HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:30 PM

London just overtook New York in population (city proper). When do you think they will ever overtake New York on metro population (Southeast England vs CSA)?

In a 75 km radius, from Midtown and Charing Cross, live 18.7 million people and 16.3 million respectively.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

What is fueling this London population growth? City is adding so much. So expensive, yet adding so much?

I could ponder that its international migration fueling the growth or is it more domestic?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
London just overtook New York in population (city proper). When do you think they will ever overtake New York on metro population (Southeast England vs CSA)?

In a 75 km radius, from Midtown and Charing Cross, live 18.7 million people and 16.3 million respectively.
Isn't London "city proper" Greater London, which is more of a metropolitan area of sorts?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Never. And with Brexit, even less likely. The gap, long-term, will widen.

Also, the City of London didn't overtake NYC. Metro London overtook NYC, which is a different, apples to oranges political classification.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:05 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Isn't London "city proper" Greater London, which is more of a metropolitan area of sorts?
No, that basically includes the inner suburban ring, not the outer ring of towns and suburbs that are also full of commuters.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:22 AM

Christ.... the NYC folks with their panties in a wad over not being the greatest ever with London winning in some sort of metric.....

I still can't put my finger on how or why Houston is having such high population growth aside from immigration as Houston is barely above stagnant economically.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Never. And with Brexit, even less likely. The gap, long-term, will widen.

Also, the City of London didn't overtake NYC. Metro London overtook NYC, which is a different, apples to oranges political classification.
No, it's not.

The City of London is an archaic unit that refers to the square mile of the financial district and has less than 10,000 residents. No one talks about the City except as shorthand for financial services (much like 'Wall Street').

The City of London, the City of Westminster and 31 other boroughs make up the city (lower case 'c') of London as a municipal entity. Those London boroughs have less devolved political authority than NYC's five boroughs. There is one mayor for Greater London just as there is one mayor for the five boroughs of NYC. The metropolitan area of London is significantly bigger and extends into the neighboring Home Counties.

Now, what is true is that while London is now more populous than NYC, its metro area will never become larger. London covers about 600 square miles to NYC's roughly 350 square miles, so it is bound to have more people (even though much more of it is given over to parkland and open space). But it also represents a much larger share of the metro area than NYC proper, and NYC is denser.

One of the key differences is that NYC has a big physical barrier (the Hudson River) directly adjacent to its core business districts. If you added another ~250 square miles of New Jersey directly across the river from Manhattan (which would mean Hudson County and about 80% of Bergen County), then NYC would cover the same physical area as London but its population would be about 10 million people.

It is actually quite possible than London will add another 1.5 million or so residents eventually, to have the same population as NYC within 600 square miles. What it will never have is the continuous urban sprawl up 2/3 of the length of Long Island, into northern NJ, and up coastal Connecticut.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; May 16, 2017 at 8:10 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

What is fueling this London population growth? City is adding so much. So expensive, yet adding so much?

I could ponder that its international migration fueling the growth or is it more domestic?
It's mostly international migration yes.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:06 AM

NYC loses out on city proper population because larger parts of its urban area over in NJ are not counted, even places just a couple of miles from Broadway like Hoboken.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
NYC loses out on city proper population because larger parts of its urban area over in NJ are not counted, even places just a couple of miles from Broadway like Hoboken.
See above. There are 600k people in Hudson County and 900k people in Bergen County, which together are about 290 square miles.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post

I still can't put my finger on how or why Houston is having such high population growth aside from immigration as Houston is barely above stagnant economically.
We have the same situation in Canada with Calgary. the population is expanding even though the economy is contracting. clearly there is a time lag.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm still waiting for a recent daytime population study for various cities. Would be interesting to see stats for London and NY.

Stats measuring peak population, commuters in/out, weekday vs weekend pop stats.

I recall a 2012 NYU Wagner study said that on any given weekday, there are 4 million folks in Manhattan. Will be higher in 2017.

Still, 4 million over 22-23 sq miles is a density of 174k/sq-mile.

I'd say over 300 land sq miles, the daytime population has to be 10 million on any given weekday. Just a general approximation for 2017. I don't think the Census results truly factor in illegals. Last I've heard, estimates put it at 500k for illegals.

If we factor in tourism numbers, 60 million/year and rising, we come out to a conservative 200k per day. Summer will be higher, but just as a stats exercise.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:29 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

One of the key differences is that NYC has a big physical barrier (the Hudson River) directly adjacent to its core business districts.
the river has nothing to do with anything about that. nyc will never be able to grow physically in area as london has from the 1960s-2000 (and could do again anytime in the future). in fact, if anything, its the opposite in nyc as it is more likely to lose staten island to nj someday.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
the river has nothing to do with anything about that. nyc will never be able to grow physically in area as london has from the 1960s-2000 (and could do again anytime in the future). in fact, if anything, its the opposite in nyc as it is more likely to lose staten island to nj someday.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the point that I was making.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm still waiting for a recent daytime population study for various cities. Would be interesting to see stats for London and NY.

Stats measuring peak population, commuters in/out, weekday vs weekend pop stats.

I recall a 2012 NYU Wagner study said that on any given weekday, there are 4 million folks in Manhattan. Will be higher in 2017.

Still, 4 million over 22-23 sq miles is a density of 174k/sq-mile.

I'd say over 300 land sq miles, the daytime population has to be 10 million on any given weekday. Just a general approximation for 2017. I don't think the Census results truly factor in illegals. Last I've heard, estimates put it at 500k for illegals.

If we factor in tourism numbers, 60 million/year and rising, we come out to a conservative 200k per day. Summer will be higher, but just as a stats exercise.
The latest stats from the London mayor's office were from 2014, and they say "over 10 million". Most of the incremental is of course in central London. So that sounds about right for NY too.

https://data.london.gov.uk/apps_and_...f-london-2014/

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with the point that I was making.
yes it does. the fact that nj is another state has everything to do with what you were trying to say and nothing to do with water, just as your description of what makes up london has everything to do with the historically recent boundary changes there.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yes it does. the fact that nj is another state has everything to do with what you were trying to say and nothing to do with water, just as your description of what makes up london has everything to do with the historically recent boundary changes there.
The river is the reason that NJ is another state, and the reason why it will continue to be another state. The river is the reason why NYC only expanded in 3 directions from its core, instead of in all directions like London (or Paris, or numerous other cities), because it forms a physical boundary to one side.

For comparison, the Thames is a narrow river (even narrower than the East River) which didn't form the same sort of barrier to amalgamation with the other bank: https://instagram.com/p/BPf036SB83W/

Last edited by 10023; May 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
No, it's not.

The City of London is an archaic unit that refers to the square mile of the financial district and has less than 10,000 residents. No one talks about the City except as shorthand for financial services (much like 'Wall Street').

The City of London, the City of Westminster and 31 other boroughs make up the city (lower case 'c') of London as a municipal entity. Those London boroughs have less devolved political authority than NYC's five boroughs. There is one mayor for Greater London just as there is one mayor for the five boroughs of NYC. The metropolitan area of London is significantly bigger and extends into the neighboring Home Counties.

Now, what is true is that while London is now more populous than NYC, its metro area will never become larger. London covers about 600 square miles to NYC's roughly 350 square miles, so it is bound to have more people (even though much more of it is given over to parkland and open space). But it also represents a much larger share of the metro area than NYC proper, and NYC is denser.

One of the key differences is that NYC has a big physical barrier (the Hudson River) directly adjacent to its core business districts. If you added another ~250 square miles of New Jersey directly across the river from Manhattan (which would mean Hudson County and about 80% of Bergen County), then NYC would cover the same physical area as London but its population would be about 10 million people.

It is actually quite possible than London will add another 1.5 million or so residents eventually, to have the same population as NYC within 600 square miles. What it will never have is the continuous urban sprawl up 2/3 of the length of Long Island, into northern NJ, and up coastal Connecticut.
So is London as we all know it, technically called "Greater London"?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
No, it's not.

I never referred to the City of London, which is also not an apples-to-apples comparison.

There is no apples-to-apples comparison with NYC. The City of London would be a silly comparison, and Greater London would be a silly comparison. One is essentially a neighborhood, and the other is a metropolitan governing structure.

I agree that Greater London is a less silly comparison, but still not reasonable. Half of Greater London is suburban or semi-rural, and it is legally a region, not a city. 9% of Greater London is farmland.

IMO the most reasonable comparison is metro-to-metro, so at least you can form some rough analogy. Most people peg London's MSA/CSA in the 12-16 million range or thereabouts, so it's extremely unlikely, even discounting Brexit, to assume a doubling of population in our lifetimes, while other metro areas around the world stagnate.

But, given that Brexit is a reality, it would be extremely foolish to assume London's incredible recent growth would continue. As everyone knows, its bedrock industry will disperse somewhat and its immigrant flows will be restricted and the UK is untethered from Europe. London basically grows because of financial services and immigration. Its growth rates going forward will probably be slow and steady, like on the Continent, as its advantages have been eliminated.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:05 PM
Never Dell

Agreed Crawford.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions