HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
... everyone says that about their own city though. Really I think the only canadian city that stands a chance is Toronto, and it's a slim one.

Let's not kid ourselves. Imagine the political clusterf*ck if an American company moves it's second headquarters to Canada. Amazon is private but like others said, some politicians just won't let that happen.
Like I said, it depends on what Amazon is looking for. If they need a lot of office space Calgary can deliver that a lot better than just about any city and do it cheaply at the moment. Some of you are way too focused on Toronto as if it's the only city in the country. Based on the thinking of a lot of people in this group you never would have pictured Seattle being the headquarters for Amazon, Microsoft, etc.

As for politicians not letting it happen, we're talking about America not Canada. Bezos is going to do what is best for the company not for Trump. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if their second headquarters is located outside of America but it likely won't be Canada.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:57 AM

The only city in Canada that has a shot is Toronto. I would put Calgary, Ottawa, and Montreal ahead of Vancouver's chances. Why on earth would a company set up a massive secondary office only 200km from it's main office and it's advantages of having a port and Asian gateway are also irrelevant as Seattle has the same and in Vancouver due to the high cost of living employers can't even find people to fill current open positions.

It has to be a place that has great continental, local, and international connections which writes off Ottawa and getting a massive amount of high tech bilingual staff for a Montreal base would be very hard. It does have the advantage of having a large creative class, low cost of living and very cheap Hydro but I don't think that's enough to outway the language issues. It has a great urban scene and Metro but Trudeaau Internatonal is not a very well connected airport

Chicago has excellent transportation connections and a high skilled workforce but the state's finances are in horriid shape and both Iiiinois and Chicago are dropping in population much of that due to very high taxes in general and extremely high crime rates in Chicago in particular.

If urban transit plays a part then Austin is a right off but both Dallas and Atlanta have some RT which helps but neither have a good transit system. Both have high crime raates but nothing even close to Chicago. Atlanta has the benefit of being in an Eastern timezone and the world's busiest and most connected airport but still has a huge image problem where it might find it difficult to get skilled labour.

To me it will come down to just 2 cities............Toronto and Boston. Both are safe cities, Eastern time zone, have excellent universities, a very educated workforce, and large established high tech industry, large airports, good transit systems, have large creative classes,and offer a high quality of life that few other cities can match.

The advantage for Boston is that it is in the US so the border is no problem nor is an anti-free trade President. Conversely Toronto offers the huge wage subsidy of our dollar and due to Canada's much more liberal and welcoming immigrant attitudes getting international workers to relocate is much easier knowing the workers will bemore welcomed both economically but also politically and socially.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Aww poor snowflake

Edmonton hasn't the faintest chance at this.

Peddle your righteous indignation elsewhere

Hey man....this just in.

Allied Van Lines is having a moving sale.

You should inquire. You're miserable.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:20 AM

I love how many pages this is in already. It really only seems like 3 Canadian cities are in the running. Vancouver Halifax and Toronto. Halifax bid is terrible so far offering a disjointed area where Amazon could be set up. Vancouver is a great location but why set up shop right next door. Toronto is the most obvious expansion city but are they even looking for a city on the continent?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:36 AM

Halifax?!? Did they even read Amazon's RFP? The very first thing they specify is that they require a metro of at least a million people.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The only city in Canada that has a shot is Toronto. I would put Calgary, Ottawa, and Montreal ahead of Vancouver's chances. Why on earth would a company set up a massive secondary office only 200km from it's main office and it's advantages of having a port and Asian gateway are also irrelevant as Seattle has the same and in Vancouver due to the high cost of living employers can't even find people to fill current open positions.

It has to be a place that has great continental, local, and international connections which writes off Ottawa and getting a massive amount of high tech bilingual staff for a Montreal base would be very hard. It does have the advantage of having a large creative class, low cost of living and very cheap Hydro but I don't think that's enough to outway the language issues. It has a great urban scene and Metro but Trudeaau Internatonal is not a very well connected airport

Chicago has excellent transportation connections and a high skilled workforce but the state's finances are in horriid shape and both Iiiinois and Chicago are dropping in population much of that due to very high taxes in general and extremely high crime rates in Chicago in particular.

If urban transit plays a part then Austin is a right off but both Dallas and Atlanta have some RT which helps but neither have a good transit system. Both have high crime raates but nothing even close to Chicago. Atlanta has the benefit of being in an Eastern timezone and the world's busiest and most connected airport but still has a huge image problem where it might find it difficult to get skilled labour.

To me it will come down to just 2 cities............Toronto and Boston. Both are safe cities, Eastern time zone, have excellent universities, a very educated workforce, and large established high tech industry, large airports, good transit systems, have large creative classes,and offer a high quality of life that few other cities can match.

The advantage for Boston is that it is in the US so the border is no problem nor is an anti-free trade President. Conversely Toronto offers the huge wage subsidy of our dollar and due to Canada's much more liberal and welcoming immigrant attitudes getting international workers to relocate is much easier knowing the workers will bemore welcomed both economically but also politically and socially.
Has Amazon said why they want to do this? And why is everyone discounting Europe? A second headquarters in North America makes little sense when you think about it.

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 8, 2017 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:55 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

You bring up a very good point. This will be a second Global HQ for Amazon. I wonder if the timing and immigration restrictions have everything to do with this. Why didn't they consider other locations in Europe or Asia? Suddenly Canada sounds like a real possibility...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:56 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Has Amazon said why they want to do this? And why is everyone discounting Europe? A second headquarters in North America makes little sense when you think about it.
Everyone's discounting Europe because Amazon specificaly stated only locations in North America are being considered.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Everyone's discounting Europe because Amazon specificaly stated only locations in North America are being considered.
I just saw that. Now where is the delete button on this forum?!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I love how many pages this is in already. It really only seems like 3 Canadian cities are in the running. Vancouver Halifax and Toronto. Halifax bid is terrible so far offering a disjointed area where Amazon could be set up. Vancouver is a great location but why set up shop right next door. Toronto is the most obvious expansion city but are they even looking for a city on the continent?
Halifax is absurd and Vancouver almost equally so.

Halifax is isolated and too small. As for Vancouver, why would Amazon look for a second location only 200km away? What would be the point? Vancouver's extreme cost of living would also make getting workers to move there and near impossibility. Vancouver is critically short of profs, teachers, to say nothing of high tech workers primarily because they can't get anyone to move there.

Toronto is the clear Canadian front runner but I wouldn't cross off Montreal. It has a superb quality of life, a great urbanity which younger high tech workers want, cheap Hydro rates, great public transit, excellent universities, and a very large creative class. Montreal has 2 big problems though..........language barrier of being able to find their workforce and Trudeau International which is a relatively small airport with surprisingly few international and continental connection considering the size of Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 10:23 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Boston is probably a front-runner if it's in North America, but I hope one of the mainland Canadian cities gets it. Good luck!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:35 AM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:47 PM
More transit please

^Montreal and Toronto not even ranked for universities, while Phoenix and Houston are? Joke joke joke

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:57 PM
Give us a kiss

Look at the sources: US dept of education, etc. Chances are Canadian cities simply do not have data on those metrics. Clearly a poor choice of dataset, but can we really say we're surprised a US outlet would simply overlook Canada?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:57 PM

Detroit for the win! I'd be happy with Toronto getting it as well though!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
^Montreal and Toronto not even ranked for universities, while Phoenix and Houston are? Joke joke joke
Houston by aggregate has more impressive Universities. Also, Rice University is one of the better private schools in the USA.

Overall, I think the list is both helpful and silly. It is helpful as it gets you thinking about certain strong and weak points. It is a silly list though as it's apples to oranges with data. Are airports crap in general with wait times? Flight access? Or, the fact that Canadian stats obviously were not really used.

Houston and Atlanta both look very attractive and have the bones to support the project, I just don't think Texas and Georgia would roll out big time subsidies for Amazon though.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Do we even know what the objective of building this new co-headquarters is?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do we even know what the objective of building this new co-headquarters is?
The unanswered question. I wonder if Bezos' purchase of a mansion in Washington D.C. late last year will turn out to be relevant?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
That's basically calling francophones an "issue."
We are for him!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:37 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Houston by aggregate has more impressive Universities. Also, Rice University is one of the better private schools in the USA.

Overall, I think the list is both helpful and silly. It is helpful as it gets you thinking about certain strong and weak points. It is a silly list though as it's apples to oranges with data. Are airports crap in general with wait times? Flight access? Or, the fact that Canadian stats obviously were not really used.

Houston and Atlanta both look very attractive and have the bones to support the project, I just don't think Texas and Georgia would roll out big time subsidies for Amazon though.
I mean, it does show Riverside, Jacksonville, Grand Rapids and Richmond to have better job growth than Montreal and Toronto, which I find hard to believe. They probably didn't fetch much data on that part either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada