HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 4:53 PM

^ How's the maintenance for these trees (both Mayday and Ornamental Cherry?). I was planning on putting a couple of these in my yard this year. Our yard is south facing and gets full sun all day.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanYEG View Post
^ How's the maintenance for these trees (both Mayday and Ornamental Cherry?). I was planning on putting a couple of these in my yard this year. Our yard is south facing and gets full sun all day.
Keeping them pruned is easy. The berries on the ground in the fall are a bit messy. The problem with the Mayday tree is keeping up with any Black Knot. I check the tree about 3 times a year and trip any branch that has it. If you are on it quickly it is easy to control.

The 2 trees are great to sit under on a hot day or when they are in bloom. Full of bees.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Where's yours, dleung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
So you’re not gonna show your place?
I will! I just upgraded to a bigger condo, so haven't got the chance to furnish it and make it mine. I did want to show it off so it gave me the thread idea.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 2:33 AM

Love Airboy's backyard btw

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 6:25 AM

A few of my house which I have just put for sale.

Never had beige siding lol. Stone is real, not cultured crap.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 2:48 PM

I love your kitchen and most of the other rooms, as well as the general layout of the house, but I think they (or you, as the case may be ) really cheaped out on the woodwork. Both the baseboards and door casings would be wider by at least 1", if I'd been in charge of picking them. I'm also not a fan at all of those tiny corner blocks with a round motif in their center - I don't think it's a design that suits modern houses.

How much are you selling it for? Hope you get your price

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 2:51 PM

P.S. That massive front garage is generally a big SSP no no

Good idea to sell and move out before your soul gets sucked!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 3:03 PM

Thanks lio, asking in the $470's. Not the original builder, did not feel necessary to change out casings when renovating the place. Baseboards were changed out though to a 4" I think with a different profile. Good thing kitchens do more to sell a house than the casings!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:13 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 4:14 AM

Lio, I missed the garage comment earlier! Chances are I will be in another place with a front attached garage and would like something larger lol. Last year I had to put my truck in storage during hail season due to a stupid angle wall between house and garage causing it to be too long. Own the house with my bro and his car goes in the garage, but since my truck is my secondary mode of transportation I drew the short straw on being in the garage. Pinion, that pile of snow is a good 3’ shorter than it was a month ago too and unfortunately is being added to tonight. Also note Pinion I live outside of calgary in Airdrie, properties quite a bit cheaper here.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 4:34 AM

pretty interesting to see that front attached garage are a thing in Western Canada. They pretty much don't exist in Quebec.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Lio, I missed the garage comment earlier! Chances are I will be in another place with a front attached garage and would like something larger lol. Last year I had to put my truck in storage during hail season due to a stupid angle wall between house and garage causing it to be too long. Own the house with my bro and his car goes in the garage, but since my truck is my secondary mode of transportation I drew the short straw on being in the garage.
I hope modern Titans aren't as rust-prone as older Nissan pickups were because if it's the case, you'd better leave it in a heated garage at all times

Lately I bought a 1940s triplex right outside downtown in Sherbrooke, the garage is big enough that I had to fill it - bought a 7.3 PowerStroke F250 4x4 that fits pretty nicely it in (with enough room in the front and back to go around it), it's parked in there right now and I'm slowly working on fixing it up. Nature abhors a vacuum... new garage = gotta fill that up with something new (to me).

On July 1st (National Moving Day in this province; almost nobody moves at any other date) my gf and I will likely relocate to the bottom unit of that triplex. We really like the apt we currently occupy, but we'll enjoy the "upgrade" to a backyard and garage.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Good thing kitchens do more to sell a house than the casings!
True, and I'm sure 99% of potential buyers won't notice or mind at all. It's just that I've got an insistence on architectural propriety when it comes to styles, including for interior design, so that would've irked me as a buyer for sure.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
pretty interesting to see that front attached garage are a thing in Western Canada. They pretty much don't exist in Quebec.
They are a thing in Ontario also and I have a couple theories as to why. One is just simply there seems to be less double garages in Quebec (Montreal anyways) which allows developers to stick a single car garage on the side of the house where a double wouldn't fit. The other theory is that Montreal has more US style sprawl than the rest of Canada which leads to larger lots able to accommodate a side garage.

Montreals sprawl in general is more like the US than you see elsewhere in Canada, more haphazard, exurban, less dense, no sidewalks, larger lots, less walkable, etc. To some that is all good as it leads to the space and privacy people seek in the suburbs but from a planning and land-use perspective it's a bit of a nightmare. The complete lack of sidewalks is what I find the most astounding.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 10:42 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Wow bike storage and you true your own wheels.

Don't have a garage but I still would not store my bikes there if I did. Mine are locked in the basement. I don't mind if they steal tools out of my shed. They would probably get more use out of them than me.

My back yard on a good spring evening.
[IMG]yard night by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
Your backyard looks lovely, can't believe you can grow a garden like that in Edmonton's climate!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 10:44 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Rollerstud98,
Who knew vinyl siding could look so good! Nice house.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
They are a thing in Ontario also and I have a couple theories as to why. One is just simply there seems to be less double garages in Quebec (Montreal anyways) which allows developers to stick a single car garage on the side of the house where a double wouldn't fit. The other theory is that Montreal has more US style sprawl than the rest of Canada which leads to larger lots able to accommodate a side garage.

Montreals sprawl in general is more like the US than you see elsewhere in Canada, more haphazard, exurban, less dense, no sidewalks, larger lots, less walkable, etc. To some that is all good as it leads to the space and privacy people seek in the suburbs but from a planning and land-use perspective it's a bit of a nightmare. The complete lack of sidewalks is what I find the most astounding.
you're right, sidewalks are not popular. But maybe it has to do with the amount of snow and freezing rain we receive every winter. (Montréal 220cm , FZ 50-60mm) - You do know that even in small-mid sized cities, they plow all the sidewalks.

Ottawa is another city where sidewalks are not very popular. Their neighbourhoods are built just like the ones in Montréal. I come from a city where a normal lot is about 9,000sf, no sidewalks unless you live near a school.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Apr 8, 2018 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

hipster duck was correct when he pointed out recently that this Anglo-Canada style of "tightly packed" suburban sprawl is a very bizarre way to negate the pros of sprawl while only leaving the cons.

To me, it feels like a weird compromise that makes little sense (it's still very low density and not walkable). I guess I'm just used to Quebec-style sprawl, which at least has the advantages of sprawl (large lots, large backyard, room for vehicles, you aren't so tightly sandwiched between neighbors so more privacy, etc.)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 7:38 PM

I think people should generally go for neat hardwood flooring. It's the most comfy, super cozy, and doesn't require so much maintenance.

I grew up in a roomy house with marble and stone floor in there, on every floor. My mom's somewhat better off, but I'm not, myself, eh. Lol, I spend all the money that comes to my waster hands.
Anyway, marble and stone are kinda garish and bad taste sometimes, and too cold when I think about it, now.

Wood flooring and modern wood design is the real cozy and stylish thing these days.
So the house for sale above is pretty good. Just avoid carpeting when you can afford anything better. Especially when you have pets. Cats in particular bring nasty mites and parasites to your carpets. It's yucky.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
hipster duck was correct when he pointed out recently that this Anglo-Canada style of "tightly packed" suburban sprawl is a very bizarre way to negate the pros of sprawl while only leaving the cons.

To me, it feels like a weird compromise that makes little sense (it's still very low density and not walkable). I guess I'm just used to Quebec-style sprawl, which at least has the advantages of sprawl (large lots, large backyard, room for vehicles, you aren't so tightly sandwiched between neighbors so more privacy, etc.)
Don't think it's fair to just scoff them off as "still low density and not walkable" and just leave it at that. Compared to Quebec style suburbs they are still superior in both regards and that obviously has its benefits. Even if someone wanted to walk around their own neighbourhood, I personally do this all the time, how do you do that with no sidewalks anywhere? In the winter I don't think you could even attempt it whereas people in my hood do it year round because there are sidewalks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada