HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 7:20 PM

With WestJet seeming to move increasingly to Winnipeg needing to connect through another city I think that long term their move to also running regional jets is going to hurt Winnipeg more than it helps.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 6:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

I don't think that it will hurt or help Winnipeg. Some routes that are over capacity right now will switch to regional jets. Others will run regional jets at certain times of the day. Others still (Saskatoon and Regina) should now be able to start up again.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don't think that it will hurt or help Winnipeg. Some routes that are over capacity right now will switch to regional jets. Others will run regional jets at certain times of the day. Others still (Saskatoon and Regina) should now be able to start up again.
The Q400 are prop aircraft (not jets) but pretty close to the speed of a jet on short routes such as the flight to Saskatoon and Regina. When WestJet operated the Saskatoon flight I used to connect in Winnipeg to Ottawa and Montreal. Now I have to connect in Calgary and Toronto. End result is I am back to usually flying Air Canada.

Adding the regional aircraft should help Winnipeg increase the number of flights and frequency on some flights. That said, it probably will be a fairly small improvement.

On a side note, I was connecting in Winnipeg on Air Canada about two weeks ago and there were a few local Winnipeg passangers due to flight cancellations that were being rerouted through Saskatoon to get to Toronto. Never expected to see that but it probably happens sometimes and is likely better than connecting in Calgary or Edmonton.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
With WestJet seeming to move increasingly to Winnipeg needing to connect through another city I think that long term their move to also running regional jets is going to hurt Winnipeg more than it helps.
WestJet has been hurt a lot by Allegiant especially in this city, a 2.5 hour drive to Grand Forks ND, $50. to park for a week, and saving well over $1000. for a family of four, hell yeah.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 8:18 PM
Heart of the Continent

Ummm, westjet flights south are full...I was just on two.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 8:20 PM
Heart of the Continent

Also, the main price difference is not paying the taxes when you cross the border by car rather than air. I like Winnipeg getting more flights, so, I'll fly from our beautiful new airport.

Allegiant is a different story.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 9:50 PM
BANNED

The whole "flying out of the US" thing isn't just a Winnipeg problem; it also affect many other Canadian cities close to the American border across Canada. Here in Lethbridge, our airport has been unable to secure any kind of flights to the US simply because people can drive just 2.5 hours to Great Falls, Montana and fly Allegiant Air to places like Phoenix, Los Angeles and Las Vegas for hundreds less than out of here or Calgary. The same things is also happening in Vancouver, Abbotsford, Toronto and Hamilton. This is hurting many of our Canadian cites in a big way. But really, what can you do? What is a realistic way to combate the US plane drain?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
The whole "flying out of the US" thing isn't just a Winnipeg problem; it also affect many other Canadian cities close to the American border across Canada. Here in Lethbridge, our airport has been unable to secure any kind of flights to the US simply because people can drive just 2.5 hours to Great Falls, Montana and fly Allegiant Air to places like Phoenix, Los Angeles and Las Vegas for hundreds less than out of here or Calgary. The same things is also happening in Vancouver, Abbotsford, Toronto and Hamilton. This is hurting many of our Canadian cites in a big way. But really, what can you do? What is a realistic way to combate the US plane drain?
Saw Kevin O'Leary and Amanda Lang battle on this very issue, O'Leary's take was that taxes were most of the problem on the Canadian side. Here in Winnipeg people flying to Phoenix, LV or Orlando save about half of what any Canadian airline is charging by flying from the US.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 10:07 PM
BANNED

Why are the taxes so high here? What particular reason are they needed for? What can be done to lower them or eliminate some of them altogether to make our cities more competitive to fly from?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 10:10 PM

The airports, security, and navigation system are self funded in Canada. Land rent costs for the airports is an issue, but I doubt if they were eliminated fee prices would show the full drop. Also, since most airport are a monopoly there likely hasn't been enough competition to guard against overbuilding facilities either through size or style.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Why are the taxes so high here? What particular reason are they needed for? What can be done to lower them or eliminate some of them altogether to make our cities more competitive to fly from?
You have to pay a few bucks for US Agriculture Inspection; A few more bucks for a US 9/11 ant terror/security tax; a few more for US Customs Inspection; coming back you have to pay for Canadian Customs/Immigration.

Part of the problem is on the Canadian side; however there are also taxes imposed by the Americans for their inspection that are not charged when driving. These taxes are not charged on domestic flights on either side of the boarder.

If you wanted a level playing field they should charge those to everyone driving across the board. However that is not going to happen.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 6:42 PM

Flying from US airports on American carriers, you do not have to pay for the air traffic control system nor the airport security system. The US government pays that. Flying form Canada on a Canadian carrier, it is the traveller who pays for those services.

Huge savings for a family of 2, 3 or more to fly on an American carrier from a US airport.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
You have to pay a few bucks for US Agriculture Inspection; A few more bucks for a US 9/11 ant terror/security tax; a few more for US Customs Inspection; coming back you have to pay for Canadian Customs/Immigration.

Part of the problem is on the Canadian side; however there are also taxes imposed by the Americans for their inspection that are not charged when driving. These taxes are not charged on domestic flights on either side of the boarder.

If you wanted a level playing field they should charge those to everyone driving across the board. However that is not going to happen.
As an example taxes on a "free" aeroplan flight from Saskatoon via Toronto to the Florida from a trip I did this year (the flights may be free but you still have to pay $170 in taxes and surcharges); specifically:

12.10 Canada Security Charge (CA)
5.2 US Agriculture Fee (XA)
7.3 US Immigration Inspection (XY)
5.70 US Customs User Fee (YC)
23.00 Canada Airport Improvement Fee (SQ)
1.04 GST(RC)
34.00 US Domestic Transportation Tax (US)
54.00 (YQ)
4.81 GST (XG)

I think the American government is just as bad as the Canadian government.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:15 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
I find Toronto's to be so completely bland and devoid of all life. Plus, it might just be the most poorly designed and operated airport of fewer than 35 million passengers in the world. The terminals are so far apart, there is no cohesion and I swear, every flight is delayed.

Just my thoughts.
No, the worst airport bar none is LAX.

Spent too much time there on a flight to Sydney this past ummer.

Nothing compares to what a hodge podge of different, and outdated structures they have..

I had to walk outside on a cold crappy california evening and across a highway to get to the next terminal.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:35 AM

^ I'm with you on that one, OTL.... I hate LAX.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lax was designed by a dyslexic person i think as it seems to make sens to me how its all layed out though its definatly dated like walking back in time

though coming into it does give u a feel for just how incredibly massive la is... driving into it does not do it justice

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:46 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

It's amazing how universally awful that airport is, nothing really compares to it.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...worst-airports

What's the worst airport in the world? LAX!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/blog/200...-in-the-world/

There's a whole gamut of websites out there recommending layover dodges to bad LA strip clubs and the 'like to avoid spending anytime there.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:49 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

A cute quote from the lonely planet article..

On what makes a terrible airport:

"Our Twitter master Mark waxes philosophical: ‘It is difficult to answer this question simply. Airports are designed to be inconspicuous, so the worst airports are those that have failed to reach these heights of organised boringness."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:55 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

My own opinion about the new Winnipeg terminal is that it's sterile and pretty much the same as every other airport in the world.

It sucks, and is a poor substitute for the building it replaced.

No character, no warmth..jack shit to do there. There's no way that building will ever inspire a love of aviation in younger generations the way the old terminal did with its observation deck and cool modernist style.

Starchitect Pelli did this city an injustice.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 3:40 PM

Any ideas why there are so many planes flying over my house at night? they don't fly over during the day. I think it's a recent thing. I'm in Riverview.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan