HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 8:02 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Well, not really. I just wondered if there was anything going on there.

In other news:

Well, after a good while of waiting, I finally got the e-mail I've been waiting for.

Here was my e-mail to Arcwheeler:

Sent: Fri 9/15/2006 5:58 PM
To: John Voneiff
Subject: hi

Hi John,
Hope you're having a good day.
I just read the news on the land Acquisition of 414 Light Street in Baltimore.
That's great news.
Can we expect an update on the project? New renderings?
Hope to hear something soon.

Thanks for your time.

Steve Wyatt
----------------------

After a long wait I finally got his answer:

Steve,

As you know, ARCWheeler has closed on 414 Light Street. It will be operated as a parking lot, managed by Central Parking, until we finished our pre-construction work and complete the UDARP and approval possesses. Expect construction to begin in about 14-16 month toward a completion in early 2011. The mixed-use make-up of the building is not finalized. It will have about 75,000 SF of Retail, 2 great restaurants, a gourmet food store, a destination spa and workout facility, an approximate 225 key well known brand hotel, some small office-residential suites, about 50 lofts in the building's plinth - 4-6 stories up, approximately 125 residential condominiums and either office for a blue-chip tenant or luxury apartments plus about 1000 parking stalls. The building will exceed 700 feet but be below 800 feet. Views from 500 feet are approximately 15 miles in any direction. Any of the mixed use components might change over the next six-months. The Design Architect is Robert A.M. Stern, STV is the likely Architect of Record and Whiting-Turner Contracting Company will be the builder. The project is estimated to be 1,000,000 +/- SF plus parking.

Best

John

John Voneiff
ARCWheeler

-------------------

Well, we wanted specifics. Other than updated renderings, I'd say this bit of information is pretty specific and should answer allot of our questions.

Thank you, John.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 1:01 AM
Bmore's Ambassador

The news we've been waiting for Steven. You called for it last week and the news came through. I'm so ecstatic right now. We'll be seeing renderings soon!!!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 2:06 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

I hope so. That would be nice.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 2:26 PM

Thats great news about 10 IH! Thanks for the update. It sounds exciting for sure.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 12:53 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Tuesday, October 24
Robert A.M. stern, Architect
First Annual Robert E. Lewis Memorial Lecture
Presented by: Baltimore Architecture Foundation through a gift from the family of architect Robert E. Lewis.
Time: 6:30 – 8 p.m. with reception to follow.
Cost: FREE, courtesy of Free Fall Baltimore.
Contact: Nancy Hurth, 410-547-9000 ext. 236, nhurth@thewalters.org.
Description: Designed by the New York firm of Robert A.M. Stern FAIA, 10 Inner Harbor soon will be by far the tallest building in Baltimore. Mr. Stern, founder and senior of the 170-person firm, will discuss his work and this new addition of the Baltimore skyline. Currently serving as dean of the Yale School of Architecture Mr. Stern has also lectured extensively in the United States and abroad on both historical and contemporary topics in architecture and is the author and co-author of several books on architecture.
---------------------------------------

Anyone going?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 4:29 AM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
Downtown apartment plan stalls

This week, officials with Baltimore Development Corp., the city's development arm, were expecting Sapperstein to ask for yet another extension of what began as a 90-day exclusive negotiating period with the agency.

"In any business, you have to make adjustments depending on the economy, etc., and that's what I'm doing here," Sapperstein said. "The reason we're in flux is we're deciding what makes sense to do."

Unveiled at a news conference at BDC headquarters, the $71 million Cityscape was to include 300 apartments renting for as much as $3,000 a month, street-level shops and a 542-space parking garage. A pool was to go on the roof of the 25-story building.

On BDC's Web site, the agency still puts Cityscape's completion date at July 1 of next year. "It's closer to fall of 2008," Sapperstein said, adding that's only if things begin soon.

When the city turned over the 30 S. Calvert St. building to Currents in January 2005, officials promised the artists only six months. The idea was to have something vibrant in the space during the lull.

"It's been great," said Hans Petrich, one of the gallery founders. "Every time we talk to them, they push it back another six months.

jill.rosen@baltsun.com
Hah, my bus stop, (now that I work in the city, I take the bus) is right on that block... but now it is fenced off and a lane of Calvert St. for that block is closed (makes traffic even more of a bitch there). So I think they must be going to demo it soon..... I guess, why else would it be blocked? it's been blocked this whole week.

That is an exciting part of town though, it's clost to Water St. .... Water St. is diagonal from 300 E. Pratt where that nice 52 story building will be. So.. this one at 30 Calvert will be 25 stories? Wish we could put something taller right there, but it is a lot taller than what is there now (which I'm not sure but may only be 12 stories at the tallest part)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 4:43 AM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman
I was on my way back from DC tonight and made a stop at the Inner Harbor and noticed something very odd...the water level in the harbor was easily several feet higher then normal. It was actually flooding the water taxi station there....any idea why the water was so abnormally high?

I noticed that today when I was walking by.. yeah it is going onto the water taxi area in the harbor... I thought it was funny, but I guess we have had an above average summer and then good September for rain. It has rained a lot for the past 2 months.... so maybe that's why

I MUST SAY A HUGE WELCOME TO ALL OF THE SSC PEOPLE COMING OVER HERE. IT IS GREAT TO HAVE A NICE BMORE CROWD HERE!!!!

I need to ask...... can anyone post pics? I would love to, but I'm not sure how to get them on here, but they wouldn't be too good of quality, they would be cell phone pics for now, but something is better than nothing.
But does anyone have any pics?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 2:17 PM
Bmore's Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55
I noticed that today when I was walking by.. yeah it is going onto the water taxi area in the harbor... I thought it was funny, but I guess we have had an above average summer and then good September for rain. It has rained a lot for the past 2 months.... so maybe that's why

I MUST SAY A HUGE WELCOME TO ALL OF THE SSC PEOPLE COMING OVER HERE. IT IS GREAT TO HAVE A NICE BMORE CROWD HERE!!!!

I need to ask...... can anyone post pics? I would love to, but I'm not sure how to get them on here, but they wouldn't be too good of quality, they would be cell phone pics for now, but something is better than nothing.
But does anyone have any pics?
I can't help you on the uploading pics part, but I would tell you that SSC has a huge collection of pics of Charm City. Many of those who post those pics aren't members here at SSP. (Yet)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 4:02 PM

whats up guys. In response to the construction on Calvert St. I'm pretty sure it streetscaping being done between lombard and baltimore st. There is some info about it on the downtown partnership website under the "whats new" section.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 5:08 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87
I can't help you on the uploading pics part, but I would tell you that SSC has a huge collection of pics of Charm City. Many of those who post those pics aren't members here at SSP. (Yet)
Get 'em over here!!!!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 5:11 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
Tuesday, October 24
Robert A.M. stern, Architect
First Annual Robert E. Lewis Memorial Lecture
Presented by: Baltimore Architecture Foundation through a gift from the family of architect Robert E. Lewis.
Time: 6:30 – 8 p.m. with reception to follow.
Cost: FREE, courtesy of Free Fall Baltimore.
Contact: Nancy Hurth, 410-547-9000 ext. 236, nhurth@thewalters.org.
Description: Designed by the New York firm of Robert A.M. Stern FAIA, 10 Inner Harbor soon will be by far the tallest building in Baltimore. Mr. Stern, founder and senior of the 170-person firm, will discuss his work and this new addition of the Baltimore skyline. Currently serving as dean of the Yale School of Architecture Mr. Stern has also lectured extensively in the United States and abroad on both historical and contemporary topics in architecture and is the author and co-author of several books on architecture.
---------------------------------------

Anyone going?
I suppose he'll have a rendering of the building? I think I am going to go. I should be able to. Would be better if it was at 5:30 or 6. Can he really talk about the 1 building for an hour an a half? I guess that is with all of the supposed questions. Is anyone else on here going?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 7:16 PM

So after that whole Beltway talk earlier, here is some news, although the Beltway and Ingleside do not intersect so I'm not quite sure what three bridges are being replaced on the West side. Frederick road make sense, but then I'm not sure about the other two. Maybe Edmondson Ave and Route 40. What they need to do is replace the triple bridge at I-70 already!

Beltway Improvements Announced
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
WBAL Radio as reported by John Patti

WBAL's John Patti reports from the beltway and Charles Street

Governor Robert L. Ehrlich has announced improvements at two busy Baltimore beltway interchanges. The governor has announced $6.8 million in funding to design improvements to the Charles Street interchange along the Baltimore Beltway in Lutherville. Maryland Transportation Secretary Robert Flanagan says the new interchange will improve safety and include a longer bridge to accommodate future widening of the Baltimore Beltway.

Design features also will provide an aesthetic gateway to the Lutherville community and the Charles Street corridor. "As Baltimore County continues to grow and prosper it is important that our roads be able to support the increased traffic," said Governor Ehrlich. "Our primary goal with this project is to improve safety at this busy interchange while making this key gateway an asset to the community. Projects like this one make Baltimore County a better, safer place to live."

Presently, the Baltimore Beltway in the area of Charles Street carries nearly 180,000 vehicles each day. This number is expected to increase by 25 percent to 225,000 by the year 2030. The Charles Street interchange handles about 53,000 vehicles daily.

To improve traffic operations at the interchange, approach and exit ramps will be realigned. The 51-year old Charles Street Bridge will be replaced on its existing alignment. Additional safety improvements incorporated in the new bridge will include ADA-compatible ramps, new sidewalks and the addition of turn lanes along Charles Street.

The new bridge and retaining walls will be designed to accommodate future beltway widening.

Ehrlich says the completed project will create a scenic vista as motorists from Charles Street and Bellona Avenue enter the Baltimore Beltway's outer loop. Continuing the gateway theme seen on neighboring bridges at York and Dulaney Valley roads over the beltway, the new bridge will incorporate design features that will include distinctive brick patterns and decorative lighting.

The governor has also announced that the state will commit $4.3 million to continue widening of the west side of the Baltimore beltway. The new funding will be used for design and the acquisition of right-of-way that will lead to the addition of a fourth lane along the outer loop of the beltway between Ingleside Avenue and Frederick Road.

"All those who drive the Baltimore Beltway know that major bottlenecks still exist on the west side,” said Governor Ehrlich. “The Beltway widening project we completed last year in Arbutus has made a substantial difference. With this funding we can continue our progress by tackling the next phase of the widening program and break another bottleneck in the Catonsville area.”

The one-mile section of I-695 between Ingleside Avenue and Frederick Road carries more than 190,000 vehicles per day. Motorists routinely experience travel delays along this stretch of the outer loop, particularly during the morning rush hours as motorists travel south toward I-95. As part of the project, three bridges, including the Frederick Road Bridge over I-695, will be replaced.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 11:59 PM
Bmore's Ambassador

You gotta love election season. That's when it seems politicians really make changes.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 9:00 PM
Baltimore

This is great news. The new Charles St. Bridge is a start to eventually widening the whole Northwest/North/Northeast part of the beltway. They are also making a new and longer bridge for Rossville Blvd going over '95 but really close to 695 on the northeast side.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 9:04 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Any pix?? :?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:05 AM
Baltimore

did anyone go to the talk from Robert Stern?

I could not go.

someone probably went who goes on ssc and not on here.... can anyone get the info from there and put it on here, or did anyone go to it? There has got to be some details on 10IH...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:20 AM
Baltimore

here is a link that shows a 'beginning' rendering of 300 E. Pratt
( I couldn't find a way to post it directly on here)

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...?t=8739&page=2

Looks alright, it would definately take up the whole block it seems

..... and here is the site of the company who is going to develop 300 E. Pratt

http://www.urbanamerica.com/index.html

click on "news" and you can see everything on Baltimore.

sdeclue, no luck on bringing other Bmore members to here?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:33 AM
Baltimore

2nd floor of Lockwood Place, right under Best Buy

First was Whole Foods, then came the smaller retailers. This is great news for a city with a growing dowtown population:

Large-scale retail sets up shop downtown
Filene's Basement signs lease for space near Inner Harbor
By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published October 24, 2006

Nearly 18 years after Baltimore bid farewell to its last department store, downtown is welcoming back large-scale retail - a Filene's Basement.

Though the bargain-lover's outlet isn't the traditional type of department store lodged in the memories of many Baltimoreans, development officials say its arrival heralds a shopping renaissance for the city and the cementing of what's becoming a nascent Baltimore shopping district.

"Without a doubt it's the sign of a comeback," said Downtown Partnership President Kirby Fowler. "It's all coming together."

Filene's Basement officials signed a lease yesterday to move into Lockwood Place, a new and glassy shopping center on Pratt Street that's already home to Best Buy.

Next spring, Filene's Basement, with its aisles of discounted men's, women's and children's clothing as well as housewares, is scheduled to move into 30,000 square feet there - occupying the entire second floor of the building developed by David S. Brown and A & R Development.

Long amenable to urban locations, Filene's Basement has been successful with center-city stores in Washington, Chicago, New York City and Boston, where the company is based.

Filene's officials think the Baltimore site, across from the bustling Inner Harbor and within walking distance of most downtown offices, will attract office workers on lunch break, tourists and downtown-area residents, said Patricia Boudrot, the store's spokeswoman.

"We think that area has a lot of potential and we wanted to get in now," she said.

Baltimore development officials are thrilled that national-name retailers finally want to get back into a downtown that not all that long ago, they couldn't get out of fast enough.

Urban Outfitters, another larger-sized store known for trendy fashions, is set to open later this year at Harborplace.

"Four years ago in the heart of downtown there was no Office Depot, no 7-Eleven, no Best Buy," said Fowler. "We've come a long way."

But it wasn't always such a struggle.

The intersection of Howard and Lexington streets was a once a shopping mecca with iconic department stores like Hochschild-Kohn, Stewart & Co., Hutzler's and Hecht's, where families came to buy everything from socks to stoves.

In January 1989, when Hecht's rung up its last sweater, downtown's shopping era seemed to have ended. By then it had already been slipping away for years.

But with downtown living in vogue again and monied baby boomers and young professionals moving back, Baltimore's shopping climate has begun to prosper anew.

A study released last year by the Downtown Partnership predicted the center city was ripe for retail - more so than anyone thought.

The group found that Baltimore ranked eighth among major U.S. cities for population density within a mile of downtown's core. That area also ranked 14th for median household income.

"I think we're starting to see the fruits of the demographics," said Baltimore Development Corp. President M.J. "Jay" Brodie.

"Bit by bit, in the Baltimore mode - not like a tidal wave - we're seeing national retailers interested in the downtown base."

Martin Millspaugh, who helped guide the early Inner Harbor development, agreed that the store's commitment to Baltimore is a sign that change is coming.

Downtown is thriving," he said. "Fifteen or 20 years ago one never would have thought something like this was possible."

Baltimore historian Gilbert Sandler said Filene's Basement - with its almost all-clothing inventory - will never replace the limitless variety of a Huztler's or a Hecht's. But in a new age of retail, Brodie said, something like Filene's Basement could be what those shops have evolved into.

"It's not like the old dinosaurs have come back," Brodie said. "These are the smart survivors."

If you consider Filene's Basement along with the appliances and electronics Best Buy is offering in the same building, added Sandler, a modern downtown shopper might be able to replicate the long-lost department store experience.

With Lockwood Place and Harbor East, Sandler said, the city is witnessing the stirrings of a new sort of Howard Street on the eastern edge of downtown.

"It's going to bring retailing to a part of downtown that never had it before," he said. "Maybe the two will become five and the five will become 10."

In attracting a large store like Filene's Basement, Baltimore has done what a lot of cities only wish they could, said Dave Feehan, president of the Washington-based International Downtown Association.

"It's a major coup," he said, explaining that in a typical older city, it's often not possible to find 30,000 square feet to fit a store like Filene's.

In Baltimore, beyond Lockwood Place, there aren't many such sites. But development officials hope national retailers will look at the former Mechanic Theater, where 80,000 square feet of retail is planned, and at the base of skyscrapers planned for the corner of Conway and Light streets and the site of the old News American building on Pratt Street.

"It's one of the first of many announcements," said Greater Baltimore Committee President Donald C. Fry.

"Some companies see opportunity before others. You always have to have someone out there as a pioneer who leads the way."

jill.rosen@baltsun.com

This will be great for all of the people that will live at 414 Water St. .. and of course the condos that will be in 300 E Pratt and 10IH. It is a place close by where people can get some household items it seems. Hopefully it will attract some other and even better retailers to dwell in the bottom floors of 300 E Pratt and 10IH!!!!

Also, I think someone mentioned earlier how a PF Changs will be there too.
Great gourmet Chinese

(sorry for the triple post, but I found news and thought that all needed to be shared on this main thread)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 9:14 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Yeah, this is the older proposal of 300 east pratt street. A 34 story tower. It's dead now.
The new proposal will be at least 52 stories tall.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 1:48 PM

I love to read info about more retail heading for the city center instead of Towson or White Marsh or Hunt Valley.

Did anyone make it to the lecture? I put it on my Outlook calendar, but for some reason neither my Blackberry nor my actual computer reminded me. Technology has some nerve! lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations