddy should have one too. Either cough up the cash to have a joint facility with UNB or get off your touche and build one yourself.

SJ is building a fieldhouse on the exhibition grounds. Moncton has major recreational complexes at the CN Sportplex and the Hal Betts Complex (but no fieldhouse per se). If Freddy wants a fieldhouse, then go ahead and build it.

Freddy shouldn't be so reliant on the university to provide it's recreational facilities. Freddy is big enough to build these things on it's own. I appreciate the northside/southside dilemma, but there is east SJ and west SJ too, and Moncton is even worse with Moncton/Riverview/Dieppe. Compromises have to be made. Most Frederictonians live on the south side of the river. That's where most of the recreational facilities should be built.

Fredericton - It's time to seize your destiny. You aren't just a sleepy little capital city and university town any more. You are soon to be one of the big boys, joining an elite company of about 35 CMAs in Canada. If you want the trappings of a big city, then you are going to have to pony up the cost of building these amenities.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:19 PM

No arguments from me at all. We always seem to be on the cusp of greatness, but too often we've been leeching off of the University to avoid making the big decisions.

Which is why I said I have no problem with the city supporting a new aquatics centre; the facility does seem to be something we're due to get going.

The problem is, we're due for a lot of stuff because we've rested on our laurels for so long and just punted issues, so we're going to see a bit of a crunch, with projects like the Playhouse and the Aquatics Centre and more coming due. Hopefully the city council will bite the bullet and go through with them; but I'm having a few doubts.

A few pages back, I brought up the idea that we need a dedicated events centre now too. It's something we should've taken care of when WillieO'Ree/Grant-Harvey were approved; but the council split the baby and now we don't have a facility that meets those needs.

Ideally a 7-8,000 seat centre like Harbour Station would be great either on the NBEx grounds or the Railway Grounds downtown, and would hopefully start bringing more activity to the city; but with the other projects in the pipeline, it isn't something that will be coming for a decade or so now.

Anyways, for me, you're preaching to the converted MonctonRad.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
As a semi-interested outside observer and increasingly frequent visitor (one of my sons currently lives in Freddy after graduating from engineering from UNB), I have the following observation.

Freddy now has a CA population north of 100k, and will soon be Canada's newest CMA. It really isn't that much smaller than SJ and Moncton and as such I think it's time that Freddy starts playing with the big boys.

If SJ and Moncton have major arenas, then so should Freddy (and I don't mean leaching off the Aitken Centre like you guys have for the last 30-40 years or so).

There are major aquatic facilities in SJ and in Dieppe (Moncton). Freddy should have one too. Either cough up the cash to have a joint facility with UNB or get off your touche and build one yourself.

SJ is building a fieldhouse on the exhibition grounds. Moncton has major recreational complexes at the CN Sportplex and the Hal Betts Complex (but no fieldhouse per se). If Freddy wants a fieldhouse, then go ahead and build it.

Freddy shouldn't be so reliant on the university to provide it's recreational facilities. Freddy is big enough to build these things on it's own. I appreciate the northside/southside dilemma, but there is east SJ and west SJ too, and Moncton is even worse with Moncton/Riverview/Dieppe. Compromises have to be made. Most Frederictonians live on the south side of the river. That's where most of the recreational facilities should be built.

Fredericton - It's time to seize your destiny. You aren't just a sleepy little capital city and university town any more. You are soon to be one of the big boys, joining an elite company of about 35 CMAs in Canada. If you want the trappings of a big city, then you are going to have to pony up the cost of building these amenities.
I think you're being a bit harsh. Obviously the city wants all of these facilities but they also have to be fiscally responsible – something that the city of Fredericton is very good at.

The city has made many significant investments in the last decade or so adding to and upgrading recreational facilities: Grant Harvey, Willie O'Ree, the York Arena, the new splash pad, the new Queen's Square pool, the tennis facility, the Officer's Square improvements, etc. Then there's the convention centre, the Playhouse upgrades, the coming skate park, etc. On top of this the city has been doing a ton of infrastructure renewal and upgrades. Obviously all of this needs to be prioritized and it's clear that the city intends to build an aquatics facility at some point as well.

I'm not convinced that Fredericton needs a major arena though. It will probably make sense at some point but it's not something I'd prioritize right now.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Won't happen. Already have the Indoor Pool and Field house on the Northside

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I'm not convinced that Fredericton needs a major arena though. It will probably make sense at some point but it's not something I'd prioritize right now.
True, a major arena/events center is something that would be a 2030's target at this point, but it would also be something that would be good to start planning for now. In my opinion, there are two excellent core locations for such a centre; but one of them is getting a heavy push to be turned over to residential use. (and the other is getting a push for development, but not as heavy). If the city were smart, they would start some studies and plans for the event centre, and do what they can to keep the options open while not interfering too much. So when they are ready to go whole hog into such a project, they won't be stuck with bad choices for the future.

Anyways, that's just the current bee in my bonnet, considering all the publicity Moncton's centre is getting. To be fair to the city, the aquatics centre joins the Playhouse as another major project coming in the pipeline; so the city is clearly doing something. And I fully believe we're going to see a significant boom in interest and developments in the years to come as we reach the CMA tier and join the 'big leagues'.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A major downtown arena is a long term project. From the first push to consider a replacement for the Coliseum to the present nearly complete events centre has been about a 10 year odyssey for the city of Moncton.

The hard part was getting federal and provincial funding for the project, something our former mayor George LeBlanc gets very little credit for. He did a really good job under difficult circumstances (Harper/Alward administrations) and I'm sure this took years off his life.

If you want a new major arena in the 2030s, I suggest you start the process in the next 3-5 years. Now might be the time to think about attracting a tenant (QMJHL team).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:57 PM

Last night was the first time they held the new Carleton Street market. Lots of vendors, tons of people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces