HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'll miss that opening, it signals the arrival into Penn Station. But not enough to make me wish this project wasn't happening.
haha same here."the light at the end of the tunnel" was always the signal for me to get out of my seat and wait by the door of the train. Either way,I agree that Manhattan is no place for exposed train tracks

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 1:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc7 View Post
haha same here."the light at the end of the tunnel" was always the signal for me to get out of my seat and wait by the door of the train. Either way,I agree that Manhattan is no place for exposed train tracks
I thought I was the only one who knew that secret. But yeah, the days of exposed rails in Manhattan are coming to an end. In a city with a scarcity of land to build on, that's the way it has to and should be.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:42 AM

The first span looks ready to be lifted.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 11:26 PM

Thanks for photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

The first span looks ready to be lifted.

mmkk stated on Friday that "The first span will be installed on Sunday. The pier segments have been placed on the ends and the prestressing is under way." When were these photos taken?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
mmkk stated on Friday that "The first span will be installed on Sunday. The pier segments have been placed on the ends and the prestressing is under way." When were these photos taken?
Saturday.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 6:52 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Off SSC-- BY: thejacko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post

first girder will be set after new years.

meanwhile, support steel is starting to be erected in the train yard on the east side, called E-Yard

thejacko5 @ SSC

thejacko5 @ SSC

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 8:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quick clip taken earlier this week...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

Will cables for added support eventually go through the holes seen on the piece of the span above? or is that just how the individual pieces are fastened together?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc7 View Post
Will cables for added support eventually go through the holes seen on the piece of the span above? or is that just how the individual pieces are fastened together?
Good question. Based upon the other ILNY photos (copied below) I'd assume the entire span is tensioned with only the cables you see inserted.
I'm also guessing both segments (your selected photo & the assembled girder/plank/whatever below) are Pier (end) segments, based upon their look & the P suffix inside the segments; "3S-P1" for this one:

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 6:58 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^Check out the strand jack being used in the lower left corner.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

December 28, 2013

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 5:23 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.manhattanwestnyc.com/con...ium-38929.html

Council on Tall Buildings: New York’s New Delirium

Quote:
Rail passengers are taking their last looks at the brief flash of light they are used to receiving just after emerging from the Hudson River tunnel, and just before they dive into the bowels of Penn Station. Soon this 12-track channel will also be plunged into darkness, but it will be in exchange for Manhattan West’s 1.5-acre (0.6-hectare) landscaped public plaza, set between two 60-story towers by SOM. Unlike Hudson Yards, the tower foundations at Manhattan West are on terra firma. But in order to support the plaza between them, a highly innovative, post-tensioned, precast segmental bridge technology had to be devised to span the active rail lines below, without interrupting train movements. The platform alone is a $290 million investment, said Philip Wharton, Senior Vice President of Development for Brookfield Office Properties, the owners of Manhattan West.

The plaza represents a continuation of 32nd St. as a pedestrian walkway that stays level while the streets on either side drop to the west. If Brookfield can reach an agreement with Hudson Yards to their west, this corridor could theoretically provide an uninterrupted pedestrian pathway from Penn Station, through the future Moynihan intercity rail station, and through both mega-developments, all the way to the Hudson River and High Line.

A portion of the pedestrian corridor could pass directly through an existing building positioned over the rail yards, 450 W. 33rd St., a heavy-set concrete ziggurat that once housed both the New York Daily News printing presses and stored furniture for retailer E.J. Korvette.

While the building can structurally support and is zoned for a skyscraper, the current plan calls for re-cladding the structure and leasing to tenants in need of large floorplates, Wharton said. Including the two SOM towers, the project will comprise 6.2 million square feet (576,000 square meters) of office, residential and retail space.

Although Hudson Yards dwarfs Manhattan West in size, Wharton says the project’s ideal positioning between the High Line, which receives 3.5 million people per year, and Penn Station, which receives 600,000 travelers each day (219 million per year), will be beneficial for both developments.

“Retail and residential feed off each other,” Wharton said. “Retail wants to be near retail, and near residential. The Fairway grocery store in the [Hudson Yards] Coach building will be great for us. Office is more competitive. But for two out of the three uses, we are very happy about the complementary nature.”

The idea that the Javits Convention Center, High Line, Chelsea art-gallery district, Penn and Moynihan stations will be fused together at the double ship-knot of Hudson Yards and Manhattan West is staggering to comprehend, even in a city used to superlatives.

“It’s going to be amazing,” Wharton said. “Once this all is built out, it will be a whole other city here. There will be 25 million square feet of office space, 15,000 apartments, and maybe 150,000 to 200,000 people coming to work here each day.”

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
https://www.manhattanwestnyc.com/con...ium-38929.html

Council on Tall Buildings: New York’s New Delirium
Yeah: "The plaza represents a continuation of 32nd St. as a pedestrian walkway that stays level while the streets on either side drop to the west. If Brookfield can reach an agreement with Hudson Yards to their west, this corridor could theoretically provide an uninterrupted pedestrian pathway from Penn Station, through the future Moynihan intercity rail station, and through both mega-developments, all the way to the Hudson River and High Line."

This is consistent with the need for stairs up from 31 st to to get the MW plaza and the need for that "pedestal" w/stairs @ NE corner of 10th & 31st if the passageway/corridor goes through the south side of the AP HQ bldg.

I'm assuming the passageway gets built many years before there is aa "Moynihan intercity rail station", if that EVER happens.

According to j-biz the 1st plank for the platform has not been placed yet.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 2:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
This is consistent with the need for stairs up from 31 st to to get the MW plaza and the need for that "pedestal" w/stairs @ NE corner of 10th & 31st if the passageway/corridor goes through the south side of the AP HQ bldg.

I'm assuming the passageway gets built many years before there is aa "Moynihan intercity rail station", if that EVER happens.

That's all being taken care of.

Quote:
Recent approvals that will allow the creation of the plaza...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:31 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Curbed NY:

Manhattan West Will Have Twice As Much Open Space
Thursday, January 9, 2014, by Curbed Staff

Quote:
Hudson Yards gets the lion's share of attention on the west side, but just one block away, another megaproject is shaping up. It's been nearly a year since we heard anything about Brookfield's Manhattan West, but at a public meeting last night, the developer outlined plans for the project's public space. Brookfield wants to create nearly twice as much open space than what is required by the city, expanding it from the mandated 1.3 acres (49,400 square feet) to 2.11 acres (91,725 square feet).

The plan, approved by the Manhattan community board 4 land use committee, involves connecting 33rd and 31st Streets by a pedestrian strip through the length of the site and fattening a required plaza above the exposed rail yards between Dyre and Ninth Avenues. The plan would also add a leg of walkway in the southeast corner and a passageway from Dyre Avenue to Tenth Avenue along 31st Street. "We think it makes for a more interesting and desirable place for everyone involved," said Sabrina Kanner, Brookfield's senior vice president of design and construction.

Manhattan West will have two 65-story office towers and a 60-story residential tower a block east of the Hudson Yards project. The path over Dyre Avenue would connect the site with Brookfield's 450 West 33rd Street, a flattened pyramid-like building housing the Associated Press. Brookfield already started work on a deck over the exposed Amtrak railways but wants to expand the floor over Dyre to 450 West 33rd Street, which the company plans to start renovating this summer.

CB4 will revisit the proposal as a full board under the condition that several concerns will be addressed. The details on affordable housing at the site made the list, as well as a few concerns about the look of the public spaces.

"This is Sixth Avenue," said committee chair Jean-Daniel Noland, making a comparison to "corporate, easily maintained, pedestrian" plazas in Midtown. "Surely we could do better."

Another board member compared the planned space to Bryant Park. Indeed, renderings include a Casablanca-showing movie screen at an area designated as an event space. Another section might be used by a vendor, something the board wants a firm decision on (and made clear that a Papaya Dog probably won't do). The Joie de Vivre statue at Zuccotti Park was thrown into an image as a placeholder for a possible statue. And the space requires a set number of chairs, tables and trees, all of which would be multiplied if the proposal passes.
—Shannon Ayala

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:46 PM

Can someone give me their thoughts on affordable housing on these projects?

I am a bit torn. On one hand, affordable housing is important but on the other hand, why is it being built in such expensive parts of Manhattan? Many people I know live in Queens, Brooklyn (less expensive parts) to conserve money until they can afford to live in Manhattan - why not build affordable housing in these parts as opposed to more expensive parts of the city?

I was reading that for a new Hell's Kitchen project, affordable rates would go from 600-3500 a month, but I question why someone who is making the minimum to qualify (IIRC, 26000 dollars) should live in Manhattan, and why they should have subsidized living when many others spend more to live farther away and in "less desirable" parts of the city.

Why not require developers to contribute to a fund which will allow for more affordable housing complexes in Queens, Brooklyn, etc? Developers can build more market rate apartments which will help to generate more tax dollars while allowing for the construction of good housing in less expensive parts of town. I am admittedly not well versed on these issues so please correct any incorrect statements or assumptions I have made.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Can someone give me their thoughts on affordable housing on these projects?

Why not require developers to contribute to a fund which will allow for more affordable housing complexes in Queens, Brooklyn, etc? Developers can build more market rate apartments which will help to generate more tax dollars while allowing for the construction of good housing in less expensive parts of town. I am admittedly not well versed on these issues so please correct any incorrect statements or assumptions I have made.
This project in particular has no affordable housing requirement. I've shown on the previous page how they are allowed to build housing on site. Of course, the issue always comes up with the community because anytime housing is built, they assume affordable housing will be a component because of the bonus in size developers get for building it. But for developers who do opt to build the affordable housing, it's not always built on site. I don't want to get too deep into that here, its an issue for the City Discussions forum.

Quote:
I like the terrace. I was reading an article about how popular these spaces have become in Manhattan.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 8:33 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
Love this view the best.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Love this view the best.
Thanks for pointing that out. I think that view is looking west, with the current AP HQ building (450 W 33rd St) as a background.

Direct from the Manhattan West website: http://www.manhattanwestnyc.com/

Casablanca (1942) will be ~80 years old by the time this development is fully built out...

I also like the rendering with the terrace.

Reality: Does anybody know what times slot is allocated for placing the platform girders?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:13 PM

^^ they've added some new machinery to the completed span that looks hoist-y, so hopefully soon. I'll post pics later today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive