HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:24 AM

rendered animation of the space Recursion is moving in to,

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/user/bowenstudios

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
Is City Creek not functioning well as a regional shopping destination? I mean, I know that malls are trending towards extinction, but I guess I expected City Creek to perform better.
While I am not sure I would take this bit of anecdotal evidence as proof of a larger issue, I do think that City Creek will likely eventually succumb to industry realities that companies such as Amazon are creating and have to change their business model. You are seeing this reality play out at the Gateway and with the proposed development of the Old Cottonwood Mall site. These plans call for much more office and residential units. The retail landscape is very different then the one that existing when the CCC was being conceived. The second level of retail may not be practical. I could see those areas changing to small offices or restaurants.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Development that chains people to their car, especially in the center of a choke point like the point of the mountain, is irresponsible. It's crazy dystopian. It's great that we are getting so many jobs with a high multiplier effect but this kind of development comes with too many external costs. Something needs to change soon. I imagine more and more people are going to agree with my POV in the coming years. When a boom like this is poorly planned and managed excitement can quickly give way to dread. BTW the tech Boom is being caused by the strengths of the region not by the hillbillies running Lehi. BYU,UofU,UVU, and good demographics. Lehi simply has open land at the center of a sought out population. We would still be getting these companies if Lehi were a little more responsible. Honestly if Lehi had done nothing more than slapping together a simple grid system we would be in much better shape than we are.

Great observations. My company was one of the first to move to Thanksgiving Point in Nov. of 2006. There were no stop signs, stop lights or traffic. Now it is a total mess. The location is great, but I can't even leave my work until 6:30 unless I want to sit in gridlocked traffic for half an hour...and that is just to leave the immediate area of Thanksgiving Point onto the freeway. My bus. partner hates the area now and is begging to move. Maybe it will improve when the freeways are expanded, but it will only be temporary, which says nothing about the fact that the overall layout of the whole area is clunky, congested and completely unfriendly to pedestrian traffic.

A few months back I saw a confused oriental guy looking at a map in the Maverick gas station. He wanted directions to get the outlet mall across the freeway, very visible and maybe 500 yards away. Realizing he would probably be killed walking there, I offered a ride, taking about ten minutes round trip. I avoid the area now at all costs.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 9:48 PM

Jazz to Bid for NBA All-Star Game 2022 or 2023

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:05 PM

Got to tour the AC hotel today. Quite the neat project going up. According to them, the royal wood plaza development is more than likely going to happen, as they went to the developers and city to see what the likelihood was of having a 20+ story high rise or two across the street, in order to tweak some of their designs and materials to make better use of the lighting and the final look of the area.

Unfortunatley, per Marriot’s taste (and not the architects, they tried to persuade them otherwise) the white metal cladding will only be used for the street facing portion of the building, the other sides are plain gray stucco. The back of the building looks like it’s from Soviet era Ukraine...

From the original proposal on the cascade site, to the current site but still with 22 stories, the residential portion cut and left with just 12, then further cut down to 7, and then with many of the unique features, layouts, materials, and amenities continuously cut by Marriot, this project is a very watered down version of what it was supposed to be. It’s sill a nice hotel, but it’s nothing unique.

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Jan 31, 2018 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Wow that would be great. I remember being there. Some real legends in that 93 game

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:37 AM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I'm very excited to see the development proposals that will come from this.

It's in such a prime location, and it's a HUGE lot. Residential would be great and is always needed, but I hope we can get some people to think outside the box with this opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:32 PM

I'm having Trouble visualizing exactly where this is going. New Food Alley proposal on 800South and State Street.

http://www.slcmayor.com/pressrelease...rst-food-alley

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:45 PM

As far as I can tell it doesn't specify which corner of the intersection it's going on. But the 800S corner has the now-abandoned Sears, Taco Time, a sketchy car dealership, and a pawn shop. Not exactly treasured community gems, so really it could go on any of those corners and I would be happy. Though personally my vote would be that First Class Cars dealership, since it's a decent-sized lot and it's a total eyesore.

If that really works out as they explain it that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would hope for on that intersection in that area of town.

Last edited by bob rulz; Feb 1, 2018 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 7:57 PM

The future for that Sears block is beginning to finally sound promising. Infact, the expansion south of downtown can't happen soon enough. Let's hope for some quick progress this coming year on Patrinely and Held. Especially Patrinely, as far as speeding up the development of it's neighboring Sears block.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:02 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguisize View Post
I'm having Trouble visualizing exactly where this is going. New Food Alley proposal on 800South and State Street.

http://www.slcmayor.com/pressrelease...rst-food-alley
It's where Blue Nile used to be and Crank SLC is now. Approx 755 S. State. Mai Nguyen (Sappa, Bucket of Crawfish, Purgatory) consolidated that block last year. Some cool pics in the link.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:10 PM

So all the eyesores on that intersection will remain? Ah well.

At least my dream of Epic buying out the First Class Cars dealership and building a proper brewpub on that corner remains alive.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:35 PM
Engineer

Great development and potential development on the State Street corridor. Makes me really wish the State Street revitalization (Life on State) project would move forward. Has anyone heard anything about it? I haven't seen any updates in almost a year, though according to the Life on State website they should have the final plan by now:

https://www.lifeonstate.com/

I would really like to see this plan.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:49 PM
Engineer

According to the last presentation on the Life on State project (which I believe was last April), State Street could soon look like this:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+-+reduced.pdf

Imagine another Hardware Village type project rising on a street like this. Would be a huge deal and a complete transformation--though it is the most expensive of all the options presented.

Compare to what it currently looks like:

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:49 AM

^^^^^^

Photo 1- people want to be on the street, walking and enjoying the street and city.

Photo 2- well... exactly what we have. Not a friendly pedestrian area or any draw for residential development.

The current state of our streets is an excellent example of how the city has failed in the past to lure residential growth. Photo one is a good example of what the city can do to inject a little life into parts of our city.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:50 AM

Nice post airhero.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:11 AM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:08 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
According to the last presentation on the Life on State project (which I believe was last April), State Street could soon look like this:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+-+reduced.pdf

Imagine another Hardware Village type project rising on a street like this. Would be a huge deal and a complete transformation--though it is the most expensive of all the options presented.

Compare to what it currently looks like:
Wait!! It looks like in the first photo there are some 600-800ft. towers in the background! How likely are those to show up on the scene of state? Last night I was watching KUTV news and the mayor decided she wants to raise taxes to pay for infrastructure and growth? Is this a good idea? She insinuated that much of the money will go to subsidize affordable housing. As a Libertarian, I detest the idea. What are your thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:35 AM

Very cool. Nice work as usual Isaac

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West