HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

250 West 55th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 9:10 PM

This is the best I could do while riding my bike up 8th Ave with my friends iPhone. You can clearly see the crane. Unfortunately, the really interesting stuff was blocked by trees, but on the left you can see the outline of some steel that rises two stories, right above the parked cars. All the steel is new since the last time I went by the site so this seems to be moving along nicely, and since the foundation was completed to street level this should rise relatively quickly.

This is not an ideal first photo I've uploaded to SSP, hopefully someone with a better camera can swing by the site, but they are making some serious progress here. Can we get the title changed to U/C from ON HOLD?

Last edited by yankeesfan1000; Sep 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:05 AM
NYC to LA

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 9:58 PM
NYC to LA

This tower is a box, but it will have awesome facade..Expect some great reflections..It will be high as Hearst Tower and top floors will have some decent Central Park views..It will be also almost full visible from Hudson River and west Manhattan..

http://www.som.com/content.cfm/250_west_55th_street

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 11:02 PM

Does this glass pattern kind of remind you of the facade of the original Twin Towers. Even if it's a bit.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 12:57 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Does this glass pattern kind of remind you of the facade of the original Twin Towers. Even if it's a bit.
No, that's because it looks nothing like it.

The good news is, if it comes out like the renders, this may be the best tower under construction in NYC right now. Well, this or the Gem tower.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 1:59 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
No, that's because it looks nothing like it.

The good news is, if it comes out like the renders, this may be the best tower under construction in NYC right now. Well, this or the Gem tower.
Yeah, I'm not sure where people are drawing that conclusion...

Loving the tower.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 7:28 AM
NYC to LA

People used to hate this tower because they only have seen model of it..Gray, dark, boxy model..But no one knows that this tower will have shiny blue reflective facade, white cladding on the street level..And the geometry is just perfect..Design is boxy on purpose, not because of lack of inspiration..It's going to be great..

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:55 PM
Paramoderator

This is the classiest tower going up... anywhere. I love this hardcore.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:38 PM

Ugh, those renders are just awesome BDV. This tower is being so incredibly slept on. Love this thing, welcome addition to Midtown.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
If anything, it makes me think of a Ludwig Mies van der Rohe style facade with lots of glass.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 3:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dino Vabec View Post
People used to hate this tower because they only have seen model of it..Gray, dark, boxy model..But no one knows that this tower will have shiny blue reflective facade,..
We've seen the renders before, but I've always loved this building for its design. It brings a different character to Eighth Avenue. The thing about the glass is that it though it remains to be seen just how nice it really is, it won't hurt the design of this tower either way.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 11:15 PM

My article on 250 W55th,

http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...west-55th.html

Quote:
Dominated by the Time Warner Center and the Hearst Building, the neighborhood already has a heavy office presence, although that's to be expected anywhere in Midtown. 250 West 55th's immediate vicinity is undergoing very significant changes though, as the new Marriot hotels are going to be rising on the same block but on the side facing Broadway rather than 8th Avenue.
Photo I took today--looks like the only changes have been that the "stands" for the cranes have been finished.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 11:23 PM

meh it looks okay. The only thing that will save this is the nice looking glass. hopefully that cladding turns out like the renderings. But Ill hold back any more judgement till its finished. Is this project about to restart soon?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 8:44 PM

It hasn't stopped

Since they resumed work, they have been constantly on the move. In fact, the central office tower has started being erected and should top out in three months. That will be followed by another two years of work to finish the job.

In the meantime, some people may want to look at the following:

The Architecture & Design Film Festival (www.adfilmfest.com), now in its third year, returns to Tribeca Cinemas (54 Varick Street), October 19-23, 2011 with a fascinating lineup of more than 30 films from 12 countries. The festival celebrates the creative spirit that drives architecture and design.

The website has an interesting list of films.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 9:20 PM

Topping out in 3 months would be 3 floors a week or so. That seems a little ambitious... I could see them cresting 2 floors a week, but even that's 5 months away...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 9:46 PM

Roldan I share you skepticism, especially with the NY winter approaching when construction really slows down. Still spring next year is not very far away, and should be fun to see this C57, and 1751 Bway start to make impacts on the skyline next year.

Also can we get a title change??

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:56 PM

250 W 55th St Progress

Hi There,

I signed up to this forum to show my 250 W 55th St photos to you guys.

Here is one from the North

I'll keep posting images to the side Picturing the Americas. So if you like to see an update, checkout this page.

Inge

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:16 AM

Awesome update courtesy of 600West218, originally posted on SSC. This and the hotel on 54th and Bway are so close you can clearly see the other sites cranes in some of these.

600West218

600West218

600West218

600West218

600West218

600West218

600West218

600West218

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 1:32 AM

I think this updates a removal of the "ON HOLD" status... looks like full steam ahead to me. If they do the curtain wall right, this tower could be great filler with a subtle neo-modernist aesthetic.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 2:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.rew-online.com/2011/10/27...-avenue-tower/

Boston Properties pushes full steam ahead on 8th Avenue tower

October 27, 2011
by Daniel Geiger

Quote:
The economy has been showing mixed signs of recovery and recent third quarter leasing statistics appear to indicate that the uncertainty could be leeching into the Manhattan office market. But Boston Properties feels confident that its big bet on midtown’s West Side will pay dividends in the next few years. The company, among the city’s largest commercial landlords and owner of a high-end collection of trophy office buildings, continues to proceed with its development of a new one milliion s/f skyscraper at 250 West 55th Street.

Selsam described a package of amenities, technology and infrastructure at the building that is hard to find in a city where most office properties are decades old. According to Selsam, 250 West 55th Street will have many of the bells and whistles that have been incorporated in other new buildings like One Bryant Park and 11 Times Square, but that its combination of features would also make it unique.

For instance, 250 West 55th Street 14-foot slab-to-slab height between floors allows for ten foot ceilings. In addition, it has tightly spaced mullions on its facade. The combination of structural features allows more windowed offices – a must for the law firm tenants the building is designed to attract – to be clustered along a floor’s perimeter.

Designed by the architecture firm SOM, 250 West 55th Street echoes some of the city’s most iconic office buildings. The tower rises from a low-rise pedestal of larger base floors that will cater to users who need bigger floor plates, a nod to Park Avenue’s Lever House. Gensler, one of the city’s most notable office space designers, drafted plans for 250 West 55th’s interiors.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive