HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:54 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Apparently they were consulted on the seat/bowl configuration. Basically the design of the stands, but to what detail I'm not sure. Could just be the general layout. Maybe someone can provide some better insight.
HOK did no work on the current stadium...

the fact that the budget went from $114 to $140 to $190 to $210 is very much due to the inexperience of the designer in my opinion....forgetting all the errors, the scope of the project changed as the client tailored it to their needs....an experienced stadium designer would have been able to anticipate those things early on......much of the money spent was the education of the architect in this building type....it boggles my mind that anyone could think they could do a project of this type on their own....

Last edited by trueviking; Apr 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:57 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Yeah, this is fairly well known. I mean, I don't begrudge people looking for an angle; it's his business, he can do what he wants.
I'm pretty sure its against the professional architect association's bylaws to stamp drawings that you didn't oversee.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I'm pretty sure its against the professional architect association's bylaws to stamp drawings that you didn't oversee.
That may be true, but those by-laws need to be enforced by somebody. There are projects done all over this city - big and small - that are being drafted by a tech and stamped by an architect.

As long as there are architects in this city prepared to take money in exchange for a stamp, those by-laws are going to be flouted...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:49 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
That may be true, but those by-laws need to be enforced by somebody. There are projects done all over this city - big and small - that are being drafted by a tech and stamped by an architect.

As long as there are architects in this city prepared to take money in exchange for a stamp, those by-laws are going to be flouted...
I agree.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 1:22 PM

Quote:

The Manitoba Association of Architects is an "Old Boys Club" and I have never heard of them suspending an architect ever. They just give out awards and pat each other on the back.

Many architects are jealous of Ray Wan as I have heard it from many.

He makes millions a year for pumping out tons of condos/rentals and CRU renos in malls and other crap.

No one has the guts to put in a formal complaint.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:11 PM
surely you agree with me

Last edited by trueviking; Apr 15, 2014 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:13 PM

Ray Wan is being sued now by WINNIPEG CONDOMINIUM CORPORATION NO. 613.

Condo on Wellington Crescent that has the U/G Parkade flooded due to incorrect design.

There was millions in damage.

Guess he did not take the time to review the design..............again.

Just show me the money and the Mercedes and the $3M cottage and the $800 alligator shoes and the custom made underwear.............................

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
Ray Wan is being sued now by WINNIPEG CONDOMINIUM CORPORATION NO. 613.

Condo on Wellington Crescent that has the U/G Parkade flooded due to incorrect design.

There was millions in damage.

Guess he did not take the time to review the design..............again.

Just show me the money and the Mercedes and the $3M cottage and the $800 alligator shoes and the custom made underwear.............................
This is all a function of build costs. When the architect is at the table asking for 7-10% of the total project and the whole project exists at a 6% return, a guy saddling up at 2.5-3% is going to take the projects. It's easier to find an architect and engineer who will take a discount right now than it is a carpenter or electrician. Shit, those trade guys are good with their hands. You don't give them their $55/hr privately, they're off to Saskatchewan and Alberta to hit the rigs at that rate with a per diem and guaranteed overtime...

It's sad but true.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:16 PM

Surpirse!

Province giving stadium $1.5M for additional work

The province has kicked in another $1.5 million to cover the cost of some additional pavement work and improvements to the concessions areas at the Investors Group Field, raising the final cost of the new stadium to $210 million.

BBB Stadium Inc., the group that managed construction of the new home for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, said today it has closed a deal with builder Stuart Olson Dominion Construction Ltd. on the final price tag.

BBB Stadium Inc. will have to pay a $50,000 deductible on its insurance policy to cover the damage

50K , well water damage deductible isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...257552351.html

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:19 AM
surely you agree with me

Shall we add the $1m per year subsidy for free busses to the construction cost? What does that add up to over the life of the building? How's that pittance the Feds gave to put it at the university looking now? Not lookin' like it was worth it.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:41 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The costs to operate the stadium are becoming unsustainable. Either more of the burden has to be shifted to the ticket holder or just shut the place down. Enough with the subsidies already.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:11 PM

^ Subsidized bus services aren't part of the stadium's operating costs. It's an inducement to ease congestion by getting people to take transit in a car-addicted city.

The free transit thing started out at the old stadium as a way to reduce drunk driving, but it seems to have taken on a life of its own to the point where Bomber fans expect free transportation. By contrast, I would estimate that many, if not the majority of fans arrive by public transit for games hosted by the following teams:

-Edmonton Oilers
-Edmonton Eskimos
-BC Lions
-Vancouver Canucks
-Calgary Flames
-Calgary Stampeders
-Toronto Maple Leafs
-Toronto Raptors
-Toronto Blue Jays
-Toronto Argonauts
-Montreal Canadiens

And none of them to my knowledge get free transit... of course, those fans all have access to rapid transit so perhaps less of an inducement is required.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:32 PM

There's been talk of being able to use public transit for free to the game if you have a TFC or Argos ticket (should they move into BMO)

I believe GO are thinking of something similar for the soccer games in Hamilton for the Pan Am Games

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:42 PM

I do not expect free transit. Right from the start, I seen alllll those buses and thought "this is ridiculous, who's paying for this?" I'd pay 10 bucks for a round trip. No way it should be free.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:33 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Subsidized bus services aren't part of the stadium's operating costs. It's an inducement to ease congestion by getting people to take transit in a car-addicted city.

I'm referring to the continually increasing costs to the taxpayer to run stadium events. And from what I understand, transit is pretty well the only way to get to games due to the lack of access to the stadium. It doesn't have anything to to with any inducements.

Transit should operate the service on a cost recovery basis which as Bomberjet suggested would be $10-15 for a round trip.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:43 PM

At some point, they should pass on the cost to the users. I get why they provided it initially. The amount of idiots not thinking about moving 30,000 people to that area and trying to drive...and not paying attention to the lack of access onto campus for cars without passes made it impossible not to provide the service.

The easiest way might be to build it into the cost of the ticket as either a service fee charged to everyone (a small fee like $1-$3) or as an add-on. For example, pay $5 ticket and receieve a stamp on your tickets that allow free transit to and from games. I dont know...something like that?

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I'm referring to the continually increasing costs to the taxpayer to run stadium events. And from what I understand, transit is pretty well the only way to get to games due to the lack of access to the stadium. It doesn't have anything to to with any inducements.

Transit should operate the service on a cost recovery basis which as Bomberjet suggested would be $10-15 for a round trip.
You can certainly drive to the stadium, it's just that you might have to park a good hike away.

As for cost recovery, I am 100% for that provided that electronic tolls get set up on every bridge and underpass in town to fairly recover those costs as well.

Why not just charge attendees the going rate for public transit, the same way that people do when they're going to a movie or to see something at the MTS Centre?

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
At some point, they should pass on the cost to the users. I get why they provided it initially. The amount of idiots not thinking about moving 30,000 people to that area and trying to drive...and not paying attention to the lack of access onto campus for cars without passes made it impossible not to provide the service.
Everyone fixates on that, but it is not the norm to have everyone drive to large sports events. Winnipeg is an exception, so now we're having a hard time tearing ourselves away from that.

Good luck finding close, cheap parking at BC Place, Commonwealth Stadium, Rogers Arena, Rexall Place, Air Canada Centre, Bell Centre, Rogers Centre, etc. The sooner Winnipeggers accept that these days, going to a football game might entail taking a bus, the less grumpy everyone will be.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Everyone fixates on that, but it is not the norm to have everyone drive to large sports events. Winnipeg is an exception, so now we're having a hard time tearing ourselves away from that.

Good luck finding close, cheap parking at BC Place, Commonwealth Stadium, Rogers Arena, Rexall Place, Air Canada Centre, Bell Centre, Rogers Centre, etc. The sooner Winnipeggers accept that these days, going to a football game might entail taking a bus, the less grumpy everyone will be.
Oh I agree with you. But we're a city of complainers. Like all those people that called into CJOB to whine about the location because it was "too far". Meanwhile, how many people went to the old Stadium that lived right in St James? You cant build a stadium in everyone's backyard.

When I went to the old Stadium or Arena, I drove. And I left 90 minutes early because I would ALWAYS sit in traffic on Kenaston. And when I left, I knew it would take me forever. Thats just what happens when that many people arrive/leave an event at the same time.

As the season progressed, many of the parking lots along Pembina Hwy were empty as people stopped driving even to Pembina to park. I knew people from out of town that took the Perimetre to The Nob and then the Park & Ride from there and raved about the service and convenience.

I might not agree when I attend an event at IGF when it's -20 to -30 but so far so good (I was at the Final Game of the season and ofcourse the weather was beautiful so no complaints (walked from Pembina).

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Shall we add the $1m per year subsidy for free busses to the construction cost? What does that add up to over the life of the building? How's that pittance the Feds gave to put it at the university looking now? Not lookin' like it was worth it.
Quite a few here were "all in" for the stadium being located at the U of M, I wasn't one of those, plain and simple the stadium should have been centrally located, I advocated for the long vacant Canada Packers/Swifts site. Lack of infrastructure, lack of parking and an unneeded presence at the U of M all make locating the stadium there now look pretty illogical!

If the Blue Bombers draw more than 28K to games at the new stadium this year I'll be surprised.

PS UnknownPoster: I'm glad the new stadium was built in a location that suits your needs, too bad the other 75% of Winnipeg citizens can't say the same!

Last edited by rrskylar; May 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan