HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 10:46 PM

Do they just charge Teslas though, or can you charge any electric vehicle (other brands) at them?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Do they just charge Teslas though, or can you charge any electric vehicle (other brands) at them?
Just Teslas at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 2:29 PM

Tweets from @Mattatthespec about the city allowing housing to be built at malls

"We're talking about this motion now. Basically, it a motion to encourage malls to pursue residential projects, since #HamOnt has already changed the rules to allow it."

"Latest release from @FredEisenberger re: new housing at malls. Looks aimed at growing concerns about what online shopping is doing to Lime Ridge Mall, ie biggest taxpayer in #HamOnt"

I've long thought putting up apartments on some of the Limeridge parking lots would be a great idea. No well organized Durand or Corktown neighbourhood associations to deal with, although some Mountain residents can be even crazier.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:38 PM

Cadillac Fairview owns the property next to Jiffy Lube, where McDonalds use to be. A good spot for a condo.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 7:00 PM

I love Hamilton city hall actually thinks this is somehow a groundbreaking idea. lol...it's been happening for decades in North America

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea. But like most good ideas, we're decades late.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 7:25 PM

Already Happening

Lime Ridge Mall publicly submitted their intent to redevelop in October, and received site specific permissions to do mixed-use. (This is tied up as part of the OPA 69 appeal at the OMB)

Eastgate Square publicly submitted their intent during the Centennial Secondary Plan process. Their permissions are officially tied up as part of an appeal of this Secondary Plan, but that appeal is about a Starbucks Drive-Thru at Nash & Queenston and should be settled in the near future)

Mountain Plaza Mall has already submitted a planning application for two six storey residential buildings as Phase I of their redevelopment.
(Note: the file was in the initial staff comments phase when I pulled it in Feb, and I'm planning to pull it mid-May when more details are available)

Mayor Eisenberger was recently briefed that all of this was happening, and moved his motion to get ahead of the credit for what is already happening.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 7:30 PM

CF & RioCan seem to be doing this to a lot of their mall properties. Good on them for reworking the sites! I saw a similar proposal for the Galleria Mall in Toronto which is looking to build some mid rise buildings and a tower in the parking lot of the mall, as well as a renovations to the mall to help add more entrances connecting it better to the new development.

Can't wait to see what they have in store! This area is ripe for some intensification.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 2:56 AM

giant mall properties, way far away from single family homes would be ideal spots for mid rise and high-rise development. We could add a lot of units on these massive sites.
But it's Hamilton...the anti-development, pro-stagnation capital of Canada. A few entitled home-owners will whine and cry and their councillors will make sure nothing over 6 or 8 stories is built.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 3:50 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
giant mall properties, way far away from single family homes would be ideal spots for mid rise and high-rise development. We could add a lot of units on these massive sites.
But it's Hamilton...the anti-development, pro-stagnation capital of Canada. A few entitled home-owners will whine and cry and their councillors will make sure nothing over 6 or 8 stories is built.
You do realize that every single mall and major shopping plaza in the city of Hamilton except for Jackson Square is surrounded by single family homes.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
You do realize that every single mall and major shopping plaza in the city of Hamilton except for Jackson Square is surrounded by single family homes.
This is Sherway Gardens in. Toronto. Note the 4 highrises, built over the last 5 years. Many people in modern cities have no problems with density, and like being close to shopping and transit. Except in Hamilton. https://goo.gl/maps/y4dSjNUwFjM2

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:34 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
This is Sherway Gardens in. Toronto. Note the 4 highrises, built over the last 5 years. Many people in modern cities have no problems with density, and like being close to shopping and transit. Except in Hamilton. https://goo.gl/maps/y4dSjNUwFjM2
I was just replying to his statement that there aren't many single family homes near malls. I think it's would be a great idea to build either condo's or apartments on these massive parking lots and I have no problem with density. I would love to see a line of high rise buildings along Upper Wentworth in front of Limeridge Mall, preferably with ground floor commercial outlets.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:25 PM

The whole south end parking lots at CF LR would be a great spot for high density housing. think they mostly serve as a place to pile snow. Incorporate the old gas station, MacDonalds sites, and part of Limeridge Road splitting them from mall parking lot, could be very compelling for returns.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Look at the size of these properties. You could build 50 storey buildings in the centre area of the properties and never cast a shadow onto any 'nearby' neighbourhoods.

I'm not suggesting building high-rises right along the fence line at the far eastern side of Limeridge Mall (the only spot where homes abut the entire property).

The rest of that site, and Eastgate, and Power Centres and Mtn Plaza are huge sites, very suitable for proper urban developments. Hillybilly Hamiltonians need to get over the fact that single homes can't be the way we build 100% of our housing.

Do this at all mall sites:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cana...over-1.4173250

https://goo.gl/images/xpE2WE

https://goo.gl/images/7VSbdJ

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 11:24 PM

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:07 PM

That's pretty much like a power centre setup, but I don't know why I was expecting otherwise. At least there's no parking between them and two of them are contiguous. So basically things like Moxie's, Outback or whatever. I'm sure they'll do OK business and there's less parking spots so that's something, I guess.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:48 PM

Rooftop patios on the restaurants at the parking garage. These will be huge if so. My vote is for a Cheesecake Factory.... We also need a Panera Bread.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Rooftop patios on the restaurants at the parking garage. These will be huge if so. My vote is for a Cheesecake Factory.... We also need a Panera Bread.
Ditto on Panera Bread. Would love to have one in Hamilton.

This is an exciting time for Lime Ridge. Should be an interesting 3-5 years up there.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 5:01 PM

They really shouldn't ignore the residential component to this ....more people means more business

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:57 AM

I hope that the redevelopment of the Lime Ridge Mall property will include either a Playdium or Rec Room.

Hopefully, they'll also see fit to have 2 of the new buildings in that plan house a CIBC and Royal Bank as well...neither of those banks are in the Lime Ridge area.

=P

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 9:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lime Ridge Mall proposes massive makeover

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...sive-makeover/

It's one of the most ambitious makeovers at a Hamilton mall in quite some time.

Cadillac Fairview has submitted an application to the city's planning department that calls for a multimillion-dollar redevelopment of Cadillac Fairview Lime Ridge Mall, on Upper Wentworth, that includes 12 new buildings and nearly 200,000 square feet of new retail and commercial space.

The application was submitted on April 17.

According to the application, the former two-storey Sears department store on the north side of the mall will be torn down.

It will be replaced by more than 60,000 square feet of new retail space split between three units on two floors.

The plan also calls for five new restaurant buildings ranging in size from 6,000 to 7,500 square feet.

Three of those buildings are slated to go up on the west side of the mall facing Upper Wentworth.

The two other restaurants will be located on the top floor of a proposed 500-vehicle, two-storey parking garage that will go up next to the two-storey building on the former Sears section, and the plans call for both eateries to have outdoor patios.

In addition, Cadillac Fairview is looking to add another two-storey building with more than 65,000 square feet of retail space over three units next to the office building, which is currently home to radio stations K-Lite and TSN 1150.

There is no word on when the project might move forward.

City planner Melanie Schneider said the application has been put on hold pending more information from Cadillac Fairview.

Meanwhile, the company is not offering any more details on the proposal.

"At this time we are not able to comment any further," said Cadillac Fairview spokesperson Anna Ng.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues