HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:12 PM
New Yorker for life

http://observer.com/2012/11/not-verr...or-moma-tower/

Not Verre Yet: Hines Still Looking for Financing for MoMA Tower

The construction machinery that got everybody excited about the Torre Verre taking off.
(yankeesfan/SkyscraperCity)

By Matt Chaban
November 29, 2012

Quote:
For a time, it looked as though Jean Nouvel’s MoMA Tower would be the tallest apartment building in the city, when the 1,250-foot shard was proposed four years ago. Having been cut down to 1,050 feet by planning chief Amanda Burden, and with the revelation earlier this week that Gary Barnett is building a 1,550-foot tower on Broadway and 57th Street–to compliment his 1,005-foot One57 and surpass Harry Macklowe’s 1,397-foot 432 Park–it appears Torre Verre, the MoMA Tower’s official name, will simply be a very tall apartment building. Very, very tall.

That, and the project’s starchitect pedigree, have the design-obsessed online watching the project’s every move. Last week, a contributor to the site Skyscraper City noticed that what looked like pile-driving equipment had been assembled on the site next to the Museum of Modern Art. This was a sure sign of the project’s imminent commencement, or so the photographer surmised. Lo, it is not so, according to Hines, the condo tower’s developer.

“That is not construction,” Tommy Craig, the director of Hines’ New York office said through a spokeswoman. “We are progressing on financing.” That has been the key piece hampering this project for the past year, ever since new plans were filed with the city. But so, too, have other towers suffered from a lack of financing, such as B2 at Atlantic Yards. Now that that building, as well as those like 432 Park are rising, and people are paying insane rates for condo units across the city, surely some bank somewhere must be warming up to this project.

Until they do, nothing is happening on the site, and as George Lancaster, a Hines spokesman, cautioned, people should not read too much into what machinery may be siting on the lot at 53 West 53rd Street. “Not breaking ground YET,” Mr. Lancaster wrote in an email, adding, “Not sure what machinery is on site, but not related to building construction."

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/11/...n-speculation/

Hines still seeking financing for Tower Verre, despite construction speculation

November 29, 2012

Quote:
Despite rumors that the long-delayed Jean Nouvel-designed 1,050-foot MoMA Tower was nearing construction, the developer has confirmed that the project is still in its financing phase, the New York Observer reported.

What looked like construction equipment outside the MoMA had led to speculations that the project, officially known as Torre Verre, would finally be breaking ground. However, developer Hines told the Observer that they have yet to secure the financing necessary to begin building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:16 PM
Editor

I've been anxious to see this one get off the ground. It seems like it's getting close!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:23 PM

Is it reasonable to construe soil testing as some sort of encouraging news ?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:53 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^ It means that the engineers/architect are gathering information to finalize the design, which could conceivably be necessary to get a cost estimate for the financing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:57 PM

Gotcha.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 8:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Is it reasonable to construe soil testing as some sort of encouraging news ?
Something else to consider...

Quote:
But so, too, have other towers suffered from a lack of financing, such as B2 at Atlantic Yards. Now that that building, as well as those like 432 Park are rising, and people are paying insane rates for condo units across the city, surely some bank somewhere must be warming up to this project.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Something else to consider...
Yeah, better believe I caught that. Certainly stands to reason.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 1:24 AM
New Yorker for life

More renderings, taken from...

http://www.adamson-associates.com/projects/moma-tower

Quote:
Designed by Ateliers Jean Nouvel, this new iconic residential development is located adjacent to the existing Museum of Modern Art. The design features a faceted exterior that tapers to a set of three distinct asymmetrical crystalline peaks at the apex of the tower – each peak varying in height and shape.

The 750,000 sf building will rise 1,050 feet from the sidewalk. The typical residential floor-to-floor height will be twelve feet. Housing high-end residential condominiums, a luxury hotel, in addition to the MoMA expansion, the tower will create a dramatic addition to the Manhattan skyline.

___

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:39 AM

Its Official-work will not start soon:
...“That is not construction,” Tommy Craig, the director of Hines’s New York office said through a spokeswoman. “We are progressing on financing.” That has been the key piece hampering this project for the past year, ever since new plans were filed with the city. But so too have other towers suffered from a lack of financing, such as B2 at Atlantic Yards. Now that that building, as well as those like 432 Park are rising, and people are paying insane rates for condo units across the city, surely some bank somewhere must be warming up to this project.

Until they do, nothing is happening on the site, and as George Lancaster, a Hines spokesman, cautioned, people should not read too much into what machinery may be siting on the lot at 53 West 53rd Street. “Not breaking ground YET,” Mr. Lancaster wrote in an email.
NY Observer-http://observer.com/2012/11/not-verre-yet-hines-still-looking-for-financing-for-moma-tower/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:05 AM

The design seems to have changed a bit,I'm waiting to see the crown.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 8:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeit View Post
Its Official-work will not start soon:
That's what the post at the top of the page implied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
The design seems to have changed a bit,I'm waiting to see the crown.
Yeah, that's the newer 1,050 ft version.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 1:40 AM

Bad news... Bad news... =/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 2:35 AM

Well, at least we're getting something. No...more than just something. For starters, we're getting something of decidedly more-than-modest height that Mrs. What's-her-name could very well have bitched down to the ground and out of existence...and just because she could've chosen to exercise said authority at full-throttle given her druthers.
We're getting something whose placement in the MidTown cityscape will create absolutely astounding contrasts with many of Apple's most venerable highrises...G.E./RCA for one that I can cite.
*And* it's taller than One57, too. Speaking of which.....
We're getting something that's just as bold if not more so in design...IMO in a "fresh out of Gotham City a la the Dark Knight" sort of way.

Other than this looming fiscal cliff-diving spree that menacingly threatens every single sector of our economy, the only thing that remains unsure vis a vis this beauty rising is the status of her tenancy....and yes, I said "her"...nyeaaaah.
But seriously...It most likely will be easier to land a tenant for this place, as it's only one building. It seems to me that the ones on the indefinite waiting list are, in the majority, part of a larger complex, i.e. 200G, Hudson Yards North etc.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:12 AM

Yea I think the odds of this tower being built are pretty good considering all the demand for high end condos and all the towers being built in the area. Just a matter of time. Can't wait tho, this is perhaps my favorite building anywhere in the world.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 6:21 AM
New Yorker for life

This one is still up there for me. Im just unhappy that it lost some profile to all of these taller towers that will rise as well. This one is as worthy of the ESB airspace as any other.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 7:00 AM

i'm with u on this. I can't think of any other tower that deserves the title of King Of New York more than this one

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 8:01 AM

God damn that tower is menacing. In a good way. Hopefully you New Yorkers will see it rise soon.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 1:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh hellz yeah this tower is numero uno for me. at least on paper. we will see, but i have faith in this one. 56 leonard is second. to date of course. hudson yards for example, could reshuffle the deck.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 6:32 PM

A true masterpiece that will hopefully see itself in the skyline in the not-so-far future.If only I was a billionaire.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 8:07 PM

Why they changed the design? It was already perfect :/ But its Nouvel and i hope he knows what he do

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive