HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:23 AM

Would San Diego be a consideration ? It has the million plus metro area, it's coastal, and on an international boarder ...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:15 AM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTown Giant View Post
Would San Diego be a consideration ? It has the million plus metro area, it's coastal, and on an international boarder ...
San Diego would be a very strong contender in many areas, but shares the same negatives as LA...high cost of living/taxes, west coast location, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon go to a smaller, faster growing city like Charlotte, Austin, etc,etc.

Last edited by spoonman; Sep 8, 2017 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTown Giant View Post
Has the trolley lines (not as extensive as LA though), developable land to build the headquarters in downtown, the international airport is 3 miles from downtown, proximity to Mexico, the population and workforce, less traffic

Would be great but I honestly see it going to a Texas city, Chicago, or Miami

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:07 PM

I'm really digging those sidewalks. Hopefully they last a while before cars destroy them.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...cid=spartandhp

Amazon is looking to build a new "Secondary headquarters" But i assume that LA is automatically taken out of the running? Hell any city in California is taken out of the running. The Ceo has a certain criteria for what city/region he wants and LA meets ALL of them except one. "Business Friendly Environment"....Now its no surprise that California as a whole has a meh reltationship with big businesses with High taxes and regulations but is it still that bad that Amazon would skip passed LA and California in general ? even though we meet alll the other criterias?... 50,000 "High Paying Jobs" will come to whatever city/region is picked. I would love to see an Amazon HQ somewhere along the river in downtown.

Bezos put up a big tiff with California when we demanded Amazon pay the state sales taxes. He cut off all California affiliates. We accused them of exploitation. There's bad blood.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
LA's chances are virtually nil, although it's certainly worth a shot. Always the bridesmaid, but never the bride.
Judging from recent unexpected "wins"(Lucas museum/Olympics), sometimes the groom leaves the bride for the bridesmaid.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Bezos put up a big tiff with California when we demanded Amazon pay the state sales taxes. He cut off all California affiliates. We accused them of exploitation. There's bad blood.
In business (and politics where huge amounts of money are involved), everything is negotiable...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:05 PM

discussing Amazon setting up a major location in LA, much less dtla, reminds me of talking about the look and details of a possible 105 story bldg going up in dt. Or what everyone will buy when they win the $200 million lotto.

Right now, it would be nice....& long overdue.....if more businesses already in LA would at least move from west la, century city or silicon bch to dt. Or from hoods even farther away, in the valley, glendale or the OC.

Quote:
Downtown Los Angeles Reborn: Exploring (and Tasting) the 'Center of Everything'

Once desolate and dangerous, striking district has been revitalized as thriving cultural center with booming food, nightlife scene

By David Amsden

There was a time, not long ago, when Downtown Los Angeles was a place to avoid, the rotting core of a famously centerless city. With its mirrored glass skyscrapers and historic Art Deco apartment buildings laid out in a dense grid, the neighborhood may have looked more like a conventional city than the rest of L.A.'s notorious sprawl. But for much of the past century, it languished in a state of suspended animation: those apartment buildings vacant and crumbling, those streets a desolate moonscape once the sun went down. You ended up Downtown because of work, because you got off the wrong exit on the freeway, or because you were actively searching for trouble. Skid Row, after all, was its best-known pocket.

Riding through the neighborhood today, however, offered an ideal vantage for me to bear witness to its stunning revival, as this once forgotten and forlorn precinct has been transformed into one of the city's most vibrant destinations, complete with its own catchy nickname: DTLA.

The evolutionary narrative is familiar. First came the influx of pioneering artists and filmmakers and nebulous bohemians beginning in the 1990s, drawn to the romance of living both cheaply and off the radar. Then came the developers a decade later, lured by less restrictive laws when it came to repurposing old buildings. The result is a cultural hub of galleries, museums, fashion houses, tech companies, luxury lofts and, arguably, the city's most compelling food scene.

As Downtown's taken off, the area has begun to attract a number of the city's high-end chefs. Two years ago, inside a deconsecrated cathedral once known for its underground raves, chef Neal Fraser opened Redbird, a lavish restaurant complete with its own herb garden and trout farm. "If you told me I'd be opening a place down here ten years ago I probably would have laughed in your face," says Fraser, an L.A. native with visceral recall of the days when Downtown meant police in riot hear and helicopters buzzing overhead. "But L.A. is all about reinvention."

In a city that is also all about driving, Downtown provides the option for a novel activity: walking around and seeing what the night brings.

Abandoning the bike, I sped the night spontaneously bopping in and out of bars, some of the best, like Crane's Downtown, hidden away in seemingly anonymous office buildings. I end my evening at the Varnish, an intimate, wood-walled speakeasy tucked into the back of Coles, a historic restaurant that invented the French Dip. Opened in 2009, it brought the cocktail movement to L.A. and remains one of the city’s premiere spots for expertly made drinks.

"People used to come here because we had the cool factor of being out of the way," says manager Max Seaman as he mixes a frothy gin concoction. "Now they come because we're in the center of everything."

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
judging from recent unexpected "wins"(lucas museum/olympics), sometimes the groom leaves the bride for the bridesmaid.
hello!!!!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:25 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Judging from recent unexpected "wins"(Lucas museum/Olympics), sometimes the groom leaves the bride for the bridesmaid.
Those wins weren't that unexpected when you look at how little competition there was for both, especially the Olympics. The key difference here is that everybody wants Amazon; pretty much every large and mid-sized city is going to submit a proposal.

Plenty of other cities will offer more incentives and benefits than LA will. If Amazon's to come to LA, it'll be because Bezos wants LA. I guess our biggest selling point is that we're the best place for the company to grow their content business. Netflix has a significant chunk (like 20%) of its employees based in LA.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:16 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
What's your justification for ranking LA #2? We have a high cost of living, a business-unfriendly climate, terrible traffic, and limited quality transit infrastructure.

There's a thread dedicated to this very topic in the City Discussions sub-forum; no one has even mentioned LA as a possibility... but Miami, Memphis, and Milwaukee have been. Think about that for a second.

In the end, LA doesn't absolutely NEED this... but it would definitely take a lot of the sting out of having lost so many corporate headquarters throughout the years.
LA has a massive workforce, with great universities and a lot of top talent. LAX is probably America's best airport. We're more urban and have better transit than all but 4-6 other cities. We have a lot of urban land that can be redeveloped.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Those wins weren't that unexpected when you look at how little competition there was for both, especially the Olympics. The key difference here is that everybody wants Amazon; pretty much every large and mid-sized city is going to submit a proposal.

Plenty of other cities will offer more incentives and benefits than LA will. If Amazon's to come to LA, it'll be because Bezos wants LA. I guess our biggest selling point is that we're the best place for the company to grow their content business. Netflix has a significant chunk (like 20%) of its employees based in LA.

They were completely unexpected when you consider LA’s outlook before the race even began. where in both case, LA had little serious consideration before competition heated up. Lucas had his heart on SF & Chi, going back a couple of times. With the Olympics, LA didn’t even get chosen by the US. In both cases, LA shouldn’t have happened.

Although my post hasn’t much to do with Amazon. LA just seems so unlikely when it comes to business grabs. More in lines with the nature of how LA often “wins” big things in very unpredictable ways.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:35 PM

Took a trip to city hall today. The skyline is slowly getting there.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:42 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
They were completely unexpected when you consider LA’s outlook before the race even began. where in both case, LA had little serious consideration before competition heated up. Lucas had his heart on SF & Chi, going back a couple of times. With the Olympics, LA didn’t even get chosen by the US. In both cases, LA shouldn’t have happened.

Although my post hasn’t much to do with Amazon. LA just seems so unlikely when it comes to business grabs. More in lines with the nature of how LA often “wins” big things in very unpredictable ways.
But in the case of the Lucas Museum and Olympics, there's a logical roadmap to how LA got to those "unexpected wins." For instance, Disney owns the rights to the Star Wars franchise and USC is Lucas' alma mater. And LA is always an Olympic contender based on its existing facilities and established legacy as a host city.

There's really nothing about LA that makes sense for Amazon, other than the Hollywood connection and what it could mean for its content business.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 12:03 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Yesterday I said that the best locations for Amazon would be El Segundo and Torrance. Having thought about it some more, ROW DTLA makes so much more sense given the ginormous scale of that complex, its ability to accommodate even more commercial space down the line, and in general just everything that's happening in the Arts District right now.

One can dream.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
There's really nothing about LA that makes sense for Amazon, other than the Hollywood connection and what it could mean for its content business.
Yes there is. Other than what I already mentioned, LA also has the best port and a terrific freight rail system, plus it is just a really desirable place to live.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 12:19 AM

I’d have to disagree with you on that too. Nothing about it was logical. LA IS logical and makes good sense in both cases, but the outcome wasn’t logical nor conventional, and especially not expected. A lot of it had to do with the happenstance of situations beyond LA’s control. (Lucas getting fed up with the politics, Boston dropping out, international cities dropping out, the unprecedented awarding of 2028 without a formal bidding competition).

I think a case can be made that LA does make sense for Amazon, as well as make a case that it’s still very unlikely to happen.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 12:28 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Fair enough. I really want this for our city (who wouldn't?), but at the same time I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Repeatedly telling myself that it's a long shot is my way of keeping myself in check. And while I said that LA doesn't absolutely *need* Amazon, it kind of does to alter the narrative that big companies don't want to stay here. We're not talking about 500 or 5,000, but 50,000 highly-skilled workers. If that number isn't BS, then that's more than enough to make up for the loss of Northrop Grumman, Occidental Petroleum, Fluor, Computer Sciences, DaVita, Jacobs Engineering, Toyota USA, Nestle USA, Hilton, etc.

Irvine is also reportedly putting together a proposal (who isn't at this point?). I guess we have two chances.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 12:41 AM

Everyone wants to know why Amazon needs a 2nd headquarters, which just defies the very definition. Is this a nice way of breaking up with Seattle and setting up elsewhere? Is it upspeak for something that’s simply a satellite location or distribution center? Or is it a very ambitious branching off into a new market with their Whole Foods acquistion or other (tech, entertainment content etc)?

Too many questions and not much revealed to know who the real contenders are. Either way, we definitely know LA doesn’t have a habit of stealing away companies, so much as having companies being stolen away. (Except recently sports teams).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations