HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 3:02 PM

No,
They're just doing the freight tunnel.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 9:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biophilic View Post
No,
They're just doing the freight tunnel.
has that been confirmed? all that tom reported was that drill rigs showed up yesterday and started drilling, but no one has said anything as to whether they're drilling for foundation caissons or to fill any old freight unnels that may lie below the site. no one has confirmed what exactly it is they're drilling for. can you confirm that the current drilling is only for the freight tunnel situation?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 10:29 PM

From what I can tell they've drilled two holes at either end of the site. . . if I were to speculate I would guess that it has to do with the frieght tunnels. . .

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 10:46 PM
BANNED

What ends of the site are they at? If you can tell us approximately where they are then we can see if they line up with where the tunnel runs under the site, then we would know for sure that they are just filling the tunnel. We have a map of where the tunnel goes so we can tell if they are drilling into it or not.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 1:09 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
From what I can tell they've drilled two holes at either end of the site. . . if I were to speculate I would guess that it has to do with the frieght tunnels. . .
yep, just two holes at specific ends of the site does sound like tunnel work and not official U/C.

oh well, this one is just a matter of time. maybe we'll all get a nice christmas present as december rolls on.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 2:21 AM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah if they've started grouting the tunnels then they must be getting close to starting the Cassions, so hopefully we will get an early or slightly belated Christmas present!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 2:32 AM
Chicago

December 7, 2006

^ This hole is located just south of the fire station towards the northwest corner of the site. I took the picture from Columbus. I wonder how deep it is. It doesn't look very safe. Hopefully no one wanders down there at night.

^ Current location of the equipment.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 4:05 AM

^You 'da man!!!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Gotta love the 1 construction cone guarding the hole to hell.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 4:32 AM

^hehe. . .

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 4:53 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
^ This hole is located just south of the fire station towards the northwest corner of the site. I took the picture from Columbus. I wonder how deep it is. It doesn't look very safe. Hopefully no one wanders down there at night.
When I left work at 5 or so there was a metal grate over the opening. I took a picture, but because of the lighting, or lack of, it didn't really come out.

SSDD

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 7:59 PM

Aqua Penthouses

From the Chicago Trib:

A collection of penthouse residences has been added to the top two floors of Aqua at Lakeshore East, offering views of Lake Michigan, the Chicago River, and Millennium and Grant Parks.

The grouping includes five duplex units and one-single level design. They range from 2,364 to 3,869 square feet and are pre-construction priced from $1.9 million to $2.9 million.

Entrance to each penthouse will be on the 80th floor. The duplexes will have interior elevators from the living area on the main floor to the bedroom level on the second floor.

Designed by architect Jeanne Gang of Studio Gang Architects, Aqua will blend condominium residences, rental units and hotel and retail spaces.

Magellan Development Group is the developer of Lakeshore East.

The building's terraces offer three-dimensional designs up to 64 feet long with up to 675 square feet of usable space. Its 264 condominiums on floors 53 through 81 offer a mix of studios, convertibles, and one-, two- and three-bedroom residences in 26 floor plans. They range from 573 to 1,982 square feet and are priced from $360,000.

An 80,000-square-foot deck will have gardens, gazebos, pools and cabanas, hot tubs, a walking trail, fire pit and grills. Indoors, 27,500-square-foot amenity floors will provide fitness facilities, a lap pool, a spa with hot tubs, sauna, steam and massage room, a private party suite with catering kitchen, coffee bar and lounge, media room, billiards and game area, business center, Internet cafe, library and concierge services.

Aqua's sales center, 375 E. Wacker Dr., is open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.

For information, visit www.lakeshoreeast.com/AQUA or call 312-540-9891.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 10:27 PM
BANNED

This is a nice addition to what I consider a boom in Chi-Town.

Last edited by BINARY SYSTEM; Dec 10, 2006 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 2:15 AM

The sales center says that Aqua is 75% sold. Do you still think there is a question whether this baby will get built?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 2:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcity1 View Post
The sales center says that Aqua is 75% sold. Do you still think there is a question whether this baby will get built?
No, Aqua is garunteed to be built at this point. It is practically under construction already, note the above pictures. The Cassions/foundation work should be starting within the next couple weeks, within a month for sure.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 3:00 AM

Are these left in place for the pour? I have never actually watched. I'm sure this has been answered before on here, but I haen't seen it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 3:57 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
This is a nice addition to what I consider a boom in Chi-Town.
This is an awesome addition to the Boom.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 4:01 AM

This is my second favorite new building going up in chicago rite now (300 n lasalle is first) is anything new happening here or should i come back later?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 5:49 PM

I’ve been to the sales office recently and have a number of interesting tidbits to report. Of the most interesting is that the construction company has finished the creation of a schedule/timeline for the entire project. As that schedule stands today and per email to the sales team, the project is scheduled to complete in or around December of 2009. That said and I was cautioned about the full meaning of the information, schedules are often modified during a project and it should be expected that the completion date could fall on either side or head on.
As example, I was told that one of their other projects was running two months ahead of schedule with residents now residing in the first lower 15 floors.
For those interested in purchasing a unit, I would expect a price increase in the very near future. Sales representatives told me that they felt an overall price increase would be coming shortly after or on the start of construction. This made good sense to me in that the status of the project would at that time leave the drawing board and begin taking place in real life.
Also of interest, I was told that penthouse sales took off quiet earnestly. I believe that I was told that six of the units have been sold already. Only the two top floors contain penthouse units and they range in size from around 2364 square feet to just over 3869 square feet.
Most oddly, Magellan Realty keeps an online posting of many of the units for sale at Aqua up to date on their own website. I found the link while investigating all the many details of the Lakeshore East website.

http://www.magellansells.com/properties.php?catID=2

This link contains unit identification, pricing, floor plans and other interesting details. As best I can tell it is also kept fairly current. My only confusion about the listing is that it does not contain all the units currently available and why that is, is a mystery to me.
Another interesting point regards anticipated future value of the units being sold. I recently got a glimpse of one of their property reports and found that the property in question had an estimated closing value (a 2009/2010 value) 116% of the sale value. From an investment perspective, this is a rather phenomenal investment, but there are some rather strong caveats. If you fail to close (ie. fail to get financing), you lose your earnest monies. Once you do close, you may not sell the unit for a period of one year. That said, such restrictions are not dissimilar to other projects and in good keeping with the development of a strong neighborhood not full of empty units purchased by investors trying to roll over property.
Most interesting to me in regards to this project is that Aqua is supposed to provide an extension of the pedway. While parts of the pedway are just long corridors with little or no commercial presence, even disconnected elements such as what exists under the Blue Cross/Blue Shield building, all of the pedway up to Aqua is provisioned with extensive commercial infrastructure, although not all of it currently under contract. The retail elements of Aqua are currently planned and extensive. I was told that Bed, Bath & Beyond had made a commitment to a large retail space in the mall beneath Aqua and that two smaller tenants were also committed. What I could not resolve with sales was how the pedway would be extended to provide access to these tenants (a completely indoor mall like environment as currently exists throughout the pedway or some less desirable corridor solution simply providing a means of access to the store frontage along the interior of the Lakeshore East park). I am hopeful of a full mall experience as I expect commercial interest in the pedway to increase radically by 2010 with the addition of nearly 5000 families to Lakeshore East. In the heart of winter, residents will find the extensive malls throughout the pedway an incredible winter retreat and businesses will likely move to a full seven day service schedule to accommodate.
Also of interest to the overall surroundings of Aqua involves some smaller projects that will compliment the entire neighborhood. The entire LakeShore East mall (which includes the Treasure Island food store) and all of the Park Homes located on the SE corner of the park are expected to deliver by the end of 2007, per the sales team. That seemed a rather fast construction schedule so I would not rule out a misunderstanding on my part, but nevertheless, soon. There is no status on the K-8th grade per the sales team. As regards Aqua and Lakeshore East, this development is a family magnet and I would assume a key value central to sales at Aqua as well as all the developments at LE.
Hope this info is of interest and with a few conjectures of my own, hope to spark of few conversations going forward. I expect great things ahead happening soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive