HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
The Hyperboloid would be an interesting replacement for MSG.

EDIT: 'course, MSG is I think over 420' wide, so proportionally a Hyperboloid stretched to fill MSG's lot would be 2400' high. The top 400' or so would just be the empty lattice crown though. At those proportions, you could have 100,000 square foot floorplates at the bottom and the top. Make the slab to slab heights 20' or so and you're looking at one hundred storeys of AAA Grade office space, potentially over 6,000,000 square feet of it, right above a railroad hub to boot.

I wonder if anything so ambitious will rise in our lifetimes.

hmm, well ya got me there. it would be interesting to replace round msg with a round tower. i guess a roundy base would fit better there than anywhere else.

however, i would hope they give more thought to an open sky station for at least part of the msg site, which would probably mean no round base for a tower.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
This location would be perfect for the first nyc 2000+ footer. In fact, I'll be disappointed if they don't go for it here - train access, central location, etc.
I guess that would be an ok height for the location, as that height would likely see something with a very large spire on top. I'm thinking of something more balanced with Vanderbilt and Chrysler, in the 1,700 - 1,800 ft range (its own spiral of sorts). But nothing really would surprise me here. We'll just have to see what they come up with in the general project plan. That would give us an indication on where they plan to go.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:08 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I guess that would be an ok height for the location, as that height would likely see something with a very large spire on top. I'm thinking of something more balanced with Vanderbilt and Chrysler, in the 1,700 - 1,800 ft range (its own spiral of sorts). But nothing really would surprise me here. We'll just have to see what they come up with in the general project plan. That would give us an indication on where they plan to go.
I hope they pass the WTC, I don't want the 1776 to become sacred or un-passable or anything.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
https://www.politico.com/states/new-...k-city-1252713

Cuomo leaves an outsized mark on de Blasio's New York City

by POLITICO's Dana Rubinstein
01/21/2020

Quote:
The Cuomo administration may let two of New York City’s biggest real estate concerns tear down Donald Trump’s first significant Manhattan project, and build a skyscraper next to Grand Central Terminal.

Though the development will, with at least 2 million square feet, rival the Chrysler Building in size, New York City itself will have little formal involvement in the project.

I was thinking about this when I read the quote from today's article about the Penn Station Plan...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cuomos-...es-11580688000

Quote:
By Jimmy Vielkind
Feb. 2, 2020

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s latest plan to redevelop Pennsylvania Station shows he really has become a 21st century Robert Moses—not just in dreaming big about infrastructure, but in tugging every available lever of power to move projects along.

...“We can do good things. We can do big things. We’re not impotent—we’re New York. Welcome to the state.”

I like that attitude. Too many of these people find a reason NOT to do something. I really would like to see something special here. It's the best site in the entire city for an office development.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 3:34 PM

Underneath all that glass is the Commodore Hotel, which opened in 1919.

The hotel had an ad on the RF back bleacher wall when Yankee Stadium first opened in 1923.

Ads for the Commodore were also on the walls of the Polo Grounds from 1919-23.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 5:27 PM

A few years ago - not long before she passed away - the elderly lady I grew up near in Massachusetts was telling me about the Hotel Commodore.

She was born in 1913, and never married. She was an independent, working woman (years at Lever Brothers, which eventually became Unilever, in Cambridge, Mass.). And she was a die-hard baseball fan all her life (listening to games on the radio till she died in 2017).

She talked about how much she loved taking the train to New York to see Red Sox-Yankees games, and how she always stayed at the Commodore Hotel, back in the '30s and '40s.

RIP to both of them.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 4:07 PM

Once this is done later this decade....MetLife will announce a 1000 footer Avengers like Tower to sit on their present one.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

Gropius' Pan Am building is completely off limits, though I would be in favor of a modern curtain wall that enhanced it much like the one performed on the UN Secretariat.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Gropius' Pan Am building is completely off limits, though I would be in favor of a modern curtain wall that enhanced it much like the one performed on the UN Secretariat.
One of the biggest problems I have with preservation is that ugly turds can be saved simply because they are unique in their style of ugliness.

It's like, if I find a turd on the sidewalk, and it's fluorescent green, the landmarks commission would come in and say "hey, look at that radioactive poo! We have to save it! There isn't another one like it!"

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 9:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Call me old fashion, but I kinda like Metlife/PanAm.

Maybe a reclad in the future, and an addition. Or what we are likely to see, a conversion to a higher office standard (most realistic option).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Call me old fashion, but I kinda like Metlife/PanAm.

Maybe a reclad in the future, and an addition. Or what we are likely to see, a conversion to a higher office standard (most realistic option).
A re-clad is the only option it seems. High quality glass and a reconfiguration of the base to something brighter more open to the street level would go a long way to improving it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Ah then how about a re-clad and another segment or two to push it way past 1000ft from 800ft?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 5:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Some fantasies if a redesigned Met Life are shown here in this thread...
https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...=184752&page=6

Let’s keep the focus here on the Grand Hyatt redevelopment.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 5:44 PM
New Yorker for life

An older view of the hotel, before the Chrysler Building was a thing...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-th...-94210771.html

Photographer: Scherl/Süddeutsche Zeitung Photo
Date taken: 1 January 1928

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 2:47 PM

A spur of the 3rd Avenue el used to run in front of this hotel to a terminus in front of GCT. There aren't many pictures of it as it was gone by the time the Chrysler Building was built. I wonder how it would have looked in the area today and in the near future with all these new buildings going up.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 4:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 2:27 PM
New Yorker for life

This hotel was supposed to close at the end of next year, but I wonder if a shutdown, even if temporary, would make closing plans happen sooner. I don’t think it would expedite the timeline of this project, but something to keep an eye on.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ic/2885071001/

Half of US hotels could close amid coronavirus crisis, industry exec says

DAVID OLIVER
March 21, 2020

Quote:
Marriott is poised to place tens of thousands of employees on furlough as the hotel giant reels from the coronavirus outbreak. And Hilton spokesperson Meg Ryan confirmed to USA TODAY that two high-profile, Hilton-managed properties are temporarily suspending operations: the Capital Hilton in Washington, D.C, and the New York Hilton Midtown

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/corona...nion-says/amp/

Coronavirus worse for NYC hotels than recession, 9/11 combined, union says

By Carl Campanile
March 19, 2020

Quote:
The coronavirus epidemic could be more devastating to the Big Apple’s hotel business than the 1987 stock market crash, the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the 2008 recession combined, the head of the 40,000-member hotel workers union said Thursday.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 6:12 PM
New Yorker for life

https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...-more-closing/

Park Hyatt New York, Grand Hyatt New York and More Closing

March 20, 2020
by Points, Miles & Martinis

Quote:
Due to the COVID-19 situation, several hotels across the world have started closing especially in New York City. Hyatt has made the decision to close many of their managed properties in the city as a result of the current pandemic.

At this time, many of these hotels are indefinitely, however plan to reopen at a later date once it’s safe to do so. If you have a reservation at a hotel that is closing, Hyatt will be cancelling and refunding prepaid reservations, and crediting back points reservations.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 6:17 PM
BANNED

Hopefully, it won't reopen, and they'll start demo earlier than planned.

I really hope that the HORRIBLE, Helmsley Park Lane on CPS closes for good too.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 1:07 AM

Last I saw the Hotel Penn was selling rooms for $50/night. Hopefully that one goes too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals