HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 10:20 PM

Starting next June, Delta announced a daily non-stop from SMF-Detroit.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:58 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
Are there that many people from Sacramento headed to Detroit?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Are there that many people from Sacramento headed to Detroit?
It is one of their hubs, I believe (from the old Northwest days). Detroit has a lot of conventions and there are a lot of tourist destinations in the area. It also provides greater access to the Rust Belt region that Sacramento currently doesn't have at all (Michigan, Ohio, Western PA). The closest airports I could find in the greater region are ORD, MDW, and IAD.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
I remember several years ago when Delta offered this nonstop to Detroit; it's good to see they are reinstating it!! I certainly hope they will be successful!!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb90 View Post
Looks like Frontier is going to be back this summer offering flights to Las Vegas and Denver.
Was so happy to hear Frontier Airlines was back at SMF!! I flew them a few years ago to Philadelphia, and had a good experience. I certainly hope they will be successful and maybe continue to add new flights and routes out of SMF

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Now this one really isn't a bad idea guys because for one I remember when I first moved here in March 2015 one of my first neighbors was an activist and knew some Sacramento Council members. He told me that the city/county and state had been courting both Ford and GM with the intention that they build an electric car/light truck plant on a site near Sacramento Airport (in western Rio Linda near highway 99 and the Union Pacific mainline to the north). I've heard this plan is still on btw..

As for Frontier its good to see em back-I use to fly them a lot when I lived in metro Denver.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 3:39 AM

According to SMF’s Wikipedia page it says China Southern Airlines will start service on June 1, 2019 to Guangzhou, China.

I don’t know how much truth there is or if it was leak by someone with knowledge, but I couldn’t find anything on the web about the service. I hope it happens.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
According to SMF’s Wikipedia page it says China Southern Airlines will start service on June 1, 2019 to Guangzhou, China.

I don’t know how much truth there is or if it was leak by someone with knowledge, but I couldn’t find anything on the web about the service. I hope it happens.
You saw that too, eh? My jaw about dropped when I saw it last night. I couldn't find anything on it, either. I certainly hope it happens as well.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:12 PM

^ It sounds true to me as well (I have an office job at SMF and yes I tend to keep ears open to stuff going on there) besides they have done a lot of infrastructure at SMF over the past 3yrs. I would imagine that they would use Boeing 777s and maybe even the newer 787 Dreamliner.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 2:14 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
^ It sounds true to me as well (I have an office job at SMF and yes I tend to keep ears open to stuff going on there) besides they have done a lot of infrastructure at SMF over the past 3yrs. I would imagine that they would use Boeing 777s and maybe even the newer 787 Dreamliner.

Wouldn’t a 777 be a difficult takeoff in Summer heat with our runways only being 8500 feet? I’m wondering if the Dreamliner would be an easier lift being that it’s made with lighter materials?

(I’m asking because I really don’t know).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
CastleScott can you give away anything that will let us know how SMF is doing w/o getting in trouble? It is great that SMF is trying to get international flights especially since it is close to the capital and gov, but it seems like no airliners or airports are that interested in us.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 5:45 AM

^ Gosh I wonder myself why SMF doesn't get into international flights more-like you said this being the capitol and such (especially with all these newcomers around here from places like India, Asia, Russia and Europe)-why not! One of my co-worker buddies told me that he always wondered the reason nothing more is done is because the airport sits in a flood plain and that it had been rumored that the air cargo operation and possible international flights would go out of Mather Field plus the feds seemed content to send more $$$ to SFO and LAX. I agree with you guys SMF has a nice layout-its close to downtown and really centeraly close to a lot of places. Heck why not stretch that 8500 foot runway to 10000 or even 12000. My co-worker buddy jokes sometimes that we saw a UPS 747 in the air cargo area (FedEx and UPS still use those DC-10s a lot).

Oh btw just a side note: SMF does have a rather large wild turkey flock-it seems that they live in the clumps of trees near the rental car agencies. Our building which is part of Terminal A gets a bunch of baby bunnies in the spring.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 6:06 AM

Quote:
^ Gosh I wonder myself why SMF doesn't get into international flights more-like you said this being the capitol and such (especially with all these newcomers around here from places like India, Asia, Russia and Europe)-why not! One of my co-worker buddies told me that he always wondered the reason nothing more is done is because the airport sits in a flood plain and that it had been rumored that the air cargo operation and possible international flights would go out of Mather Field plus the feds seemed content to send more $$$ to SFO and LAX. I agree with you guys SMF has a nice layout-its close to downtown and really centeraly close to a lot of places. Heck why not stretch that 8500 foot runway to 10000 or even 12000. My co-worker buddy jokes sometimes that we saw a UPS 747 in the air cargo area (FedEx and UPS still use those DC-10s a lot).

Oh btw just a side note: SMF does have a rather large wild turkey flock-it seems that they live in the clumps of trees near the rental car agencies. Our building which is part of Terminal A gets a bunch of baby bunnies in the spring.
Guess you gotta just convince the bosses at SMF to extend that runway and push for that Green Line project, that would easily boost passenger enplanements and deplanements. I even emailed Mark and Laurie a few times but they shut down my idea of expanding the runway because they said it doesn't translate to new flights/costs a lot of money. I hate how they won't expand the runway because it's been on their bucket list for a decade and nothing has been done.

How about desination wise? Any destinations the board is trying to get?

I hope that they are trying to get flights to Raleigh, Nashville, and Tucson; those are rising tech cities + Gov cities yet the airport can't get those big destinations. Heck, even our rivals down in San Jose got these flights!!!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 11:14 PM

New places coming to both terminals
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...o-airport.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Guess you gotta just convince the bosses at SMF to extend that runway and push for that Green Line project, that would easily boost passenger enplanements and deplanements. I even emailed Mark and Laurie a few times but they shut down my idea of expanding the runway because they said it doesn't translate to new flights/costs a lot of money. I hate how they won't expand the runway because it's been on their bucket list for a decade and nothing has been done.
True buddy-as for the Green Line I'm a big supporter of it however they need to run it on the east side of I-5 and NOT along Truxel Rd-the Truxel route would be painfully slow with way too many stops. Imagine a business person trying to get downtown to their hotel-they want a quick efficient way there. The route from downtown over the American River and along the east side of I-5 could have one or two stops before the airport and trains could go 55-60 mph. Where I originally come from metro Denver-they have electric commuter rail from downtown to the airport and those trains run at 79 in many spots and yes it's a long ways to the airport from downtown-25 miles in fact.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:54 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

The problem for flights to London or Frankfurt probably have little to do with lack of passenger demand from Sacramento or lighter composite jets that can land and take off at SMF. I bet the problem is lack of demand for First Class and Business Class seats out of SMF. Coach seats really don’t make money for the airlines. It boils down to cargo, Business and First Class revenue and I don’t see that changing in Sacramento for awhile. Maybe with more Bay Area transplants with more disposable income but there’s not enough Business travel (IMO).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 6:49 AM

Sun Country in Sacramento

A new addition coming to SMF: Sun Country Airlines will be offering nonstop flights between Sacramento and Minneapolis starting May 23rd. There will be four flights a week, with the fares starting out at $119 one way. I hope they will do well here in Sacramento; definitely was not expecting Sun Country to come to town. In any case, welcome Sun Country to SMF!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick'sSkyline View Post
A new addition coming to SMF: Sun Country Airlines will be offering nonstop flights between Sacramento and Minneapolis starting May 23rd. There will be four flights a week, with the fares starting out at $119 one way. I hope they will do well here in Sacramento; definitely was not expecting Sun Country to come to town. In any case, welcome Sun Country to SMF!
This is HUGE! When I lived in Milwaukee, you would have to drive down to Chicago and deal with traffic and parking to get non-stop fares that low! Now, it'll be just an easy flight from MSP to SMF (both pretty easy airports).

When we flew to Northern California last September (staying in Sacramento), it was cheaper to fly in to SFO by at least a few hundred dollars (for two people). But, the inconvenience of flying in to SFO, renting a car there, and driving to Sacramento is annoying. This will be SO MUCH easier (and cheaper)!!!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:09 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
When we flew to Northern California the inconvenience of flying in to SFO, renting a car there, and driving to Sacramento is annoying. This will be SO MUCH easier (and cheaper)!!!
Yeah I have always put out the extra $$$ to avoid Bay Area airports but you raise a great point that if you’re traveling as a couple or even a family sometimes the trip is just cheaper flying into the Bay Area. Hopefully as the bond debt is paid off for The Central Terminal and Concourse B, SMF will emerge as a low cost carrier airport and a cheaper alternative to the Bay Area airports.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:55 PM

Another airline coming to town

Yet another airline is coming to town! Starting in April, Contour Airlines will be starting new nonstop service between Sacramento and Santa Barbara. They will be using 30-seat Embraer regional jets. I hope this airline and the service will be successful! Welcome to town, Contour Airlines!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area