HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
In retrospect, I think it's a good thing that none of the previous 1601 Vine proposals ever went through, since this looks much better than any of those.

The one thing that really confuses me though, is why the south side of the residential tower's podium is wrapped with townhouses. Generally, I think it's a great idea in terms of creating a nicely-scaled streetscape, but I can't imagine that many people would want their front door to face the Vine St Expressway.
One day when Vine Street Expressway is covered with a park, those townhouses will be very desirable

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
In retrospect, I think it's a good thing that none of the previous 1601 Vine proposals ever went through, since this looks much better than any of those.

The one thing that really confuses me though, is why the south side of the residential tower's podium is wrapped with townhouses. Generally, I think it's a great idea in terms of creating a nicely-scaled streetscape, but I can't imagine that many people would want their front door to face the Vine St Expressway.
I'm inclined to agree, but I'm not sure what would be a better fit for the base along Vine Street. I can't imagine they would want to put the retail there since it's not exactly conducive to a lot of foot traffic. From the CDR package it looks like all of the town homes that "front" Vine street have an entrance on the Motor court. I'm guessing they have some serious soundproofing on the Vine Street side and are just marketed prominently Motor Court entrance.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:13 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:26 PM

Article from PlanPhilly about the CDR process

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...ic-art-details

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:37 PM

This is such a huge project. Those two parking lots are going to be filled and go a long way to connect Franklintown to Center City. The architecture of the Temple really blends with the court house and provides a visual transition to the rest of the complex and the apartment tower. I also appreciate the balls of putting row homes on Vine Street. The easy thing to do would have been to put the garage entrance on Vine Street with a triple wide curb cut.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
This is such a huge project. Those two parking lots are going to be filled and go a long way to connect Franklintown to Center City. The architecture of the Temple really blends with the court house and provides a visual transition to the rest of the complex and the apartment tower. I also appreciate the balls of putting row homes on Vine Street. The easy thing to do would have been to put the garage entrance on Vine Street with a triple wide curb cut.
its definitely good to see two parking lots on vine be filled in a matter of 2-3 years. There is no reason to have surface parking lots like this so close to the core. Its also nice to have a decent sized skyscraper north of Vine street. I take it financing wont be an issue with this project so it will probably start soon.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
its definitely good to see two parking lots on vine be filled in a matter of 2-3 years. There is no reason to have surface parking lots like this so close to the core. Its also nice to have a decent sized skyscraper north of Vine street. I take it financing wont be an issue with this project so it will probably start soon.
This is by far my favorite project in the city right now, and I'm even including the CITC. Not only is a skyscraper popping up north of Vine, but the classical design of the building could make it look like it's been there all along, really bridging Logan Square and Center City.

And replacing two surface lots? I don't get your ways, Mormons, but I like how you do business.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
This is by far my favorite project in the city right now, and I'm even including the CITC. Not only is a skyscraper popping up north of Vine, but the classical design of the building could make it look like it's been there all along, really bridging Logan Square and Center City.

And replacing two surface lots? I don't get your ways, Mormons, but I like how you do business.
expect for this design to be ravaged by Inga within next few weeks. Stern is involved and she judges projects by the architect and she isn't a fan of his work generally. She also is against any new building that tries to look "traditional" or uses brick in the facade.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:16 PM

Quote:
This is by far my favorite project in the city right now, and I'm even including the CITC.
I might agree with that. Though I do like may of the U-City projects. Especially Lancaster Square and FMC. CITC is great but it may be my 4th or 5th favorite. Oh, what a time to be alive!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4983 View Post
I might agree with that. Though I do like may of the U-City projects. Especially Lancaster Square and FMC. CITC is great but it may be my 4th or 5th favorite. Oh, what a time to be alive!
I think this and CTIC are pretty high on my list because they are filling in blocks that are long overdue for development. This design is just OK for me, but its definitely WAY better than 1900 arch. In fact I like it a bit better than 38th and chestnut and 3601 market apt towers.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:25 PM

Another article from PhillyLiving.com about the CDR review of this tower

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/201...house-project/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
filling in blocks that are long overdue for development.
I'm just happy this seems to be occurring in many areas as of late.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:31 PM

Quote:

For many of these reasons, I actually am perhaps most excited about the SLS Tower. Differences being instead of North of Vine, SLS will bring significant height South of Spruce; it'll replace derelict buildings and empty lots on our grandest boulevard; it'll be almost 600 feet (200+ feet taller than this building) and will really add depth to the skyline. Still, lots of cool projects on the horizon.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
For many of these reasons, I actually am perhaps most excited about the SLS Tower. Differences being instead of North of Vine, SLS will bring significant height South of Spruce; it'll replace derelict buildings and empty lots on our grandest boulevard; it'll be almost 600 feet (200+ feet taller than this building) and will really add depth to the skyline. Still, lots of cool projects on the horizon.
that is a critical development as well. extending the A of the Arts farther south and putting something significant at a major intersection. All of this stuff is good news and long overdue. Let's hope the filling in of lots spreads east of broad towards 8th and market eventually.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:45 PM

Truck on site doing some drilling. Samples maybe?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhattersLT View Post
Truck on site doing some drilling. Samples maybe?
Probably soil samples! Exciting!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 7:20 PM

Good to hear! Mark my words there will be a lot of construction to look forward for at least 5 years. Because once one building is done, another one is half way.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Good to hear! Mark my words there will be a lot of construction to look forward for at least 5 years. Because once one building is done, another one is half way.
Agreed! There is so much to look forward to! Not only a Supertall and a 700 footer and everything under construction now, but there is a ton coming down the pipeline:

SLS
W Hotel
One Water Street
205 Race
Rodin Square (Dalian at Fairmount)
2100 Hamilton
Museum Towers II
1601 Vine
New Penn Towers
New CHOP Towers
One Riverside
Edgewater II
East Market
Riverwalk

There is so much going on it is getting hard to keep track of!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 10:39 PM

sorry, coming late to the party. I love the look of this tower, and looking fwd to its construction.

After seeing that last image in the first post of this thread, it reminded me of the Klyde Warren Park that Dallas (or rather, a local TIF) got built just a couple years ago to cover their downtown/uptown separating highway canyon... wouldn't it be awesome (and high time, now!) to cover up the Vine St Expressway and add a nice new park around there? That can spur on even more development north of Vine, and fill in the gaps south of it up to the Convention Center.

Dallas' uptown/Harwood/Victory Park district just across from Woodall Rodgers Freeway from downtown is booming and this park was used as a good way to connect the two areas.

http://fortyfivenorthband.com/wordpr...erial-View.png

check out more pics:

https://www.google.com/search?q=klyd...w=1024&bih=473

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 12:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Agreed! There is so much to look forward to! Not only a Supertall and a 700 footer and everything under construction now, but there is a ton coming down the pipeline:

SLS
W Hotel
One Water Street
205 Race
Rodin Square (Dalian at Fairmount)
2100 Hamilton
Museum Towers II
1601 Vine
New Penn Towers
New CHOP Towers
One Riverside
Edgewater II
East Market
Riverwalk

There is so much going on it is getting hard to keep track of!
Good problem to have.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive