HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 8:01 PM
Sanity merchant

Start spreading the news: London is getting twice-daily direct flights to the Big Apple.

The United Express flights start Oct. 26 and will whisk travelers from London International Airport to Newark Liberty International Airport in 90 minutes.

The New York flights will allow business travelers to get to New York and back the same day and will make leisure travel more convenient, said London airport chief executive Michael Seabrook.

“It is more feasible to book a weekend getaway in the Big Apple and enjoy all the sports, culture and dining of one of the most fabulous cities in the world,” Seabrook said in a statement.

The flights will be serviced by 50-seat regional jet aircraft operated by ExpressJet, a United Express partner.

The Newark airport has easy access to Manhattan and offers connecting flights to many destinations.

The new flights, Seabrook said, combined with the daily United flights to Chicago, give London travelers connection to destinations across the world.

Mayor Joni Baechler applauded the New York flights.

“This New York destination expands our presence internationally both for existing businesses in London, and for potential new opportunities. Accessible, quick, easy transportation by air is vital in today’s world economy," Baechler said in a statement.

For travelers looking for a tropical getaway this winter, London Airport has also landed direct flight service for Celebrity Cruise ships leaving from Florida. The all-inclusive weekly packages for eastern or western Caribbean cruises begin Feb. 7 and run to April 12.

London International Airport – Newark Liberty International Airport.

Two flights depart Newark daily:

2:30 p.m., arriving in London at 4:04 p.m.
7:39 p.m., arriving in London at 10:13 p.m.

Two flights depart London daily:

6:01 a.m., arriving in Newark at 7:30 a.m.
4:39 p.m., arriving in Newark at 6:08 p.m.

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/07/14/lo...ts-to-new-york

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 12:40 AM
The Vomit Bag.

great news. I may even take a trip to the Big Apple. From "new" London to New York.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:31 PM

Great news to see London get another direct flight, prices are pretty reasonable as well certainly a good option for connections as well.

I hope in time with the relationship London Airport/United has it forces WestJet and Air Canada to start looking to London for more direct flights taking some strain off Pearson.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 8:01 PM
Sanity merchant

I understand the need for more flights, but damn it's pricey to fly in Canada... Get NY down to 300 or so then I may be game.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 11:01 PM
Sanity merchant

Westjet ones from about 4 years ago at London Airport, the jet fighter was from today

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 1:45 AM
The Vomit Bag.

London Airport: tumbleweeds and crickets. I love the ease of checking in and passing through security. But man, it is so fucking dead at the airport. I pass through about 5-7 times per year, return.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:28 AM
Sanity merchant

still nice to go and plane watch

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:38 AM

London airport maybe quiet but when you are use to the busy airports, London is the stuff dreams are made of.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 12:59 AM
Sanity merchant

Was posted on the airports twitter feed

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 12:45 PM
User Registered

Context? Link? Date?

Sorry I'm interested lol

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 1:07 PM

Hmm what does that mean exactly, hopefully not just a random old picture haha.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 3:52 PM
Sanity merchant

London Intl Airport ‏@london_airport Aug 13

This 1970s Viscount awaits passengers at the @london_airport. Notice anything familiar about the tower? #TBT #LdnOnt

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 2:18 PM
Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
still nice to go and plane watch
If you like plane watching, check out Katana Kafe. It's right on the landing stip. If you own your own aircraft you can fly in for lunch

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 4:41 PM
Sanity merchant

Been there. But lots of times, I just go to the dirt road behind the airport, as there's no need to buy food, and just veg out listening to music or a podcast

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:06 PM

I would love to see more direct flights out of London that are competitively priced. Toronto is becoming more and more difficult to fly out of. Maybe London should make a deal with someone like Delta so you could fly from London-DTW then onto your final destination.

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/10/08/lo...ion-in-toronto

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:33 PM

With United to Chicago, you can get pretty much anywhere in the world from London. For those of us who prefer not to transfer in the U.S., there is also Air Canada to Montreal or Toronto.

I agree that more of that type of set-up would probably be good for London, though I expect the route would need to have passengers terminating at the destination, and not exclusively transferring on. Detroit might make sense, and even better I think would be one of the New York airports. Then Londoners would have Chicago for connections to the western U.S. and Asia; and New York for Europe (and everywhere else).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 11:37 PM
Downtown

In the summer WestJet has daily flights direct from London to Winnipeg, and then on to Calgary and Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:38 PM

Westjet now offering 2 flights in and our of London to Toronto daily. Not a bad price either, at least expands options compared to driving/parking depending on your travel plans.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...london-ontario

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 2:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

If high speed rail ever comes to London, LIA will become almost redundant, particularly if there is a Pearson stop.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 2:44 AM

That is a huge 'if.' But you're absolutely right that LIA would become almost totally irrelevant. The (latest of many, it must be said) proposal the Liberals have put forward includes a Pearson stop. Who would fly out of London, at increased cost, when you could take any manner of transportation downtown, catch a high-speed train to Pearson, and fly anywhere in the world (direct!) from there?

Who knows. It could happen- this time. Toronto-Montreal or Toronto-Ottawa would be much more sensible for our first HSR line, but it would be great to have it in the south west.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure