HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 8:18 PM
Como Providencia Ninguna

I would have liked far more to see the Twin towers rebuilt again, as symbol would have been more significant than simple elegant but void pools.

Te difference in the message is from "We'll never forget" to "Forever we'll stand", the first message is full of sadness, and the second message is full of hope, the First message is represented by void pools, and the second message would have be the rebuilding of twins ase they were.
frustra vigilat, qui custodit eam.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 12:30 AM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge_Carrillo View Post
I would have liked far more to see the Twin towers rebuilt again, as symbol would have been more significant than simple elegant but void pools.

Te difference in the message is from "We'll never forget" to "Forever we'll stand", the first message is full of sadness, and the second message is full of hope, the First message is represented by void pools, and the second message would have be the rebuilding of twins ase they were.
Just look across the street at the 4 new supertalls then, WTC 1,2,3, and 4.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 1:28 AM
Como Providencia Ninguna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
It should have been something like this. Just two identical towers. No complication sh*t that they have been throwing at each other for 9 years. What a mess.
I fully agree
frustra vigilat, qui custodit eam.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge_Carrillo View Post

Wait, let me get this straight. There will be four supertall towers here, one of which measuring to a height equal to that of the founding date of our nation. How is that not "Forever we'll stand"?

Come back after you've seen the completed complex with your own eyes before you make comments like this.

It.

Will.

Be.

Stunning.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:52 PM
New Yorker for life

http://bigthink.com/ideas/21037

There's Not Enough "Vision" at Ground Zero

Paul Goldberger
Architecture Critic, The New Yorker
July 26, 2010

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://bigthink.com/ideas/21037

There's Not Enough "Vision" at Ground Zero

Paul Goldberger
Architecture Critic, The New Yorker
July 26, 2010
umm i would generally agree that the freedom tower could have used a couple of more months in design. though i'll give it a ten out of ten but it could have been an eleven. generally the site as a whole is spectacular.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:51 PM
Don't tear anything down.

I do really wish this design would have been implemented:

I really like the whole Statue of Liberty-esque motif, and as it is now, the symmetry of the one being built is a bit disappointing. Not that symmetry isn't wonderful on buildings - look what it did to the ESB or the Chrysler - but since you're going to have this monolithic-type structure in that it doesn't have any approach to the top, it just stops, it would have been much nicer with the spire thing coming out of it on one end. But that's just me. The whole thing was quite a mess, and I'm just glad it's finally being built in some form.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post
I do really wish this design would have been implemented:

I really like the whole Statue of Liberty-esque motif, and as it is now, the symmetry of the one being built is a bit disappointing. Not that symmetry isn't wonderful on buildings - look what it did to the ESB or the Chrysler - but since you're going to have this monolithic-type structure in that it doesn't have any approach to the top, it just stops, it would have been much nicer with the spire thing coming out of it on one end. But that's just me. The whole thing was quite a mess, and I'm just glad it's finally being built in some form.
that one makes me cringe no offence, i like the current plan

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
umm i would generally agree that the freedom tower could have used a couple of more months in design. though i'll give it a ten out of ten but it could have been an eleven. generally the site as a whole is spectacular.
Thats funny because 1 WTC is the only building to me that actually stands out as a good, solid design. Towers 2 3 and 4 strike me just bland and uninspired filler towers. Of course, with 1's simple design, the cladding will totally make or destroy it. Given the quality of cladding and glass these days in NYC, I reserve my jubilation, but I do hold out hope that we could actually build one great tower again.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo_ View Post
Thats funny because 1 WTC is the only building to me that actually stands out as a good, solid design. Towers 2 3 and 4 strike me just bland and uninspired filler towers. Of course, with 1's simple design, the cladding will totally make or destroy it. Given the quality of cladding and glass these days in NYC, I reserve my jubilation, but I do hold out hope that we could actually build one great tower again.
well i actually love towers 2 and 3 though i love towers 1 and 4 equally though for different reasons. and heres the glass,its the most beautiful ive ever seen.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...reedom-650.jpg

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
well i actually love towers 2 and 3 though i love towers 1 and 4 equally though for different reasons. and heres the glass,its the most beautiful ive ever seen.
I've seen that image and I'm not to fond of the layout of the panels along the diagonal. It also worries me that there is a lack of detail, just the flat panel facade that plagues this city. You can see in buildings like the Shard in London what a truly deep facade looks like: multiple layers interacting to form a skin. There isn't much depth here aside from the faint demarcation of floor plates. In a structure based on a refreshing simplicity I wonder if a simple facade will fast become boring.

However, the transparency and reflectivity of the glass has reached a nice balance, but a mock-up is not going to capture what it really looks like on 1400 ft of building. For that we must wait.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 7:59 PM
The Man

Quote:
I disagree completely. 1 WTC is a good design, but I love 2 WTC. I think 2 WTC is clearly the best looking, most inspired tower at the site and I hope the financing can be pulled together to build it exactly as designed.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 9:10 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
You can see in buildings like the Shard in London what a truly deep facade looks like: multiple layers interacting to form a skin.
First off, I love the glass on the Shard. Like you said, it has it's own skin of multiple layers which makes the building look greattt!

But I don't think the "layered skin" would look good for the FT. The design is just too simple, unlike the shard which has metal and glass hanging from left to right. The FT will look good, and it won't look like the endless sea of glass in NY because the glass has much better quality. Plus I don't think adding more details/layers would be too economical to this already expensive project.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 9:15 PM

Quote:
and whats wrong with cladding in NYC,i think our new buildings are gorgeous.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 2:35 AM

^^^^ Those were some pretty interesting (and strange) design proposals. Oddly, I never saw a majority of those until just now.

I went through a lengthy phase of being disappointed that the WTC site would not be rebuilt as it was before, but at some point I came to accept the elegance of the new WTC as it is being built today. In any case, design renderings are very weak compared to the experience of eventually seeing the finished building. Within a decade it will be commonly accepted as a normal part of Manhattan's skyline.

Nevertheless, there was a simple and powerful elegance that the old WTC towers had, and I do hope that one day their design will be replicated somewhere once again. Even if they are never built again, they will remain special to all of us.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
^^^^ Those were some pretty interesting (and strange) design proposals. Oddly, I never saw a majority of those until just now.

I went through a lengthy phase of being disappointed that the WTC site would not be rebuilt as it was before, but at some point I came to accept the elegance of the new WTC as it is being built today. In any case, design renderings are very weak compared to the experience of eventually seeing the finished building. Within a decade it will be commonly accepted as a normal part of Manhattan's skyline.

Nevertheless, there was a simple and powerful elegance that the old WTC towers had, and I do hope that one day their design will be replicated somewhere once again. Even if they are never built again, they will remain special to all of us.
ya same here i was very upset until about the beginning of 2009 that the original WTC wasnt gonna be built but i fell in love with the new complex through tower 2,it just captivated me and won my heart instantly. today i actually couldnt be happier about the sites future and im proud that my city has been able to produce such unique designs. but i cant wait to see this tower on postcards and NSNBC and FOX News's weather reports and skyline shots. as for the old WTC theres a sticker i saw in LM that said it all for me...."Forever the towers because dreams dont die." the twins will always be with us a part of New York in some way or form so ive learned to live with that,knowing that they'll always b apart of us keeps me sleeping at night.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Each one of those weird proposals is fugly, and most are retarded to the nth degree (For example, what's the economic rationale for the fugly framework with a pseudopod connecting the two towers 3/4 the way up? Fugly!!)

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Each one of those weird proposals is fugly, and most are retarded to the nth degree (For example, what's the economic rationale for the fugly framework with a pseudopod connecting the two towers 3/4 the way up? Fugly!!)
My favorite (that is, in a love-to-hate kind of way), was that one with all the crazy legs going all over the place. What the shitz was that?
Also, the Yosemite Monolith thing? Was that a proposal to place a small mountain in the middle of Manhattan?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 7:49 AM

Personally I liked the SOM design. It would have made the best addition to the skyline especially if they made some more diversity with the building heights of the different parts.

Something like this…

(sorry for the bad quality but I just put it together in PowerPoint )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture