HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
That west elevation is awful. So long and unbroken/sad and uninteresting. Really wish their was more urbanity in everything popping up over there. I fear it will lack a walkable vibe once all of this is complete.
I agree. But, it is kind of like a horizontal highrise, and that in itself is sort of a semi kind of interesting if not a wee bit impressive in a not over the top sort of way.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
I fear it will lack a walkable vibe once all of this is complete.
Oh absolutely. Look at the ground floor - absolutely no street level interaction. It's all apartments on the first level. Street will be as dead as a doormat.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 10:07 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

To be clear this will be in the South Shore District east of I-35. This is not apart of South Shore Central which is between South 1st to just west of Travis Heights. They are seperate districts.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
To be clear this will be in the South Shore District east of I-35. This is not apart of South Shore Central which is between South 1st to just west of Travis Heights. They are seperate districts.
Exactly. Isn't this technically East Austin?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 12:42 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Exactly. Isn't this technically East Austin?
I don't know the specifics, but I wouldn't consider it East Austin, but rather a part of the Riverside Corridor. Not sure if that's correct either, though.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 4:46 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Technically anything east of 35 is on the eastside. I've always considered the area south of the river southeast Austin however I also say the Riverside corridor for the area between the river and Oltorf. That's how I've known it growing up and how my friends who live in the area call it.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Technically anything east of 35 is on the eastside. I've always considered the area south of the river southeast Austin however I also say the Riverside corridor for the area between the river and Oltorf. That's how I've known it growing up and how my friends who live in the area call it.
Well technically anything south of the river is South Austin too. So SE probably makes the most sense or East Riverside.

It's definitely not the South Shore as referred to in this thread though. I got excited opening this thread hoping that there would actually be news on some of the most valuable property in Austin. But alas, we'll continue to see a "vision" for years and years to come while an empty newspaper facility and other various dated structures sit on what could be a crown jewel for the city.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
Well technically anything south of the river is South Austin too. So SE probably makes the most sense or East Riverside.

It's definitely not the South Shore as referred to in this thread though. I got excited opening this thread hoping that there would actually be news on some of the most valuable property in Austin. But alas, we'll continue to see a "vision" for years and years to come while an empty newspaper facility and other various dated structures sit on what could be a crown jewel for the city.
East Riverside is still East Riverside in Travis Heights/central. I like the Riverside Corrider that Jdawg suggested.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 12:15 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
East Riverside is still East Riverside in Travis Heights/central. I like the Riverside Corrider that Jdawg suggested.
And this is just my experience from growing up. I went to and graduated from Travis High which is by the southwest corner of Oltorf and 35. The majority of the student population lived east of 35. When my friends would refer the area bounded by 35, Oltorf, Plasant Valley and Lake shore, they would either say southeast Riverside or simply off Riverside which was implied the same area. Then we had the students that lived in the Montopolis neighborhood and those that lived in Dove Springs and Bluff Springs, all considered the southeast side of Austin.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:11 AM
World Traveler

Okay, so the verdict is Riverside Corridor / SE Austin. Done.

This keeps in line with Austin having two or three names for everything, so that's pretty good in my book.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 12:28 PM

In planning terms, this site is within the East Riverside Corridor (ERC) Master Plan boundaries http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def.../erc_final.pdf
although I do not think it is governed by the regulating plan because it was within a PUD that was already underway when the master plan was started.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 3:53 PM

Technically, anything east of S. Congress is east Austin and anything west of S. Congress is West Austin. That’s how the naming convention for the streets work. The dividing line continues with congress ave after the river, on to speedway and ave F.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:11 PM

According to Google Maps, "East Austin" is generally the area bordered by I-35 to the west, 7th street or Cesar Chavez to the south, Airport or 183 to the east, and Manor to the north. I pretty much agree with those boundaries, althoguh I would say the southern boudnary could even be Lady bird Lake. South of the river, east of I-35 I refer to as Riverside/Pleasnt Valley/Montopolis, and then the further south you go, just "southeast austin."

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 9:41 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
According to Google Maps, "East Austin" is generally the area bordered by I-35 to the west, 7th street or Cesar Chavez to the south, Airport or 183 to the east, and Manor to the north. I pretty much agree with those boundaries, althoguh I would say the southern boudnary could even be Lady bird Lake. South of the river, east of I-35 I refer to as Riverside/Pleasnt Valley/Montopolis, and then the further south you go, just "southeast austin."
The area south of 7th is known as East Central as well, all my friends that live and grew up near Cesar Chavez have always claimed East Central however it is obviously also East Austin.

In terms of Congress being the dividing line is more to do with the address system, being the main street that goes up to the Capitol. Its the same with the river being the dividing line between DT/North and South. But people don't relate anything east of Congress as geographically east Austin, we consider everything west of 35 apart of South Austin.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
In terms of Congress being the dividing line is more to do with the address system, being the main street that goes up to the Capitol. Its the same with the river being the dividing line between DT/North and South. But people don't relate anything east of Congress as geographically east Austin, we consider everything west of 35 apart of South Austin.
This wasn't my point. I agree that this is the general understanding. My point was that people kept throwing around the word "technically" and Congress Ave is the only absolute (or legal) delineation between East and West in Austin. It likely dates back to before I-35 existed and it was just referred to as "East Avenue"

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:58 PM

Environmental Commission recommends Hooters PUD
https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...rict-approved/
Quote:

Unable to wait for the codification of the new South Central Waterfront Vision Framework Plan and its associated environmental standards, eager builders came to the Environmental Commission on Jan. 3 in pursuit of a planned unit development on the site of Austin’s only Hooters restaurant.

Ronald A. Nelson and Molly Belle Properties are requesting a zoning change from General Commercial Services (CS) to Planned Unit Development (PUD) for the 1.45-acre property at 425 W. Riverside Drive. The zoning change will accommodate their intended 195-foot building. Under the current commercial zoning, the maximum height the building can be is 60 feet.

“Because we’re a little early (for the South Central Waterfront plan), we’re asking for a PUD, which is actually a benefit to the city,” said Richard Suttle, a development lawyer who spoke on behalf of the applicant to explain the reasoning behind the request.

Planned unit developments are intended for large or complex developments that are unified as a single continuous project. This zoning designation allows multi-use projects and greater design flexibility within its boundaries by requiring that developers construct a superior development to that which would occur using conventional zoning regulations.

For 425 W. Riverside Drive, this means environmental enhancements to the currently barren lot as well as the construction of 270,525 square feet of office space, 21,045 square feet of retail and 10 residential units.

As part of the PUD, the proposed project offers a number of community benefits that would not otherwise be part of the existing zoning. These benefits include ground-floor retail, increased number and variety of trees, 4,300 square feet of landscaping including green roofs, enhanced green water quality controls, the extension of the city’s reclaimed water system into the South Central Waterfront district, and the water quality treatment for a portion of Barton Springs Road.

Becoming environmentally superior to the current state, however, is not a high bar. “The site is nearly 100 percent impervious cover,” said Andrea Bates, who is the environmental program coordinator for the Watershed Protection Department. Furthermore, there is no impervious cover mitigation on the property. According to her, the closest thing to landscaping is the one tree on the property, which happens to be an invasive species.

Despite this, Commissioner Linda Guerrero noted, “I know that the neighborhood association isn’t keen on this PUD.”

According to Commissioner Pam Thompson, the building’s proposed height is behind the neighborhood association’s dislike of the project. So that the neighborhood doesn’t have to gaze at a “box,” the developers have fashioned a compromise that includes the installation of tiered green roofs.

Chair Maria Perales said that if the commission were to consider this request outside of the context of the South Central Waterfront Initiative and simply as a PUD variance request, it would be “pretty straightforward.” However, she said, “If we’re going to consider how this fits into the bigger scheme, I don’t think we can do that tonight.”

Commissioner Kathleen Coyne explained, “The only reason there is a PUD being brought up is because (the South Central Waterfront Initiative) hasn’t been codified yet.”

The South Central Waterfront Initiative was adopted by City Council in 2016 and was established to expand the open space and increase pedestrian access to 118 acres south of the river at Congress Avenue as well as increase affordable housing units to 20 percent of the total in the new housing developments.

Currently, the plan is developing under the watchful eye of the South Central Waterfront Advisory Board.

Bates explained that in terms of water quality controls, this particular PUD was instrumental. “This project played a very key role in refining that (South Central Waterfront) proposal,” she said. Indeed, no commissioner argued against the environmental superiority of this project. Despite their reluctance to encourage PUDs in this district, the commissioners voted unanimously to approve a recommendation for the rezoning of this development site.

Commissioner Hank Smith said, “If we’re going to have a project to kick it all off, this is a good project.”
That's a pretty big office project. It's almost as much office space as 300 Colorado.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:17 PM

Old Gensler conceptual design for the Statesman site:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BerNSu5j...y=blume_george

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:39 PM
World Traveler

*cough* soccer stadium surrounded by MUD potential on that site *cough* I don't want to see your logical explanations about cost of land and profitability for sports on that site because it would still be awesome *cough*

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Old Gensler conceptual design for the Statesman site:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BerNSu5j...y=blume_george
I'm on board with this. Anyone got any ideas on what Endeavor is planning for the spot?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:49 PM

Reminds me of what the Fairmont could have should have looked like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin