HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
Update on the Tempe Gateway building:

I see a bar (loco patron) is opening up on the corner, kind of odd to see the mexican bar open up and there is no patio room.

the loco in old town does very well but wonder how this will do

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post
I see a bar (loco patron) is opening up on the corner, kind of odd to see the mexican bar open up and there is no patio room.

the loco in old town does very well but wonder how this will do
From what I have read and understand, they are going to replace the windows and make a semi-patio along the round part and possible the sides as well.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2012, 8:46 PM

I road my bike over to downtown Tempe this morning and snapped some shots of The Hub and the new Marriott Hotel. The Hub is up to 11 stories. It's really starting to fill in the skyline at that end of 5th! Imagine when the Marriott is that tall as well! I hope that these developments help spur some in-fill in that dead zone between College and Mill, University and 5th.

I still can't figure out how to directly post my pictures- I really hate how hard it seems to be to do that on this blog. I would post a lot more if I could figure how to make it work. Anyways, here the link to my Flicker page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63271296@N07/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 3:48 AM

Some pictures taken this afternoon, 7/19/2012, of the HUB and Marriott Hotel in Tempe.

HUB

Marriott

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 6:05 AM

Pictures look good. Look like "The Hub" building has 4-6 stories to go. Depending on what sources you use. Newspaper says 17-stories, but the turned in city application says 19...so yeah.

Anyway, NEWS ON THE BLOCK 12 DEVELOPMENT!!! Looks like they are hoping to break ground by November this year and have it completed by March '14 (I know long time for a 5-story 150-200 thousand sq ft. project). Funding is secured and now just final development plans and final approval. I do believe that this includes mid-minor redevelopment of College Avenue from University to Veterans as well. Although, that is just speculation from plans posted in 2010.

http://azbex.com/funding-approved-fo...-use-facility/

Oh & architect is?:

http://www.gensler-architekten.de

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:16 PM

I think they mean that the architects of Block 12 are Gensler and Architekton. (There is a US firm called Gensler and Architekton is from Tempe.)

www.architekton.com
www.gensler.com

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 6:43 PM

Does anyone have a legit source as to the Whole Foods that could go up at the empty lot on Ash and University? I live in Downtown Tempe, not having a grocery store is almost as insane as not having one in Downtown Phoenix. Safeway at Rural and Broadway is my closest grocery and if it weren't for the girls there I would be a lot more impatient. I think a Trader Joe's or Sprouts would be a much better option, but I'll take an overpriced Whole Foods over nothing.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Does anyone have a legit source as to the Whole Foods that could go up at the empty lot on Ash and University? I live in Downtown Tempe, not having a grocery store is almost as insane as not having one in Downtown Phoenix. Safeway at Rural and Broadway is my closest grocery and if it weren't for the girls there I would be a lot more impatient. I think a Trader Joe's or Sprouts would be a much better option, but I'll take an overpriced Whole Foods over nothing.
I have heard this rumor for a long time, but I have no idea if it's ever going to happen. I went to the Whole Foods at Baseline and Rural a couple months ago and asked a manager there- and they said that they had not heard of a Whole Foods opening there.
I agree with you 100% though that a Trader Joes or a Sprouts would be a MUCH better fit. And like you- I live in the downtown Tempe area- near Hardy and First and it kills me that we have nowhere nearby to buy groceries!
Your assessment of the Safeway at Rural and Broadway is pretty accurate though. My friends and I call it the "Sexy Safeway!" lol!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
I have heard this rumor for a long time, but I have no idea if it's ever going to happen. I went to the Whole Foods at Baseline and Rural a couple months ago and asked a manager there- and they said that they had not heard of a Whole Foods opening there.
I agree with you 100% though that a Trader Joes or a Sprouts would be a MUCH better fit. And like you- I live in the downtown Tempe area- near Hardy and First and it kills me that we have nowhere nearby to buy groceries!
Your assessment of the Safeway at Rural and Broadway is pretty accurate though. My friends and I call it the "Sexy Safeway!" lol!
Wish they would just that old CVS space and expand. Really don't get their model of making their store layouts so tight.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Hahah I also like "Babeway." That place never let's me down. Hopefully we can get a Sprout's at Ash and University soon tho!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 8:01 PM

New restaurant alert.

http://www.millavenue.com/news/pr/ne...-open-in-tempe

New Restaurant Alert: Healthy World Cuisine Breakfast and Lunch Spot Now Open in Tempe

New Times: Chow Bella
By Laura Hahnefeld

The list of food styles for Tempe's new Desert Roots Kitchen reads like a global grocery list: American, Asian Fusion, Brazilian, Caribbean, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Thai, etc.

But the new breakfast and lunch spot, which opened Monday at 414 South Mill Avenue (Mill and Fifth Street, in the former home of In Season Deli), mostly prides itself on healthy, fresh fare with an emphasis on local ingredients.

With an affordable menu that changes daily, diners can expect dishes such as mixed bean wraps, tropical couscous, watermelon kiwi gazpacho, whole wheat dill pasta, and minted pea crostinis as well as smoothies, mocha almond bars, and coffee.

The hours for Desert Roots Kitchen are 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. during the summer. Lunch starts at 10:30 a.m.

Desert Roots Kitchen
414 South Mill Avenue, Tempe
480-382-0228
www.desertrootskitchen.com

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:33 AM

Skyspace (east of Biodesign) is complete. Photos courtesy of a_man16035

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 2:11 AM

The Hub is looking great, looks to be at about 16 stories if my counting was accurate. Does anyone know what the structure outside of Monti's is supposed to be? I'm assuming its going to look like the one across the street at Hayden Flour Mill, just didn't know if anyone had details. Thanks

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 3:02 AM

Quote:
The Hub is looking great, looks to be at about 16 stories if my counting was accurate. Does anyone know what the structure outside of Monti's is supposed to be? I'm assuming its going to look like the one across the street at Hayden Flour Mill, just didn't know if anyone had details. Thanks
I was wondering the same thing! I have NO clue what it's going to be. It's strange that it blocks what sort of used to be the main entrance of Monti's. I guess the new entrance is on Mill. If I hear anything, or once it's done- I'll take pictures and post them.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 3:15 AM

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing! I have NO clue what it's going to be. It's strange that it blocks what sort of used to be the main entrance of Monti's. I guess the new entrance is on Mill. If I hear anything, or once it's done- I'll take pictures and post them.
I think EVT or Republic reported that Monti's is renovating their entrance in lieu of the Mill being open to the public.

Here's some photos from construction on campus that I took in earlier this month and last week.

Working on Cady Mall over by College and University

All Saints Newman Center

Landscaping over by PVs, San Pablo and Manzy

Manzy

ISTB IV

The Villas at Vista del Sol (formerly Ocotillo Hall site)

McCord Hall (WP Carey)

SRC Expansion

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 3:41 AM

Thanks for the pics. ASU's campus is going to look great in 10-12 months, can't wait to see the results. The new W.P. Carey building is going to look awesome. I wonder what Crow is gonna put at Rural between Rio Solado and Rural when he bulldozes the baseball field, track and tennis courts?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. ASU's campus is going to look great in 10-12 months, can't wait to see the results. The new W.P. Carey building is going to look awesome. I wonder what Crow is gonna put at Rural between Rio Solado and Rural when he bulldozes the baseball field, track and tennis courts?
I would say it would be more so Karsten and Packard before Sun Angel track and tennis courts since both baseball and golf are already looking at off campus sites. Also forgot to mention I saw some work being done on Batemen Center, Engineering Center, Social Science, Life Science, Hayden Library, Schwada and Payne Hall. About time they did something with these dated buildings.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
I would say it would be more so Karsten and Packard before Sun Angel track and tennis courts since both baseball and golf are already looking at off campus sites. Also forgot to mention I saw some work being done on Batemen Center, Engineering Center, Social Science, Life Science, Hayden Library, Schwada and Payne Hall. About time they did something with these dated buildings.
I think it would be a huge disservice for ASU to get rid of Karsten. Imagine when all those condo's and offices are built on the north side of Rio Salado between Rural and McClintock. That could look incredible with a golf course right in the middle of it all. I understand baseball will need to move off campus for beer sales, Karsten should stay.

Has anyone seen the old Dos Gringos/Barney's Boathouse? That place is in shambles, hope someone does something with it soon.

For anyone that frequents Mill Ave, the space just south of Fat Tuesday's and Jimmy Johns is going to be a modern BBQ spot from the same owner as La Bocca and Canteen. Could be a really good.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:13 AM

Anybody know much about the new apartments being built across from The Vue?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 4:25 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...venue-bar.html

World of Beer on tap for Mill Avenue in Tempe

The Republic | azcentral.com

If there's any business befitting a college town, it's one that's dedicated to beer.

World of Beer, a pub franchise out of Tampa, Fla., opens its first Western location on Mill Avenue next Wednesday and will feature 500 beers by the bottle and 58 on tap. It takes over the century-old Tempe National Bank, a 3,200-square-foot building previously occupied by American Apparel. ASU alumnus Ben Novello is CEO of the World of Beer franchise.

In a town with a number of businesses focused on craft beers, bartender Jessica Evans said World of Beer isn't trying to poach business, but rather provide more options.

"College kids are known for drinking Bud Light and Miller Light, and not that it's a bad thing, but we want to educate them about what else is out there," she said. "We'll have a reward program on WOB-U on Wednesday night where university students and faculty get half off select beers."

Although there are a great many beers to recall, staff members aren't just memorizing the names. They're put through an extensive 60-hour "beer class" that ends with a 100-question test, and each bartender and server will have to score a 90 percent or better in order to serve.

They'll team with such breweries as Four Peaks, Big Sky from Montana and Lagunitas to bring in rare kegs and bottles, some of which might not ever have been served in Arizona. And although general manager John Watts isn't saying when, World of Beer will tap Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA, a coveted varietal brewed in Delaware.

"We are working with Breckenridge Brewery (in Colorado) to create a beer specifically for the franchise," he said. "We'll be rotating the taps often. When one beer is tapped out, we'll replace it with the same style from another brewery so people can experience something different."

Watts and his team researched historic photos of the building and noticed the front was originally built out further, so a foyer-type entrance was added. Workers cut a square hole near the entrance to reveal the original brick. Inside, the bank-safe door has been polished to appear brand new, which leads to a room for private parties in the back.

A second-story platform was built for bands and DJs to perform over the long main bar on weekends.

There is no kitchen, but the owners have made deals with nearby restaurants, including Robbie Fox's Public House, Tavern on Mill, Monti's La Casa Vieja and Jimmy John's.

World of Beer Grand Opening

What: The new bar on Mill Avenue will feature more than 500 beers by the bottle, nearly 60 beers on tap, live music on the weekend and delivery service from several nearby restaurants.

When: Noon-2 a.m. Aug. 8.

Where: 526 S. Mill Ave., Tempe.

Admission: No cover, 21 and older.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...#ixzz22GVP3XTe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest