HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 11:02 PM

Trying to upload a PNG image

hey all, I'm trying for the first time to upload a diagram, BUT I'm having some difficulty. I have the file saved as a PNG file, but when I click submit, I am getting an error referring to GIF 1:1. I have tried to changed my pics to GIF, but have terrible colour issues once I do (still just kickin' it in MS Paint), any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 12:19 AM
I am a typical

Download Irfanview. It will convert the image to a gif without any image losses.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:05 AM

right on, thanks vid

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 6:39 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Hey Faz, your drawings are great, but I had to remove them (except for one) because you need to make the backgrounds transparent.

Any insight how this is done in irfanview Vid?

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 11:17 PM

hey, yes; I was wondering how to do that, since I'm only using paint, I thought having a pure white background would do the trick, I noticed when it was in pending that this was not the case.
Any help would be great.
also, thanks! I was really pleased with the dominion building

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 1:03 AM
Website Manager

Make the background bright green (RGB: 000-255-000) as explained here - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191177

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 1:50 AM
I am a typical

You can make the background transparent by making it that bright green (or any colour that doesn't appear in the building itself), and then selecting "save as transparent" in the save as gif dialog box.

Typically, I I leave the background white (RGB 255 255 255), since there will be no pure white parts of the building, and I select that. That makes re-sizing easier (if you draw at a larger scale), as re-sizing with a green background will cause pixels on the edge of the building to turn greenish or pinkish. (I always used magenta, RGB 255 0 255)

A couple other tips:

Always make back-up copies of your diagrams before re-sizing. I often made back ups periodically while drawing so that I could go back to an earlier version if I didn't like where I was going with it.

If the proportions aren't correct, you can resize it with different ratios for width and height. The example I used above was scaled 40% wide and 50% high. Irfanview offers multiple sampling options for re-sizing:

I am referring to the highlighted sections here; Press ctrl+r (image>resize/resample) to see this dialog

Here is another tip to make more realistic diagrams:

1. SAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL BEFORE DOING THIS. It will make your diagram very difficult to alter after the fact.

2. Open the full-size diagram if you're drawing at a scale greater than 1 pixel per meter. (I often drew at 2 pixels per meter.)

3. Press "ctrl+e" (the image>effects dialog), and go to sharpen.

4. Move the slider around until you like what you see (if you go too high it looks absurd; err on the low size), and then hit apply. If you don't like it, hit ctrl+z immediately to undo it.

5. After saving the original file, re-open it in paint and paint anything you want to be transparent using RGB 0-255-0 green.

6. Follow the re-sizing to transparent gif steps above.

The sharper feature adds texture to the diagram, making it look less like 16 colour pixel art and more like an actual diagram of a real building. This works better with concrete surfaces than with glass surfaces. If you apply this technique to your London Insurance Building, it would probably look better.

Another feature is to use textures in a photo editor (like photoshop, gimp, or Paint.NET, which is what I use), but you might not be that far along yet. You can use that to make windows shine, and to add more realistic shadowing to corners in the diagram. In some of my later diagrams, I made the whole building the same colour (even though it was two faces), and simply put a transparent grey shape over the wall that wasn't lit by the sun. For night time diagrams, I used a transparent blue over the whole diagram in addition to the transparent black, and then added yellow over the windows that I wanted to light up. You can add up-lighting and other features.

You don't have to try these now, but it is something to think about for the future as you get better at diagrams.

And you will get better. I didn't think I could ever do this when I first joined the site:

My first and last. I should start drawing again. Just keep drawing, and don't be afraid to experiment. But remember to save backups. I am emphasizing that based on my own experience with a few diagrams.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 1:34 AM

thanks very much for all your help guys. I'm looking forward to posting some more diagrams. annnd yes Vid you should start drawing again.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 2:44 AM

hey guys, I did both the infranview steps for transparent background AND the 000-255-000 switch on the green, and when I view them on the pending approval, it still comes up as green. Help? please? :S

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 8:54 PM
Website Manager

I took your drawing into Photoshop to check the color of green and it has an RGB value of 004-254-004 so if you are indeed giving it a value of 000-255-000 then perhaps the graphics program you are using is changing the shade of green slightly when you save as GIF. Seems strange gut it could be possible.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams