HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:21 PM
Urbanite by Choice

Yes - we need a little color in this city. This looks very futuristic. If it's built - I'd like to see backlighting - that would look really awesome @ night.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
A white version of the bridge my friend Chris did.
Ahem... reflection. Just kidding - better than I'd do. Cool adaptation. I think I still prefer the red though, personally.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hypnotized

Nice looking. Waste of money.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigStuff View Post
Yes - we need a little color in this city. This looks very futuristic. If it's built - I'd like to see backlighting - that would look really awesome @ night.
I don't think there is any question about whether it will be built or not.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 11:50 PM
Scraper Fan

I love the red... it will provide great contrast to the surrounding area. I can't wait to take some pictures in the winter with the red bridge contrasting with the white snow.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 12:31 AM

I'm curious about how they will build it also. I'm pretty sure they won't jack it out from one end, they will probably just have to assemble a few modules using a crane at each end and maybe a barge or something in the river.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 12:40 AM
Dr Morgan, AME

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
dont take this the wrong way, but you sound like your a strong member of the NIMBY group that doesn't want bars DT but yet you complain about DT being vacant at night.

I don't think you can afford to be so picky, if you want more people to come to DT at all hours. Wait until it's always packed at the very least, then start picking on groups, [note i don't believe in government having this power to begin with]
Bars? Who said anything about bars?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 1:45 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I much prefer the red over the white. Like the man said, a white bridge during our winters just disappears. This baby will sparkle!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:06 AM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I was on the fence about this one, but that thing looks ridiculous.

It looks like a giant chinese finger trap,

Edit: Fury beat me to it.
haha! Some guy at work said that this morning.
I don't mind it actually. I think we could've built two more simple bridges with the same amount of money, but I guess it'll probably increase tourism. It looks cool from the inside, but from a distance it looks a little bit weird. I'll make up my mind when I finally get to ride my bike across it a year from now.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:57 AM
Criminal Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker_mw View Post
The bridge itself really is quite striking - both technically and aesthetically.

I do feel that the approaches on either side could use some work to make it feel more integrated as well as improving flow. The exits right now seem like they will cause numerous bottlenecks as cyclists and pedestrians combine - I would think one would want a taper in and out of the bridge and the circle area on the South side is just asking for trouble. Going beyond function, it would be nice if the colouring and structural elements were to flow out into the pathways on either sides, perhaps helical brick patterns with red & white tones or something similar. Having such a visually striking structure flow out onto bare asphalt seems like a really poor choice. Right now it feels like it is a foreign object sitting on top of the landscape rather than becoming part of it.

All in all very nice though.
It's nice to see some positives and some negatives about this design. I think that's the great thing about good architecture... it's supposed to cause some commotion... and stir up a little controversy.. regardless of design, this project was marked by many citizens off the get go.. but that aside, I think this design, based on the criteria the City gave Calatrava... is a success.

For the most part, this design is the original design. There was some discussion and some ideas thrown in with regards to height, arch, layout etc. But this was the cleanest way to go without making it look overdone. People have to appreciate this design for it's simplicity sometimes... and admire it for it's complexities at the same time.

The only thing I think should get re-worked (and it doesnt have anything to do with the bridge) is to go with the original landscaping plan at the entrances... I was told the paths were done on purpose to create a direct entrance.. but I've seen some original concepts where the paths to the bridge "swoop" or "flow" into the bridge like an offramp... this is more direct.. more like an intersection.. you either turn onto the bridge or continue going. Perhaps there needs to be a mini plaza/entry feature/gathering space on the Memorial Dr side of the river.. perhaps this was the whole plan.. just to make this bridge fit in without causing a stir... many cities have reception areas for their landmarks... we'll just pretend and party like it doesnt phase us...

One thing though... I'm a little curious of the clearance under the bridge.. it looks deceptive from the renderings, but it looks rather low..

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:10 AM
Round Head

^I think they should swoop in to the entrance too.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:10 AM

A good structural solution, but why do we need the glass & how are they going to clean the bird shit from the upper surfaces? Maybe when it blows the budget they will drop the glass!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:14 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibrain View Post
One thing though... I'm a little curious of the clearance under the bridge.. it looks deceptive from the renderings, but it looks rather low..
Maybe they could suspend a net from it to catch the drunk assholes on inflatable hippos before they hit the weir.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:45 AM

They will probably put those wires on the top to keep Pigeons off.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:53 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Maybe they could suspend a net from it to catch the drunk assholes on inflatable hippos before they hit the weir.
Well, hopefully the weir upgrades will be done before this opens so no real need to catch them ... better yet would be to mount water canons on the bridge ... you know, in honour of our peace keepers ... and use them to at least wake up the drunks.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
It's really aligns with 7th street on the south side and 8th street on the north side. 7th street at the north side would be a bridge from Prince's Island.
Yes, that is exactly what was proposed 3 years ago, a bridge from 7th NW to Prince's Island. At some point the plans changed to the current location, and I'm curious why that change was made.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:25 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Well, hopefully the weir upgrades will be done before this opens so no real need to catch them ... better yet would be to mount water canons on the bridge ... you know, in honour of our peace keepers ... and use them to at least wake up the drunks.
Well, the weir upgrades won't be done before the bridge if the bridge is done in 2010. The weir upgrades will be complete in spring 2011.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
As an iron ringer myself, the first thought I had when I saw this bridge - as I do whenever I see any bridge proposal - is wonder "How will the fourth year Civies at UoC will hang a VW off the span?"
I envision a VW on a raft with a giant coat hanger like hook welded on to the roof. Float it downstream after a storm when the river levels are high, hook it on to the bridge, then watch it become suspended higher and higher over the river, as the water levels drop.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:53 AM

With the low clearance, the floating houses from upstream during the 1 in 100 flood will get hung up on the bridge and it will be a real piece bridge!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:59 AM
Criminal Mastermind

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip198114#clip198114

after watching the video rendering again, I think it's a pretty neat bridge... it's very graceful just sitting on each bank without any chunky bases or anchors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates