HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 11:57 AM

I've checked more into this and the Sears space is indeed owned by Cadillac Fairview and not by Sears Canada anymore. Sears is now the lessee, this means that if Sears goes bankrupt, decamp or is forced out, the space could "easily" be replaced by another tenant. I have no clue to what are the terms of that lease and as we saw with Target Canada, there is nothing "easy" when it comes to bankruptcies. In any event, a miracle could happen and a turnaround might come, it's unlikely but who knows?

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 16, 2017 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:18 PM

That's actually a positive development imo. When Sears goes, whether next month or next decade, one of the world's great retail property owners will have much less trouble finding the right fit for a replacement.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

reposted from the Dieppe thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Heard today that the Sobey's planned for Dieppe blvd/Yvonne area is a go for this summer.
Interesting.

If I may be allowed to loosely associate for a minute, and put on my conspiratorial blinders, I would like to propose the following sequence of events.

1) - new Sobeys for Dieppe Blvd.
2) - this brings into play the old speculation regarding the future of the Champlain Place Sobeys.
3) - rumours are starting to ramp up about a possible Forever 21 at Champlain Place.
4) - there are no spots at Champlain Place big enough for F21 unless.......
5) - could the stars be aligning for F21 to replace Sobeys at Champlain Place.

Hmmmmmm.............

After all, Champlain Place is a "fashion mall". Does a grocery store belong at a fashion mall............

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
reposted from the Dieppe thread:

Interesting.

If I may be allowed to loosely associate for a minute, and put on my conspiratorial blinders, I would like to propose the following sequence of events.

1) - new Sobeys for Dieppe Blvd.
2) - this brings into play the old speculation regarding the future of the Champlain Place Sobeys.
3) - rumours are starting to ramp up about a possible Forever 21 at Champlain Place.
4) - there are no spots at Champlain Place big enough for F21 unless.......
5) - could the stars be aligning for F21 to replace Sobeys at Champlain Place.

Hmmmmmm.............

After all, Champlain Place is a "fashion mall". Does a grocery store belong at a fashion mall............
Isn't the Sobeys space much too large for F21?

I also never understood why Sobeys would close their Champlain location because of a new store on Dieppe Blvd. Seems like there is enough distance between the too for one not to have a significant effect on the other, especially considering that the Coop will be closing. There is enough population in uptown and southern Dieppe to support a major grocery store without cannibalizing business downtown.

Come to think of it, I think the rumors of the Champlain Sobeys closing were before the company's take-over of the Dieppe Coop.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 4:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Isn't the Sobeys space much too large for F21?
Probably, but they wouldn't have to use the entire space for F21. It could be combined with a larger redevelopment/repurposing of the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I also never understood why Sobeys would close their Champlain location because of a new store on Dieppe Blvd. Seems like there is enough distance between the too for one not to have a significant effect on the other, especially considering that the Coop will be closing. There is enough population in uptown and southern Dieppe to support a major grocery store without cannibalizing business downtown.
Downtown Dieppe needs a Sobeys, no question but I have always been confused why there is a second Sobeys (Regis Street) quite literally next door. The Regis Street store could fulfill this purpose.

Also, the Champlain Place Sobeys still has not been renovated. It's the only store in the metro area not to have been renovated or rebuilt. One has to wonder why this is? If Sobeys were really committed to Champlain Place, I would have thought renovations would have been done by now........

In any event, I'm only having some fun. I profess no inside knowledge, and like I said, I'm putting on my conspiratorial glasses here..........

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 12:32 AM

Benjamin Moore Paint

A new Benjamin Moore Paint Store is moving into the old Express Auto at 1528 Mountain Road. This is next to Wonder Tire.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I believe this might be a relocation. There's an existing Benjamin Moore store on Plaza Blvd in the same little strip mall as Vinh's Wok.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:24 AM

So 2 paint shops across from each other. Sherwin-Williams Paints located pretty much across the street in the little plaza with Klozet, Sequoia, Trinity Dental & Goji's.

How the heck do people drive out of Express Auto and Wonder Tire if they want to head West onto Mt-Rd? Nightmare!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 12:01 PM

From the Retail Talk, and Share on Facebook

Forever 21 and Aritzia starting to look for staff in Moncton...!

So back to: where is Forever 21 going?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 12:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
From the Retail Talk, and Share on Facebook

Forever 21 and Aritzia starting to look for staff in Moncton...!

So back to: where is Forever 21 going?
I think this is an "old" rumour from a couple of weeks ago, completely unsubstantiated. I just checked on Retail Talk & Share and I don't see any recent posts regarding this.

I won't believe it until I see an actual job listing on line...........

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just heard on CBC radio.

The CEO of Sears in the States just admitted there is "significant doubt" that the retailer will be able to continue operating.

And this is the company that Brian Gallant just threw millions of dollars at for a couple of call centres in Saint John and Edmundston...........

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:29 PM

I want my taxes back!!! That's what I said when I heard our provincial government gave millions to Sears Canada a couple of months ago. This is completely ridiculous, how can the government be so stupid when this province is having trouble making ends meet. This is not recent news or fake news, Sears is in so much trouble it's not even funny, they haven't made a profit since 2011. I'm as furious as you MonctonRad.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This was the head of Sears in the US that was quoted by CBC. Sears Canada is in better shape, but if the US branch of Sears goes down the drain, I imagine Sears Canada will follow suit pretty quickly..........

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I want my taxes back!!! That's what I said when I heard our provincial government gave millions to Sears Canada a couple of months ago. This is completely ridiculous, how can the government be so stupid when this province is having trouble making ends meet. This is not recent news or fake news, Sears is in so much trouble it's not even funny, they haven't made a profit since 2011. I'm as furious as you MonctonRad.
Sears USA and Sears Canada are different entities.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This was the head of Sears in the US that was quoted by CBC. Sears Canada is in better shape, but if the US branch of Sears goes down the drain, I imagine Sears Canada will follow suit pretty quickly..........
Look at how long F.W.Woolworth lasted after it defunct in the US, and UK as well. Although you would probably have to take into account the different times we are living in. But I don't see one automatically shutting it's doors just because the other has.

Also I looked into the F21, and you are partly right it was posted earlier, and the one I seen was a re-post based on a fake Kijiji Job posting from what I've been told by the original poster who deleted there post after realizing the error.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:22 PM

Honestly, were I Sears Canada and if Sears Canada had any sort of outlook that might make it live past the death of Sears USA... I'd be looking to change the name of the company to unshackle from the Sears US "legacy".

Effectively, that's what happened to Radio Shack up here; it rebranded as the Source, and where Radio Shack in the States is going for its 2nd or 3rd bankruptcy; the Source has been doing fairly well up here (all things considered).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Look at how long F.W.Woolworth lasted after it defunct in the US, and UK as well. Although you would probably have to take into account the different times we are living in. But I don't see one automatically shutting it's doors just because the other has.

Also I looked into the F21, and you are partly right it was posted earlier, and the one I seen was a re-post based on a fake Kijiji Job posting from what I've been told by the original poster who deleted there post after realizing the error.
F.W. Woolworth Co. is actually still a company, just they changed their name. In 1974, they opened Footlocker as a subsidiary. By the late 90's it was its highest performing division. After they sold most of their Wolco stores in 1994, they changed their name to Venator Group in 1997, and then again to Foot Locker Inc. in 2001.

In my opinion Sears had an opportunity to do this with Craftsman and Kenmore. They could have sold all their stores and become a consumer brand, but they sold Craftsman instead.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Sears USA and Sears Canada are different entities.
I know that, but the fact of the matter is, both of them are in deep s***, to put it mildly. Saying that Sears Canada is doing better than Sears USA is not saying much. That's the reality, they are both retail icons heading to the retail graveyard. The only thing that will survive from its relics are the Kenmore and Craftsman brands.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:08 PM

Sunrise Records has confirmed it will open a store in Dieppe's CF Champlain Place.
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...674/?nopromo=1

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Honestly, were I Sears Canada and if Sears Canada had any sort of outlook that might make it live past the death of Sears USA... I'd be looking to change the name of the company to unshackle from the Sears US "legacy".

Effectively, that's what happened to Radio Shack up here; it rebranded as the Source, and where Radio Shack in the States is going for its 2nd or 3rd bankruptcy; the Source has been doing fairly well up here (all things considered).
I think they still own the Simpsons they could always re-brand to that if they think about it. Unless they lost There ownership of the name.

Quote:
Originally posted by josh_cat_eyes F.W. Woolworth Co. is actually still a company, just they changed their name. In 1974, they opened Footlocker as a subsidiary. By the late 90's it was its highest performing division. After they sold most of their Wolco stores in 1994, they changed their name to Venator Group in 1997, and then again to Foot Locker Inc. in 2001.

In my opinion Sears had an opportunity to do this with Craftsman and Kenmore. They could have sold all their stores and become a consumer brand, but they sold Craftsman instead.
I knew that the relatives had open different companies The Bargain! Shop, Kinney, Foot Locker, Northern Reflections, Northern Getaway, Northern Traditions, Silk & Satin and Randy River. But I din't think they ran it under the FW Woolworth name at any time. It's good to know. I thought Walmart Had purchased to soon Defunct Woolworth/Woolco Company, and all Stores in 1994 not just the stores.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces