HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:09 PM

Drawings [PDF - 22MB] for Restoration Hardware, which is going before the Historic Landmarks Commission for Design Advice again today. Pretty similar to the previous iteration.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [PDF - 22MB] for Restoration Hardware, which is going before the Historic Landmarks Commission for Design Advice again today. Pretty similar to the previous iteration.
and still awful.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 7:48 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
and still awful.
And that's being kind. I'm amazed that Restoration Hardware isn't willing to take a historic look at the neighborhood and build something that's appropriate.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 7:48 PM

Emerick Architects have submitted their 21st and Irving Apartments for Historic Resource Review:

Quote:
Demo of exising structure for development of 4 story mixed use development including 57 living units and 55-62 parking spaces. Historic resource review with 6 modifications.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 11:15 PM

Looks like a retail development at 1710 W. Burnside? It was Gaya Gaya Sushi for years, and then I thought there was a proposal for a centralized bottle/can recycling center. Hope a new building happens here, it's such a highly visible corner (where Alder Street starts, angling to the right of Burnside) and has been an eyesore for so long.

IMG_0666 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:32 PM

On the Design Commission agenda for August 6th:

Quote:
EA 15-179927 DA – 2030 NW 17th Ave at Front Ave
Chris Caruso, 503-823-5747
(estimated 90 minutes)

APPLICANT: Andrew Schilling, THA Architecture
ADDRESS: 2030 NW 17th Ave at Front Ave

Design Advice Request for two new buildings of approximately 300,000 SF including leasable office, ground floor retail, amenity space and underground parking
To put that in context 300,000 sq ft is slightly larger than Pearl West or Daimler Trucks. I wonder if this is speculative or if they have a tenant committed.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:55 PM
Karma Police

That's a tough location (north of the Fremont, wedged between the tracks and Front Ave) for it to be speculative. If they're proposing that much square footage, they must have an anchor tenant in mind.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 11:58 PM

Jaguar Land Rover keeps buying offices with bike lanes outside them and no off street parking

Quote:
Jaguar Land Rover could see tax breaks under $4 million Portland expansion plan

Jaguar Land Rover hopes to open another office in Portland later this year, and economic development officials say the city should expand the borders of state-run property tax exemption program to help benefit the British automaker.

If approved, the company would save an estimated $264,000 on property taxes during the five-year program period. Jaguar Land Rover pledges to spend at least $4 million on its expansion while adding 50-80 new high-paying jobs.

Earlier this year, Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) said it planned to expand its research and development facility in Portland, adding dozens of jobs at a new "innovation incubator" center. The new facility will focus on investing in new companies and help them create new technologies to use in future automobiles to help improve safety and productivity for drivers.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 11:27 PM

Riverplace Lot 8

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 11:30 PM

Waterline Apartments

Don't let the barrel vaulted roof and the brick veneer arches fool you: this was completed in 2015, not 1992.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:36 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Don't let the barrel vaulted roof and the brick veneer arches fool you: this was completed in 2015, not 1992.
Well, it's certainly priced like 2015. Studios start at $1400. 1 bedrooms start at $1530 and 2 bedrooms start at $2100. That seems like a challenging location for those prices... but... I guess people will pay it. Oof.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 7:48 PM

The NW Portland Hostel by SERA Architects has a building permit under review:

Quote:
Construct new 5 story hostel building with 21 units, basement level includes storage, mechanical room, laundry room, restroom and housekeeping area; main floor includes lobby area and cafe with seating; levels 2-4 includes hostel units and restrooms, 5th floor is private residence; includes all site work

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:32 PM

NW 19th & Quimby, where the food carts and Quimby's pub is right now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:37 AM

Revised drawings [PDF - 9MB] for the NW Portland Hostel. Historic Landmarks Commission is reviewing it on the 27th.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:15 AM

wow! looking at the image on p 23 - that is the sad-ist, cheapest, most ill proportioned faux-historic infill yet. Come on portland . . . try.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:31 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt-pdx View Post
wow! looking at the image on p 23 - that is the sad-ist, cheapest, most ill proportioned faux-historic infill yet. Come on portland . . . try.
Ah, they're going with an insta-dingy motif here, with an overall color scheme that can't possibly look new in hopes of making the building look old before construction is even complete.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
NW 19th & Quimby, where the food carts and Quimby's pub is right now.

So I have a question to all. Are we noticing a trend now where food cart pods are been plucked out once the neighborhood they helped to revive, becomes a happening scene? The pods are part of what makes the food scene here what it is. For some pod owners, they have carts in multiple locations while others don't. Inversely, are we seeing signs that pods in some neighborhoods are struggling ? I'm curious. Both directions have their own domino effects.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:39 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenbyDesign View Post
So I have a question to all. Are we noticing a trend now where food cart pods are been plucked out once the neighborhood they helped to revive, becomes a happening scene? The pods are part of what makes the food scene here what it is. For some pod owners, they have carts in multiple locations while others don't. Inversely, are we seeing signs that pods in some neighborhoods are struggling ? I'm curious. Both directions have their own domino effects.
This is sad but a case of highest and best use. Food cart pods are low-rent situations, and as land becomes developable, these pods will get squeezed out. In the grander scheme, land is better used for housing than food cart pods but this brings up a great point in that the pod helped bring the energy. I think the solution is to allow food cart pods at city parks. There will also be a lot more food hall type set ups like Pine Street Market and the Zipper.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:24 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenbyDesign View Post
Are we noticing a trend now where _______ are been plucked out once the neighborhood they helped to revive, becomes a happening scene?
Fixed that for you. And the answer is, of course, yes... but in this case, the food carts aren't what made this particular spot so appealing for development. The Pearl is pushing west. Northwest is pushing north and east. All of the land in between is becoming more valuable for developers.

Look at the bigger picture. What we're seeing with food carts isn't that different from what we're seeing with anything else in our neighborhoods.

Land becomes more valuable. Food carts get pushed out.

Retail spaces become more valuable. Neighborhood businesses get priced out.

Apartments become more valuable. Neighborhood residents get priced out.

...but what's the alternative? Keep our neighborhoods crappy to deter development? I really wish I had an answer for the rapidly escalating cost of everything related to land, retail and housing in Portland, but I don't.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 10:28 PM

A friend of mine is looking for a house with easy and quick (ish) access to downtown and his budget is just over 300k. Montavilla is starting to move out of that price point! He's looking increasingly at Milwaukie because of the coming max line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland