HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:22 PM

March 29th can’t come soon enough!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:47 AM

There is absolutely no way any new office space will be built in downtown anytime soon. There are still several floors of tower 3 that are empty. The provincial government leased several floors, but there is no chance any of that will be occupied soon.

I'll tell you a little story. Even though those floors are officially leased by the ministry of Central Services, they are empty because each government department has to actually pay Central Services back for the space they lease. Sask Justice, which is located primarily in Tower 1 has been looking for new space for quite some time. However, they refuse to lease in Tower 3 because there is not enough money in their budget to afford AAA office space. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I want to buy new downtown. There are literally zero units available

The only things available are dumpy old units for under $250k or luxury modern units for over $500k
So buy a dumpy old unit for $250,000 and renovate it. Problem solved.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
There is absolutely no way any new office space will be built in downtown anytime soon. There are still several floors of tower 3 that are empty. The provincial government leased several floors, but there is no chance any of that will be occupied soon.

I'll tell you a little story. Even though those floors are officially leased by the ministry of Central Services, they are empty because each government department has to actually pay Central Services back for the space they lease. Sask Justice, which is located primarily in Tower 1 has been looking for new space for quite some time. However, they refuse to lease in Tower 3 because there is not enough money in their budget to afford AAA office space. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Ag Canada (AAFC) moved to several floors in Tower 3 right after FCC consolidated all of their offices in Ag Place towers... AAFC then laid off a significant portion of their workforce in Regina, so there were a few floors in Tower 3 rented by Public Works that were sitting empty for a long time (not sure if they've been rented out yet - feds tend to sign reasonably long leases). And with more federal tenants moving to Alvin Hamilton over the next year, that'll open up more office space downtown.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:

Get your facts straight before you speak. All of Central Services floors are leased and occupied (including by Justice), the exception being 1/3 of one floor, only recently vacated due to a centralization unrelated to Tower 3 specifically.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:33 PM

Retail thread has been 100% condo and office discussion this week.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Retail thread has been 100% condo and office discussion this week.
Alright - I'll switch to retail... H&M removed their exterior signs sometime over the past couple of days.

I'll start the rumour that this indicates they're planning to move into the Sears space

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:26 PM

Removed them? What? Lol

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:04 PM

As loony bin as this sounds huge government tax breaks are being handed out to build more office space in downtown Winnipeg when there was already a surplus of space in existing buildings so don't say it will never happen.

--

On the retail front, I saw some wishing/speculation Simons might come to Regina. About a week ago I would have said that was an extremely long shot as there was public stories on Simons essentially being tapped out on expansion for the next several years. Then this week a new report came out that Simons is out there trying to find people with cash to back their expansion. That Simons is now actively looking for people to fund expansion suggests hot opportunities they want to pursue have come open and that may include Regina.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 6:38 PM

I finally got into the Cornwall after being away from Regina forever. I noticed that new stores like Zumiez etcs. facades extend all the way to the ceiling rather than having a small white wall between the facade and the ceiling. It definitely makes the mall look bigger doing it that way!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Alright - I'll switch to retail... H&M removed their exterior signs sometime over the past couple of days.

I'll start the rumour that this indicates they're planning to move into the Sears space
Confused still about what you meant by them removing the signs?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:40 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Confused still about what you meant by them removing the signs?
The H&M lighted signage that was going up is now gone. Could have been something wrong with it?

They have added a bunch of decals around the mall though: on the escalator, a clothing collection bin in the centre, along with their branded hoarding.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The H&M lighted signage that was going up is now gone. Could have been something wrong with it?

They have added a bunch of decals around the mall though: on the escalator, a clothing collection bin in the centre, along with their branded hoarding.
I noticed on my way home after 5:00 pm today that the signage has been put up (including the red plastic letters) on both the exterior and interior entrances on the main floor, as well as on the 11th Avenue side. I don't know about the second floor as I was not up there. It's rather discreet in my opinion, and not large as some people might have been hoping for. Perhaps this might have something to do with the heritage nature of the building?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:

Not sure where your getting your facts from. But they contradict the numbers. Very little empty space in those buildings.
Tower 3 has 3800sq ft for lease left
FCC tower 2 has 1800sq left.
As per Harvard Developments leasing

Nutrien is leasing 80,000sq ft. Downtown also.

According to Avison & Young and Colliers, office space inventory will decline steadily over the next couple of years. Vacancy will be below 10%.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
Not sure where your getting your facts from. But they contradict the numbers. Very little empty space in those buildings.
Tower 3 has 3800sq ft for lease left
FCC tower 2 has 1800sq left.
As per Harvard Developments leasing

Nutrien is leasing 80,000sq ft. Downtown also.

According to Avison & Young and Colliers, office space inventory will decline steadily over the next couple of years. Vacancy will be below 10%.
Where did you hear this? That is big news for Regina if true. I believe this would be part of the former Agrium retail group.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Where did you hear this? That is big news for Regina if true. I believe this would be part of the former Agrium retail group.
I have a relative that works in the Conexus building on Albert and Victoria. It's the tower on 12ave and Albert st.
Where CGI used to be.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
I have a relative that works in the Conexus building on Albert and Victoria. It's the tower on 12ave and Albert st.
Where CGI used to be.
Wow. That space was vacant for a long time. Great news.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:29 PM

H&M cladding came down last night...
https://imgur.com/a/VMft9

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
H&M cladding came down last night...
https://imgur.com/a/VMft9
Looks like H&M Men is on the second level. It looks sooooo good!!! All the glass!!!

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Mar 20, 2018 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Where CGI used to be.
Rumors have been swirling about that building for a while not. But that is not the tenant being rumored.

80,000 square feet would also equate to around ~500 employees by modern standards. I'd be hugely skeptical of Nutrien going there as their typical office is suburban.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan