HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:04 PM
>~< , QED!

snapped a quick pic of the demo site from the bus today.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I really hope if it is UoC owned they will pursue a mixed use development with institutional in the base and quite a few floors of residential above. In theory Stony Is should be high rise all along the park, and no doubt probably would be lined with Vista Homes era towers if the Great Depression didn't let all the air out of the trend at the time. That newish UoC lab school, while a nice building in a vacuum really screwed the pooch with its' squandering of a prime location right on the park with the potential for park and lake views...crazy. The corner lot at SI and the Midway is begging for an amazing tall structure.
Yeah, but you could also argue the Lab School building is an amenity that attracts more wealthy families that might buy highrise units. Lincoln Park West isn't suffering because Francis Parker is there...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 2:12 AM
Plenary pleasures.

A new construction building located on campus is currently in the feasibility/study phase; at least 4-5 floors, tied with the biological sciences dept, and is currently budgeted at $300 million. It will house the first program of it's kind in the US. Final design is still probably a year or so out (perhaps a little sooner). Cannot provide any more detail at this time, but perhaps info will trickle out from the University itself soon enough.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:27 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
A new construction building located on campus is currently in the feasibility/study phase; at least 4-5 floors, tied with the biological sciences dept, and is currently budgeted at $300 million. It will house the first program of it's kind in the US. Final design is still probably a year or so out (perhaps a little sooner). Cannot provide any more detail at this time, but perhaps info will trickle out from the University itself soon enough.
Hmm that's interesting... I'd guess this would go in the Valet lot at 57th and Drexel? I'll keep an eye out for UChicago news...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Is this the cancer hospital that's been rumored for years, or are we talking about something different?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:46 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
Is this the cancer hospital that's been rumored for years, or are we talking about something different?
No this is different from the cancer hospital, which I believe is planned for the massive lot north of the new main hospital (CCD). This building will be on the north end of campus, straddled between the main university and BSD buildings, near the track/field.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:33 PM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
No this is different from the cancer hospital, which I believe is planned for the massive lot north of the new main hospital (CCD). This building will be on the north end of campus, straddled between the main university and BSD buildings, near the track/field.
Are you telling me they're going to tear down this wonderful piece of craftmanship: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7931...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Has there been any update on the cancer hospital? We've heard nothing concrete about it.

Hmmm, so it sounds like this new other building will be educational/research in nature?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Is this the site adjacent to the Eckhardt Research Center? The information I have on that site is that it will be tied to the IME/PME not BSD and aprox. 10 stories.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:03 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Is this the site adjacent to the Eckhardt Research Center? The information I have on that site is that it will be tied to the IME/PME not BSD and aprox. 10 stories.
I'm guessing it's this: https://maps.uchicago.edu/location/t...ration-center/

Although I did hear they're doing something with the old HEP building eventually although I thought they had moved a bunch of IME people in there now that the HEP group moved to MCP. I don't think Accelerator is going anywhere anytime too soon? That would ruin the view from our seminar room and the Hubble Lounge .

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I'm guessing it's this: https://maps.uchicago.edu/location/t...ration-center/

Although I did hear they're doing something with the old HEP building eventually although I thought they had moved a bunch of IME people in there now that the HEP group moved to MCP. I don't think Accelerator is going anywhere anytime too soon? That would ruin the view from our seminar room and the Hubble Lounge .
They are working on a complex for both the HEP and Accelerator sites that will facilitate an expansion of the IME to over 100 faculty. The exact timeline is above my pay grade but it is being fast tracked.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development