HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 12:15 AM

http://www.mainesubies.com/tcbs/index.html

Clearly a bogus deal put on by the ti-cats. The "Whois" profile gives an email addy for anyone to vent.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 4:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ticats re-sign Marwan Hage

May 04, 2010
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/762761

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have re-signed veteran centre Marwan Hage.

Hage has been a leader on the field and a high-profile community ambassador for the team off the field. His new contract will keep him in black and gold through the 2012 season.

"We are pleased to extend Marwan's contract, as he's a veteran player who has established himself in the middle of our offensive line," said General Manager Bob O'Billovich in a statement released by the team.

"Marwan sets the tone for the rest of the line by making calls and being aggressive with his play.  Away from the field, he's a great representative of our team.”

Hage is a three-time CFLPA All star and was named an East Division All-Star in 2007.

Through his Hage's Heroes program, he has helped bring more than 3,000 underprivileged youth to Tiger-Cats home games and organized food drives that have fed more than 4,000 families.

In 2009, he was honoured with the 2009 Tom Pate Memorial Award for his efforts.

"This decision was easy,” said Hage. “Hamilton has become a large part of my life and more importantly, I see where this team is heading.  Every coach and player on this team has the same goal in mind - bringing a Grey Cup to Hamilton.”

The team also announced this morning that import running back Tre Smith has been released.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 10:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ti-Cats aren't looking good with an 0-2 start so far.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 12:49 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Ti-Cats aren't looking good with an 0-2 start so far.
Thats because we've put a hex on them over this stadium mess. They won't win until they agree to the West Harbour location.

LOL

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 4:41 PM

Seriously

If the TiCats want a new stadium and on their terms, Have at it!!!!!!!!! Their dime.
Fly solo and built one and or fix Ivor Wynne.
If the fans want one they can pay for it.
I have my personal interests and dont expect the City of Hamilton to pay for them.
But I would like to see a bunch of road resurfaced as the crap pavement is playing havoc on my suspension and front end alignment.
Think
Max 30,000 on a sell out game (labour day) and 11 games a yr. 11 days out of 365 = 354 days of nothing. Not a wise investment.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 2:16 AM

Ticats win!

Whatever Stala was trying to do after the TD confused me though.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:42 PM

Somewhat related to the business plight of the Ticats, Alan Maki penned an interesting piece in today's Globe and Mail, which you can find at the bottom of the front page of the sports section or by clicking here: "Stampeders have never looked better".

Excerpt:

Quote:
Off the field, the franchise is profitable for the first time in a long time. Getting hard numbers from the CFL’s privately owned clubs is like prying secrets out of the Kremlin and, true to form, the Stampeders owners won’t divulge theirs. But CFL contacts are adamant the club generated annual profits of $1-million from 2005 to 2008 and more than tripled that in 2009 by playing host to the Grey Cup. When The Globe and Mail bounced this figure off various owners, they offered no resistance.

This much is absolute:

- The Stampeders ownership group, which includes former players Dave Sapunjis and Bob Viccars, former University of Calgary football player Paul Colborne, oil and gas man Matthew Brister, investment dealer Rob Peters and three others who wish to remain unidentified, paid $6.5-million to send [former Stamps owner Michael] Feterik packing. (The Calgary Flames are also in for roughly 5 per cent.) Each owner purchased shares priced at $500,000 each with two goals in mind. “We wanted a winning program and not to have a cash call,” [co-owner Ted] Hellard says. They do, and they haven’t.

- With the Grey Cup game in tow as an inducement last season, the Stampeders did franchise-record business in ticket revenue, selling 30,000 season tickets. Tourism Calgary calculated the championship game resulted in “net economic activity” of $39.5-million for the province, more than $24-million in the city alone. This season, the Stampeders have sold 24,000 season tickets and “our corporate dollars are up, which is almost mind-numbing to us,” Hellard says. “Usually there’s a 20 to 30 per-cent drop-off [after staging a Grey Cup].”

- According to [co-owner John] Forzani, the Stampeders are in the “top three in the CFL for souvenir revenue.” The Saskatchewan Roughriders rank first. As for overall revenue, “no one beats the Montreal Alouettes,” he says. “Our top seats go for $600 for a year: the Als’ are roughly $1,000. They have fewer seats but they charge a premium.”

“To be honest, this is a very basic business – win games, sell tickets, facilitate your corporate relationships and entertain fans,” [former club president, now executive VP Stan] Schwartz says. “The owners had instant credibility. That’s what made this work right away.”

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
If the TiCats want a new stadium and on their terms, Have at it!!!!!!!!! Their dime.
Fly solo and built one and or fix Ivor Wynne.
If the fans want one they can pay for it.
I have my personal interests and dont expect the City of Hamilton to pay for them.
But I would like to see a bunch of road resurfaced as the crap pavement is playing havoc on my suspension and front end alignment.
Think
Max 30,000 on a sell out game (labour day) and 11 games a yr. 11 days out of 365 = 354 days of nothing. Not a wise investment.
I can't speak about hamilton but in ottawa the real probleam is people are aginst money going to sports but want arts and culture funded want a library want a concert hall want more parks the list goes on.If your aginst funding of any thing thats fine but if you start picking then that starts to go down a slippery slope.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:12 PM

But... none of those other things are for-profit industries. None of those things are privately owned.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
But... none of those other things are for-profit industries. None of those things are privately owned.
No thats not really true some are for profit and some are such as thearters etc are privatley owned.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:30 PM
The New Republic

It's also convenient how people don't include sports as part of our culture, but art is. Like it or not, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are by far the biggest symbol of your city. It helps define Hamilton, brings the city together, and raises the profile of Hamilton nationally more than anything else. You used to have Stelco and Dofasco, but they're both mere shadows of what they used to be.

Whether one likes football, this team's impact on Hamilton is huge. Without the Tiger-Cats, Hamilton would be one giant step closer to being just another non-descript city on the outskirts of Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's also convenient how people don't include sports as part of our culture, but art is. Like it or not, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are by far the biggest symbol of your city. It helps define Hamilton, brings the city together, and raises the profile of Hamilton nationally more than anything else. You used to have Stelco and Dofasco, but they're both mere shadows of what they used to be.

Whether one likes football, this team's impact on Hamilton is huge. Without the Tiger-Cats, Hamilton would be one giant step closer to being just another non-descript city on the outskirts of Toronto.
Its not just part of the city football is a big part of the culture in canada.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:00 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Its not just part of the city football is a big part of the culture in canada.
Yes, I agree with that as well.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 3:57 PM

Ticat fans gone wild.

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/ar...ructing-police

I have been to a couple games over the years and it does get difficult to watch the game with a fair number of over-zealous fans. I was concerned for a 20ish kid wearing a BC Lions jersey at a game and the verbal abuse which was on it's way to physical as time went by and the Ti-Cat fan had more. Just watch the Labour Day classic for fight and beer tossing.

I was at a NFL game recently and did not see this even with the acres of Tailgate parties. maybe we should allow tailgating (official) as then people would not have to sneak it in, flask it and guzzle it and hide the evidence.

To attack a cop is quite brazen...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

No Argo Labour Day game this year

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...game-this-year

In a move that’s likely to anger Argo-hating traditionalists, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats will not host Toronto on Labour Day this season.

The CFL is expected to release its 2011 season schedule at noon today but the Spectator has learned that the Tiger-Cats will play the Montreal Alouettes Sept. 5 at Ivor Wynne Stadium instead of its usual rivalry game against the Double Blue.

The issue, according to sources, is the limited number of home dates available to the Argos at Rogers Centre, which also hosts the Toronto Blue Jays and has a number of concerts scheduled this summer. Toronto will be at home the Friday before Labour Day.

The CFL has also officially announced that, as expected, the Ticats will play a home game in Moncton, News Brunswick Sept. 25 against the Calgary Stampeders. It means the team will have just eight regular season dates at Ivor Wynne Stadium this season.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:04 PM

No longer classic?

Can we still consider the Labor Day game a classic now when it doesnt include the two classic teams?

Agree with Steel Town that this is more likely to enrage argos fans more than anything.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ti-Cat View Post
Can we still consider the Labor Day game a classic now when it doesnt include the two classic teams?

Agree with Steel Town that this is more likely to enrage argos fans more than anything.
It is annoying, but it wasn't like there was a fifty year streak going. If it becomes a trend, I'll be ticked.

It will be interesting to see how attendance goes. Provided the team is at least at 500 I still think it will sell out, especially with only 8 home games this year.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 8:03 PM

Ticats will play two more seasons at Ivor Wynne

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...at-ivor-wynne/

Mark Masters May 25, 2011 – 2:38 PM ET | Last Updated: May 25, 2011 2:48 PM ET

The current incarnation of Ivor Wynne Stadium will host Canadian Football League games for two more seasons, according to Hamilton Tiger-Cats president Scott Mitchell.

During a conference call with reporters on Wednesday Mitchell confirmed the Ticats will play at Ivor Wynne in 2012. The club will need to find a new home during the 2013 season when part of Ivor Wynne will be torn down and a new facility will be built on the site. Infrastructure Ontario will oversee the construction process.

“I cannot speak much about the 2013 season right now,” Mitchell told reporters.

“What I do know is there is going to be a world-class, absolutely beautiful stadium, new stadium, delivered on the old Ivor Wynne site in 2014. The work that we’ve seen done and the discussions we’ve had have been incredibly productive and I couldn’t be more excited nor can [owner] Bob [Young] about the new stadium.”

The city of Hamilton and the Ticats sparred for months about where the new stadium should be built and how it would be financed. In January, Mayor Bob Bratina and Young finally brokered a deal to keep the stadium at its current location. The provincial government then increased its contribution to the project to bridge a funding gap, which had threatened to derail the plan.

During the process Young suggested he would move the team if the Ticats did not secure a new home within the Hamilton city limits.

“Bob’s commitment and ongoing enthusiasm for the franchise and for the city is as strong as ever,” Mitchell told reporters.

“What was a very tough debate for a good deal of time ended off with a good result and what was at time acrimonious has turned into an incredibly positive and enthusiastic relationship with the city and the mayor, the chief of staff and the city manager.”

It appears as if the stadium fight has not had an adverse affect on the team’s bottom line.

“We had a 19% growth rate in total revenue for last year, which is phenomenal all things considered with the economy and some of the situations we were going through,” Mitchell said.

The team went over the $1-million in merchandise sales for the first time in history.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 3:40 PM

TiCats Home Opener

Tonight is the TiCat's home opener. In true Hamilton-fashion, a Downtown rally at a pedestrianized Gore Park has been dismissed/ignored. But you can 'tailgate' at Brian Timmis Stadium:

http://www.ticats.ca/article/it-ll-b...use-on-june-22

(Note: When I emailed Bernie Morelli and Jason Farr about a Gore Park event for said Home Opener, Bernie said *I* would have to organize everything and present my idea to the City.. as if. But at least he replied, Farr has yet to be heard from. So far, he's a worse Councilor than Bratina was for Ward 2. Farr is a complete joke of a representative!)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
Tonight is the TiCat's home opener. In true Hamilton-fashion, a Downtown rally at a pedestrianized Gore Park has been dismissed/ignored. But you can 'tailgate' at Brian Timmis Stadium:

http://www.ticats.ca/article/it-ll-b...use-on-june-22

(Note: When I emailed Bernie Morelli and Jason Farr about a Gore Park event for said Home Opener, Bernie said *I* would have to organize everything and present my idea to the City.. as if. But at least he replied, Farr has yet to be heard from. So far, he's a worse Councilor than Bratina was for Ward 2. Farr is a complete joke of a representative!)
GOD FORBID Bernie would have to actually work for his paycheck!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation