HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
wt
Don't worry Bombardier, I know you called the Cube. Cheers!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I wonder where 800 units ranks in terms of apartment buildings in Chicago. I know Presidential Towers has over 2000 units, but that's split over 4 towers...
Downtown it'll be second. Citywide I believe it'll be third. 655 W Irving Park has 901 units. One Superior Place has 809 units.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:48 PM

It's surprising to me that the highest units have southern views instead of skyline/park views. They decided to favor sunlight over views?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Downtown it'll be second. Citywide I believe it'll be third. 655 W Irving Park has 901 units. One Superior Place has 809 units.
Immediately thought of Superior as I almost lived there. Grand Plaza has 764 (including the 283 condos that are mostly rented anyways), Wolf Point East is 700, both Optima's combined are 815, similarly both Old Town Parks are 833 together.

South Loop has added NEMA, Essex, The Paragon, The Cooper, Eleven40, an Alta, and a several smaller complexes in such a short time. Are there enough young pros willing to pay $2.5K/mo for a 1BR in SL, guess we will see?

Still excited to see how NEMA looks in the end. Thus far it really compliments the Sears Tower and adds some much needed weight / balance to that corner of Sloop.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
i thought Outer Drive East (400 E Randolph) was the largest single residential building in the city with 955 units.

or are we restricting the conversation to strictly rental properties?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i thought Outer Drive East (400 E Randolph) was the largest single residential building in the city with 955 units.

Interesting that so many of the highest unit-count buildings in the city are such minor presences in the skyline and don't "feel" that big (400 E Randolph, 1 Superior). I lived in 655 W Irving Park for a summer, and while it's a big building and significantly bigger than anything else around, it never crossed my mind that it might be one of the biggest apartment buildings in the city. I'm glad NEMA will add some more skyline presence and architectural flair to the top end of that list.

Side note, when 400 E Randolph was built in 1963, it was the world's largest apartment building. Now it gets lost in the shuffle of Lakeshore East. How times change.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Ah yes, looks like 400 E is the largest. Never realized it was that dense.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Don't worry Bombardier, I know you called the Cube. Cheers!

The crane gave it away... no one would spend the money to extend the crane that high without a good reason!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post

The crane gave it away... no one would spend the money to extend the crane that high without a good reason!
I have never been happier to be wrong than I was about the faux height fiasco/drama

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:59 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

PT has 2,346 units in total.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:16 PM

is the cube going to be re-enforced concrete??? what are those pillars they are working on in latest pics? that would be so cool

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:32 PM

Soooo, what would probably be the most sought after views of the park/city at the top, they have made the core? I’m sure it all makes sense for the elevators, but seems like valuable real estate to put up fake windows on concrete.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
is the cube going to be re-enforced concrete??? what are those pillars they are working on in latest pics? that would be so cool
If you go by the rendering, the pillars are for the 5 remaining 'floors' left, not a cube

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:23 PM

Why wouldnt they continue the floor formwork if they were adding floors and not just columns? Not trying to be argumentative just generally curious.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Why wouldnt they continue the floor formwork if they were adding floors and not just columns? Not trying to be argumentative just generally curious.
The rebar sticking up for the columns follows pretty typical cadence, its just you can see it with screening from the north side removed. Floor formwork usually comes after the columns are poured. Also, since the core is done, that formwork is no longer needed.

That also assumes there is even floor slabs at this point though. Since the elevator doesn't go to these last 'floors' they could effectively just be an elaborate screen for mechanicals or a damper or both.

Last edited by jc5680; Jan 19, 2019 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Soooo, what would probably be the most sought after views of the park/city at the top, they have made the core? I’m sure it all makes sense for the elevators, but seems like valuable real estate to put up fake windows on concrete.
correct me if im wrong, but there are certain mechanical elements of a residential skyscraper that have to be installed above everything else, and all skyscrapers have them. as much as the developers would love to sell all that space it isn't possible

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:04 PM

^true enough, but 5+ floors of mechanical? I can’t say for sure since it’s not my industry, but it seems like a lot of space. Also, I believe real windows are on the East, South, and West walls.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
^true enough, but 5+ floors of mechanical? I can’t say for sure since it’s not my industry, but it seems like a lot of space. Also, I believe real windows are on the East, South, and West walls.
A tuned mass damper could justify that space. The one in Taipei 101 occupies that much space.

Not sure if we ever heard about the finalized design, but bvic posted way back about a sloshing damper that needed at least 2 floors.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 1:17 PM

Jan 16

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 1:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
A tuned mass damper could justify that space. The one in Taipei 101 occupies that much space.

Not sure if we ever heard about the finalized design, but bvic posted way back about a sloshing damper that needed at least 2 floors.
last I heard, it doesn't have a tmd, but it does have a 2-story slosh tank at the top.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive