HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 6:41 PM

What do you want to bet that the part of the building that is suppose to be preserved, for whatever reason, will need to 'come down' as well? Or mysteriously 'collapses'. tic toc... tic toc

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 7:43 PM

I like the other quote in the Spec:

Quote:
“You look and think of everything that has been torn down between Hess Street and John Street… It’s disgusting what we’ve lost”
This will make another almost empty superblock in Downtown Hamilton. Say all you want about abandoned buildings making the downtown look bad. I think the empty lots and rubble make it look even worse, like a war zone.

Come on, who in their right mind would add another 20,000 square feet of retail in downtown Hamilton when it already has so much vacancy? Unless it's a big box store. I suspect the retail will probably be one of those big Shopper's Drug Marts. One storey, complete with parking lot in front of the store. Beside the suburban-style Staybridge Suites, completely surrounded by parking.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 8:17 PM

The demolition rightly causes concern over the fate of this block. However, the site plan calls for a well developed high-density development for this block at the end of the day:

Graphics from thespec.com
url of original article is http://www.thespec.com/news/business...pment-proposal

The site plan will see a relatively solid streetwall returned to all corners of this block. While I do have reservations about what appears to be a parking lot for Homewood Suites at the northwest corner of Main and Bay, on the whole it is a site plan well designed for urban infill, combining commercial, hotel and residential mid-rise and high-rise buildings.

The demolition stage is always unsightly and, given the history of demolition in the city, it is understandable how there may be concern for another empty lot sitting derelict for years. If you put the raw emotion aside and look at the developments objectively, it is obvious that Vrancor has put a lot of time and effort (and money) into having DCYCA develop detailed site plans for this block, and he has a concrete timeline to complete the first phase by June of 2012 (ie the Staybridge Suites).

I am approaching these developments with cautious optimism. IMO there is every indication that this not a simple razing, it is the first stage in a multi-phase redevelopment that will see several cranes in the downtown sky for the first time in a couple of decades.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 9:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
While I do have reservations about what appears to be a parking lot for Homewood Suites at the northwest corner of Main and Bay
I assume you meant southwest? I really don't like this aspect of the development, particularly as it sits kitty-corner to the city hall.

I also have yet to see a render of the Main St. facade, which leads me to believe that it's underwhelming at best. Given that LRT has yet to be entirely ruled out for Main, this would be a significant oversight.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
I assume you meant southwest? I really don't like this aspect of the development, particularly as it sits kitty-corner to the city hall.

I also have yet to see a render of the Main St. facade, which leads me to believe that it's underwhelming at best. Given that LRT has yet to be entirely ruled out for Main, this would be a significant oversight.
I had to think agin after your post as I can on occasion be directionally challenged, but it is the northwest corner of Bay and Main that I am thinking of - where the HMV car sales lot was. Which is kitty corner to City Hall.

I agree that corner as a parking lot is less than ideal. But if the rest of the development is successful it isn't likey to remain a parking lot once all other parcels are developed. Then again this city does love its parking.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:53 PM

Indeed, I am the directionally-challenged one. Guilty as charged.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:52 AM

does anyone know what happened to the federal covenant against demolishing this building?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:17 AM
Hammer'd

I'm guessing that keeping a piece of the building serves as a loophole to it.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 11:44 AM

So if I'm understanding this right: Vranich is partially-demolishing the Fed building, which will then sit there, partially-demolished for what, 1, 2, possibly 3 years, until they get around to building that particular phase???

If so, why demolish it now??? Surely it's going to be one helluva an eyesore (if not a safety issue), esp. since they've said the Staybridge Hotel is the first phase and won't be done until June 2012...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Alycia Gallagher woke up to the noise, checked Twitter, and walked over for a front row seat to the building’s demolition.

“It clearly wasn’t being used so it does need to come down,” said Gallagher, a second-year student of Willowbank School of Restoration Arts.

“It’s another vacant building in downtown Hamilton,” she added.

The reference to WSRA has been redacted, but the facepalms continue (allegedly b/c of selective quoting and absence of context):

Alycia Gallagher woke up to the noise, checked Twitter, and walked over for a front-row seat to the demolition.

“It clearly wasn’t being used, so it does need to come down … It’s another vacant building in downtown Hamilton,” said Gallagher, who lives minutes from the site.

Her concern lay with the Holbrook friezes at the building’s entrance.

“So long as some of the historical integrity of the building is saved from the federal building, then I really feel we’ve done what we can.”

Last edited by thistleclub; Aug 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully2001 View Post
So if I'm understanding this right: Vranich is partially-demolishing the Fed building, which will then sit there, partially-demolished for what, 1, 2, possibly 3 years, until they get around to building that particular phase???
That's right, there will be half a building and a pile of rubble, open to the elements, rotting away on the Hamilton's main drag. But not for 1, 2 or 3 years. 6 to 7 years is Vranich's stated timeline. By that time, the half-building will be deemed unsafe and will be ordered demolished, thereby enhancing Hamilton's rich stock of surface parking.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully2001 View Post

If so, why demolish it now??? Surely it's going to be one helluva an eyesore (if not a safety issue), esp. since they've said the Staybridge Hotel is the first phase and won't be done until June 2012...
There was an article about it recently. The project is tied together, Federal Building redevelopment and Staybridge. Same underground parking.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Here's a piece of that article.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
“When we have renderings of the completed plans, I very much look forward to sharing them,” McDiarmid wrote in an email. “Until then, our focus will be working with the city to get construction of the new Staybridge started this summer.”

Gunther Bluesz, a designer working with Vrancor on the project, said initial plans called for a joint underground parking lot between the hotel development and the federal building. This would have required the building to be totally demolished.

“At that point in time, we thought tearing it down was the best thing,” Bluesz said.

The new plan will allow Vrancor to maintain the heritage facades of the federal building while creating underground parking in the areas where the remainder of the building will be demolished.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That's right, there will be half a building and a pile of rubble, open to the elements, rotting away on the Hamilton's main drag. But not for 1, 2 or 3 years. 6 to 7 years is Vranich's stated timeline. By that time, the half-building will be deemed unsafe and will be ordered demolished, thereby enhancing Hamilton's rich stock of surface parking.
if this is true I'd wager Vranich will face a lawsuit from the federal government. Kind of redefines demolition by neglect. You can't just take down half a building and say 'we were planning to restore it' if it falls apart in the meantime as your reason why you broke your promise.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Important Message Regarding the Federal Building at 150 Main Street

Six months ago at a Planning Committee meeting a demolition permit for 150 Main (the former Federal Building) appeared as an agenda item. When I saw the agenda item in advance, I then asked the question as to what would be built in its place. The developer (Vrancor) shared with me a multi-million dollar, five-phase, six-year plan that included a condominium (or rental) project to be erected on the Main Street property.

Prior to the Planning Committee meeting, the city staff reminded us of the Dr. Elizabeth Holbrook panels (relief sculptures) attached to the façade and the importance of them in terms of our city’s architectural history and the contributions our very own Dr. Holbrook had made here and throughout the world in her lifetime.

Before the Planning Committee meeting took place, I made arrangements with the developer to commit to saving Dr. Holbrook’s works. When the planning meeting did occur, we (the Committee) were told by staff the developer was within his rights to demolish the building despite some covenants that were discovered (by Planning Committee) in his deed with the federal government upon his purchase of the building in 2004.

It was determined by Planning Committee members and city staff that the covenants were an issue to be resolved only by the developer and the federal government. After the meeting, the developer confirmed he was in conversation with the feds in relation to the deed and its covenants and that he fully intended to save the relief sculptures. His plan then was to carefully and professionally extract the works and donate them to the city for future placement in a prominent location. Now, his plan is not to demolish a portion of the south facing wall (where the sculptures have always been affixed) and to keep the entire west facing wall intact.

Earlier today (August 16, 2011) I asked you to tweet me any questions you may have for Vrancor (the developer) and I would bring them along to an afternoon meeting that I had hurriedly orchestrated in an effort to be clear on the many factors involved in this demolition.

Before I try to answer these questions (mostly tweets I was able to gather up just prior to a 2:30p sit-down with Tyler McDermid, CEO, and Gunther Bluesz, Designer) let me first provide some of my own perspectives.

I have been reassured by Vrancor that the Dr. Elizabeth Holbrook works will still be restored, but will remain in situ as originally intended in the mid-50s. Given this original intent for the sculptures, I am sure most would agree this is indeed a prominent a location.

Also, I would like to reiterate my position from six months ago regarding this project as a whole. For our beautiful Hamilton, this is a major and positive downtown transformation. The developer (who has in the last five years invested $200 million on developments outside of Hamilton) is making a local five-phase, $140 million development investment. Ten of thousands of man hours will result in this development and millions will be added to the tax base upon the completion of the five phases, not to mention the hundreds of future full-time local jobs. In addition, we (Council) did not know it then, but this precinct will also greatly complement the $80 million McMaster Family Medicine Campus.

For those in our community who understandably have issue with this demolition and question the intent of the project as it relates to 150 Main, I continue to answer that question with a question I publicly asked six months ago: Why, if this is such a grand old building, did the federal government choose to build anew just down the street on Bay North?

Now, to your questions and the answers I received this afternoon from Vrancor:

Q: Most had in inquired about the Dr. Holbrook Sculptures.
A: As stated above, it is no longer the intent of the developer to demolish that portion of the building in which the sculptures are located. In addition, the works will be restored and remain in place as originally intended when Dr. Holbrook was commissioned to do the work.

Q: What about the covenants in the deed that the feds had with Vrancor?
A: Since the demolition permit was issued, Vrancor (lawyers) and the feds have been meeting to discuss the covenants. Some days ago the demolition go-ahead was given.

Q: What about all the dust this project has created?
A: The Ministry of Environment had issued a caution this morning. Soon after, Vrancor took the necessary steps to mitigate the dust aspect of the demolition. A hosing down then began in concurrence with work in progress. The MOE did temporarily halt the work until they were satisfied.

Q: Is the whole building being demolished?
A: No. The western façade and part of the south side containing the sculptures will be incorporated into the project.

Q: How long will this take?
A: Five to six years to complete all five phases.

Q: What will be the penalty if Vrancor does not build anything in its place?
A: Vrancor’s has no intention of incurring any penalties as they are committed to this project. (I would like to note that additional surface parking lots are no longer permitted throughout the core and the company has already begun to prepare the site at 68 George for first phase development, a six-story Staybridge Hotel; the Staybridge being their first priority).

Q: How the hell will the sculptures be collected from rubble?
A: Addressed above.

Q: Why the change of heart?
A: Vrancor has made a conscious design decision to maintain the west wall and a front portion of the building, seeing value in those aspects.

Q: Drawings?
A: Vrancor will issue a press release (including drawings) in the next few weeks.

This last question was for me:

Q: How many more precious buildings will you allow to be unnecessarily demolished in our core?
A: We have hundreds of heritage- designated buildings in our core. I will support preservation and assist, where warranted, in any adaptive re-use or restorative efforts (St. Mark’s news hopefully coming soon). 150 Main was not designated and the Building Department issued the permit without any alteration of the rules.

Yes, the Federal Building may have made one heck of a unique condo or office conversion, but it was not the owner’s intention to fully restore it. Costs were no doubt the major hurdle (my opinion).

This is a $140 million major and positive downtown transformation that will bring hundreds of jobs and bring millions to our tax base once completed.

Vibrancy is making a big comeback in our downtown, especially in these tough economic times. This is one example.

http://www.jasonfarr.com/community-initiatives

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:41 PM

Thanks Jason for the update.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:16 PM
Concerned Citizen

As of this morning demolition has resumed. The Spec article is basically yesterdays news.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton