Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Digging dirt and laying foundation is just as important as burying caissons, its all necessary to the project and this is understood. What I don't understand is why the caissons in particular indicate U/C, instead of some other qualifier.
The qualifier is anything built that is structural makes it U/C. Digging a "hole" doesn't qualify. That is how it has been explained to me..

Caissons, foundations, are definitely structural so anytime those are shown via photo, it should be moved to U/C.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 9:56 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
The qualifier is anything built that is structural makes it U/C. Digging a "hole" doesn't qualify. That is how it has been explained to me..

Caissons, foundations, are definitely structural so anytime those are shown via photo, it should be moved to U/C.
Not that I'm pushing to move this thread to UC (though I'm 100% confident this thing is UC and we'll have a firm PR announcement this summer), but did you see my post on the previous page? I'm pretty sure those are pictures of a hole being dug, caissons being dropped in, cement being poured, etc etc.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Not that I'm pushing to move this thread to UC (though I'm 100% confident this thing is UC and we'll have a firm PR announcement this summer), but did you see my post on the previous page? I'm pretty sure those are pictures of a hole being dug, caissons being dropped in, cement being poured, etc etc.
Yes, those are definitely rebar cages being lowered in. Thanks for organizing the stills!

Amazing how deep these caissons go!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:07 PM
She needs her space

I've been told the deepest will go 280 ft, which is deeper than the "record setting" cages catty corner at 181 Fremont (and 181's received press!).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:16 AM

transbay tower is under construction , i attended a site tour of TT and the PM of the project said it was u/c there was alot of activity on site aswell as 181

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:34 AM
She needs her space

^^^I think the hesitation with this one is that the development partnership has repeatedly and publicly said that they will construct the foundation, which they are clearly doing and which technically by SSP standards means this one is UC, but has stated that they will re-evaluate whether they will actually go vertical and build the tower, or delay/sell to someone else.

However, I personally am confident that they will build the tower, not just based on the rumors that have been reported even by SFBT that they are in leases with Salesforce for 600,000 SF with options to take more, but based on what I have heard in the rumor mill off record.

With other supertalls or towers in the US, we haven't frequently or really ever heard the developer publicly say they will spend $193M on the land and tens of millions more on the foundation, but then make an executive decision later on whether or not to actually move forward with the tower. The developers of supertalls in NYC and LA haven't bifurcated the foundation from the tower. So once the foundation work was underway, it was safe to call them UC. We have since learned that this is not the case necessarily in NYC, but the NYC office market as a whole is not as strong as it is in SF, nor is it as underserved.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:30 AM
She needs her space

Another good shot of a caisson rebar cage being lifted up by the on-site crawler before being placed into a drilled caisson hole. I'm sure in the next day or two we'll see a ton of dump trucks for another pour.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:21 PM

Got a pic that I'm almost guaranteed will move this baby to u/c. As well as some other great pics of SF projects. Will post tonight. Stay tuned

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 5:10 PM
She needs her space

^^^Awesome! Based on PR alone I'm not sure this will move to UC, but sure enough the cement trucks came last night for another pour

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 5:16 PM

Post it! Post it!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 2:01 AM

Somebody with more technical knowledge about what's going on can put in a move to U/C request. Looks pretty serious to me.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 3:07 AM

^transbay and 181 Fremont are doing the exact same thing. They are pouring caissons prior to excavation. It's just a long way down to bedrock in downtown. Much different at rincon hill where bedrock is almost at the surface.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 10:29 AM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 3:57 PM

Looking good SF, the city by the Bay en fuego.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:48 PM

oh come on I know you guys are excited for this (as am I) but when does piling work count as construction? I thought it had always been actual concrete pours once excavation is complete? Unless the rules have recently (and correctly) changed so that excavation is considered construction..

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 7:24 PM

Congratz guys! A nice sleek tower!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 7:50 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
oh come on I know you guys are excited for this (as am I) but when does piling work count as construction? I thought it had always been actual concrete pours once excavation is complete? Unless the rules have recently (and correctly) changed so that excavation is considered construction..
The work currently taking place has to do with the structure's foundation. There was a lengthy research and discussion relative to this type of construction. Please refer to the 181 Fremont thread.

-sb

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
this has been put under construction at the same time Trump Tower Chicago was, upon pouring of the caissons. This is not unprecedented!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 9:36 PM

Wow! I mean WOW! While I still long for the SOM design, I'm blown away by this, 181 Fremont, the three others going up further south on Fremont, 45 Lansing, the Transbay Terminal, and all the other development around it. SF is expanding vertically in a way I have never seen before. Very exciting to watch all of these going up.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 1:26 AM
Ex Houstonian

Holy hell, where'd this come from? Awesome!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture