HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive


    350 Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:02 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,597
I think Pittsburgh dodged a bullet with the re-hab of the historic building. The tower as it's currently designed just has awkward and wonky massing, and the architects should go back to the drawing board. After they go back and complete 3rd grade.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:09 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I think Pittsburgh dodged a bullet with the re-hab of the historic building. The tower as it's currently designed just has awkward and wonky massing, and the architects should go back to the drawing board. After they go back and complete 3rd grade.
It was actually a deisgn competition from a local kindergarten.
__________________
The new Pittsburgh development thread is up.
Pittsburgh Rundown III

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:13 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
the rendering of the skyscraper on Oxford's website is TONS better than the original ones
Where? I have yet to see any better renderings. You're not talking about the ones from this press release are you?

http://www.oxforddevelopment.com/news/press-releases/
__________________
The new Pittsburgh development thread is up.
Pittsburgh Rundown III

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:38 PM
bmust71 bmust71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Where? I have yet to see any better renderings. You're not talking about the ones from this press release are you?

http://www.oxforddevelopment.com/news/press-releases/

The one that is on page 1 of this thread
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:35 AM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
The one that is on page 1 of this thread
That is the original. You are confusing me.
__________________
The new Pittsburgh development thread is up.
Pittsburgh Rundown III

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 1:16 AM
bmust71 bmust71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
That is the original. You are confusing me.
haha, i consider the first post by Evergrey the official renderings and the screenshot from Oxford's website "new"
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:28 PM
bmust71 bmust71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 190
According to this website, which puts the building between the Koppers building and two pnc building, it will be around 140 meters or 460 feet.
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:59 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 41,176
Not sure exactly where it would fit in here, but here's a view anyway...

zeising













__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:51 AM
Mugatu's Avatar
Mugatu Mugatu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
I don't mind the design. Definitely not my fav but I would still love to see this get built, especially given its location. Imagine this going up with the new PNC tower. The view from the south would be so nice and dense!

Any new news on this bad boy? Its not looking good I suppose.
__________________
Obey my dog.
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:20 AM
Wheelingman04's Avatar
Wheelingman04 Wheelingman04 is offline
Pittsburgh rocks!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Salem, OH (near Youngstown)
Posts: 8,800
This may just be a first for me but I hope they don't build it, and just keep and renovate what is there. That is a great building!
__________________
1 hour from Pittsburgh and 1 hour from Cleveland
Go Ohio State!!
Ohio Proud!
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 5:15 AM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,890
NYguy - You can't even see the location from that angle. Not sure what you were trying to show? Just random pics from Mt Washington you found??
__________________
The new Pittsburgh development thread is up.
Pittsburgh Rundown III

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 11:23 PM
Gilamonster Gilamonster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 463
The deadline given by Oxford Development to announce if they will build the skyscraper or refurbish and redevelop the current building was said to be "by the end of the year" Well, they have six hours left! It was a self imposed deadline, so there won't really be any consequences from this delay other than us skyscraper and development enthusiasts having to wait and speculate some more. I suppose the lack of an announcement could be construed as good or bad news for the new tower which was Oxford's stated preference for the site. The bad news is obviously that there has been no new tower announced, but the good news is that since they are pushing past their deadline, perhaps they are still holding out hope for the anchor tenant to be found or even in the process of negotiating the lease with a prospective tenant.
__________________
An optimist and a pessimist have one common viewpoint; their dislike of a realist.
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 12:51 AM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
NYguy - You can't even see the location from that angle. Not sure what you were trying to show? Just random pics from Mt Washington you found??
I've been playing around with Google Earth. Actually, to reference the last of NYGuys's photos, this new building would cover up what I believe is Three Mellon Center, the building with the Citizens Bank logo on the roof, which I believe is 41 stories tall...

I also am waiting rather anxiously for further detail of this project...
__________________
Transportation planning, building better communities of tomorrow through superior connections between them today...
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:06 AM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,890
Gila, yeah here is the article that stated they would choose by years end. http://www.cpexecutive.com/cities/pi...-by-years-end/
I'm speculating that they were hoping to have a tenant announcement by now if they were gonna build the tower which there has been no news at all concerning that. of course, the process of securing major tenants in a large building is generally pretty secretive and lenthy until the announcement so who knows; It could really go either way.

Once again, I would LOVE to see the new tower instead of the low rise rehab. I am NOT concerned at all about the MS Paint quality renderings because we all know they change several times before something is built. It would no doubt be modern and interesting by the time all is said and done.

Jonboy: Yeah, it would probably be partially visible from those angles, slightly to the RIGHT of the Citizens Tower:
Quote:


And the skylobby and street level look fine. Just ignore the rest of the design for now. Here I helped. LOL

The density of that block and the thought of two 500+ ft towers rising side by side makes me excited.
__________________
The new Pittsburgh development thread is up.
Pittsburgh Rundown III

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"

Last edited by Austinlee; Jan 1, 2013 at 2:19 AM.
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:12 PM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Gila, yeah here is the article that stated they would choose by years end. http://www.cpexecutive.com/cities/pi...-by-years-end/
I'm speculating that they were hoping to have a tenant announcement by now if they were gonna build the tower which there has been no news at all concerning that. of course, the process of securing major tenants in a large building is generally pretty secretive and lenthy until the announcement so who knows; It could really go either way.

Once again, I would LOVE to see the new tower instead of the low rise rehab. I am NOT concerned at all about the MS Paint quality renderings because we all know they change several times before something is built. It would no doubt be modern and interesting by the time all is said and done.

Jonboy: Yeah, it would probably be partially visible from those angles, slightly to the RIGHT of the Citizens Tower:



The density of that block and the thought of two 500+ ft towers rising side by side makes me excited.
I would love to see this new tower as well. You have no idea. Where else would you find two gargantuan buildings built side by side one another -- where else besides New York, Chicago, or any other large city with a vertically developed urban core anyway?
__________________
Transportation planning, building better communities of tomorrow through superior connections between them today...
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:47 PM
Gilamonster Gilamonster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 463
It would be cool to see two new towers being built almost back to back for sure.
__________________
An optimist and a pessimist have one common viewpoint; their dislike of a realist.
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 6:41 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
The deadline given by Oxford Development to announce if they will build the skyscraper or refurbish and redevelop the current building was said to be "by the end of the year" Well, they have six hours left! It was a self imposed deadline, so there won't really be any consequences from this delay other than us skyscraper and development enthusiasts having to wait and speculate some more. I suppose the lack of an announcement could be construed as good or bad news for the new tower which was Oxford's stated preference for the site. The bad news is obviously that there has been no new tower announced, but the good news is that since they are pushing past their deadline, perhaps they are still holding out hope for the anchor tenant to be found or even in the process of negotiating the lease with a prospective tenant.
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...velopment.html

Quote:
Oxford pushes back big development choice

Pittsburgh Business Times by Tim Schooley, Reporter
Date: Monday, January 7, 2013, 1:20pm EST

Oxford Development Co. has pushed back the time frame for deciding on whether to build a new office high-rise or renovate the building it owns at 441 Smithfield St.

After originally expecting to announce a decision by the end of 2012, Oxford CEO Steve Guy said the company now plans to make a final decision in the first quarter of 2013.

Guy said Oxford has opted to push back its decision after conferring with representatives for potential tenants of the project.

“We were asked to keep it open for the first quarter and we are doing that,” Guy said.

...
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:37 PM
Dale Dale is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,825
Okay, that sounds better than a no-go on the highrise.
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:42 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,339
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:44 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,890
^
__________________
The new Pittsburgh development thread is up.
Pittsburgh Rundown III

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.