HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:28 AM
I am a typical

Are they making separate Mac's Favourites packaging for that area? Because it's all been Circle K Favourites for like a year now. Might want to check the date on those Jalapeno chips...

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:40 AM

Ughhh Circle K.

Couche-Tard are up there with Bombardier and the NHL on the ' basically -Canadian-but-also-largely-international companies with horrible executives' list for me.

Bring back the owl!

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 11:46 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Damn.....I wish I checked, but I doubt it was expired, it looked pretty good when I saw it. I won't be in St. Mary's (to see family) for a while, hopefully the next time I come the Mac's is still there.

Has anyone noticed there are more Circle K's in some areas by the way? I've been in MissingSausage a few days ago and saw they're popping up more in gas stations.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:58 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's like that here too, all the in-store branding is Circle K (even the uniforms the employees wear) but the signs outside say Mac's. We have one store that was always a Circle K, but it doesn't have signs at all, and it has a Shell instead of an Esso station built into it. (Our Mac's locations with gas bars have Esso branded gas, not sure if that's normal or just a peculiarity here.)
I've never seen a Mac's attached to a gas station in general.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 7:31 PM
I am a typical

I can find 4 for Thunder Bay:

Mac's branded; Esso branded, former 7/11; Brand new Esso branded location that replaced a Petro Canada, and this was formerly a Spur/Husky.

Going "back in time", this one had a Husky gas bar until a few years ago, and I think was originally a Spur store. This one had a Mac's branded gas bar and was formerly a 7/11. This one was also a 7/11 with a gas bar, it's now a strip mall. (This location closed after an employee was nearly killed while defending a carton of cigarettes from a robber.)

There might be a couple others. About half of this city's gas stations have closed in the past decade, there's no money in it here because the margins are too small and the insurance for convenience stores is very expensive due to all of the injuries caused by employees trying to be heroes. One of the gas bar Mac's had an employee injured during a robbery, but they just spent a tonne of money rebuilding it about 5 years ago so I don't think it will close but might end up as something else. The stores can't keep owners, the one near me changes ownership about twice a year. It's an absolutely shitty investment from what I've heard from the people running them.

The owner of the Canadian Tire gas stations is loaded though. He doesn't own the stores themselves, just the gas stations, which are on separate properties and simply "near" Canadian Tire stores. Everyone else I've met who owns a gas station though says it's a shitty investment that makes almost no money.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:52 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I always liked Saint John's logo

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post

NB Cities do pretty well on branding. I kind of wish Freddy had a full-on logo beyond the wordmark, but it still works well.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:22 PM

Hold up, SJ is great. Freddy is decent. But do you think they did pretty well with Moncton's? I think most people earlier in this thread considered it to be pretty bad.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
It is definitely nice. Have visited UWO multiple times to see sister and cousins. And at work I have to pay some London property tax bills. And a few months ago I got a parking ticket in the mail from London even though I hadn't been since 2012. Turns out it was a typo from the ticketing officer.

I wanted to do a Middlesex County collection since I know a few people here are from London. But they have some dumb directional names for some towns like so many others due to amalgamation so I lost my interest. But maybe I will at some point.

Alas...

Very pretty. London is on the Thames, but is not defined by the river. It's a proper city. Nothing wrong with adding water into a logo, particularly for a smaller place that relies on it. I just don't like when it dominates the logo or they do it in the same cliched way as others. And especially if they over represent the beauty or magnitude of the water.
Thanks for putting up the London logo. It`s simply and attractive and portrays well the city`s reputation of `The Forest City`.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:39 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Designed by Design by Georges Huel and Pierre-Yves for the 1976 Olympics:

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
It is a good logo.

Moncton's logo is blah.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

pretty terrible turd of a beaver, if you ask me, despite the rainbow sash.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Moncton's looks like some stylized triskelion.

wookiepeida

or maybe it is a maritime 45 rpm adapter.

45rpm
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
pretty terrible turd of a beaver, if you ask me, despite the rainbow sash.
I remember from my very early elementary school years that that beaver was called Amik.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

As you’re probably aware, there is a lesbian bar on Queen West called “The Beaver”. That should be their logo.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:17 PM
I am a typical

Apparently this has been the logo for the town of Fort Frances for nearly 5 years and I'm only just seeing it now:

Makes me think they sell winter jackets or skis or something.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 6:21 PM

Cool logo.

Went for a massage to utilize my benefits and the RMT was saying she's from Fort Frances and still goes back a couple of times a year. First time I had ever heard of this place.

Also turns out we went to same school at same time and happened to be in same residence first year, separated by only two floors.

She also worked at another clinic in North York, which my company happens to have the mortgage on. And she lives in a building like two blocks away from where I used to live as a kid.

Small world.

Too bad she's not downtown anymore because she's one of the better RMTs I've had.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 9:12 PM
I am a typical

I met a few people from Fort Frances and Atikokan at the hospitals in Hamilton. The two between them had nearly 20,000 people in the 1980s, and that's collapsed to barely 10,000 today, so there are a lots of people from Rainy River district but not many left living there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:17 PM

Worst Restaurant Logo:

Best fast food restaurant logo:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:29 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay just released its 50th anniversary branding:

https://www.thunderbay.ca/en/city-ha...sary-logo.aspx

The symbolism behind it is good but it maybe could have been executed a little better. Good enough for us tho. Follow the link for explanations on the local landmarks featured in it if you want to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada