HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:36 PM

They claim to have "redesigned" it but they have stripped this spire of all it's unique characteristics.

I don't understand why they won't just make the cladding around the spire thinner, it never really looked right that fat, just a little thinner, not completely strip the damn thing.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:51 PM
the canyons of the city

Get it right, Durst.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:01 PM

I like most people are quite pissed off at the latest developments about the spire, but I continue to hold out a slim hope that maybe SOM & Durst can come to some common ground before the spire is actually hoisted into place...That being said, I have a question...Durst claims it would cost 20 million to maintain the spire, or something along those lines. Why couldn't they simply install the spire as intended by SOM on a TRIAL basis, and try it out first? This would enable 1WTC to claim its intended height of 1776 feet, and become the tallest in the US and the Western Hemisphere by pinnacle height (if only for a time)....It would also enable the detractors like Durst to see if in fact the spire would actually be as hard to maintain as they seem to think...But the main thing would be that if the spire were installed on a temporary basis, like maybe a year or so, it would allow the building to go ahead and claim the intended height records. If you recall the original Twin Towers, they were only the tallest in the world for like a year or so before the Sears Tower came to be...So why can't they try SOM's spire, then if for whatever reasons it doesn't work out, agree to install the stripped antenna as designed by Durst, hideous as it is?? Just some of my thoughts..

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:09 PM

I actually, as a outstander, sended you ny governer a e mail.

I think they could do the antenna cladding and radome in a latter fase. but its the money i see. Someone reached the media or any big person in the us?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:22 PM

^^^
I think someone should also try to contact NY Senator Schumer since he's said on tv how 1WTC is a symbol of New York and the tallest building in America.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:28 PM

If Durst has half a brain they will reconsider....All this negative publicity they are getting skewered (and rightly so)!!!

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:32 PM

https://www.schumer.senate.gov/Conta...tact_chuck.cfm

There is the link to Senator Chuck Schumer's email..I sent him a detailed email about the concerns about the spire re-design. I am not a resident of New York, but I emphasized the aesthetic aspects, and how the spire as intended by SOM should be maintained because of the importance of the site and prominence of 1WTC...Anyone else who wishes to write the Senator, just please be respectful and do not use any profanity. I also wrote to Durst and Mr. Barowitz of Durst.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:37 PM

Still they could do the cladding and radome later. On a side note. Can us cutizens (not me im dutch)
take justicial steps to sue the pa and drust to let the spire thing eventually happen.
If so why not just do it? Sounds stupid i know

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:54 PM

it's maybe the antenna who is in the spire, no ?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:09 PM

guys, this website and its members can stop this change, lets email the ny senators and the ny governor...otherwise, why are we here every day, looking at updates and marveling at buildings and cities. We should not simply stand by, because it is an embarrassment for the city, state, and country...this is not just some other building, the grounds it is being built on are hallowed, and only the outmost quality should be applied in the construction, at least on this one…i for one did not only email the ny legislators, but i will email my own as well, just so they are aware...politicians use this site and the events that took place there at will, they should know about the developments taking place there, and hopefully object to them...

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I like most people are quite pissed off at the latest developments about the spire, but I continue to hold out a slim hope that maybe SOM & Durst can come to some common ground before the spire is actually hoisted into place...That being said, I have a question...Durst claims it would cost 20 million to maintain the spire, or something along those lines. Why couldn't they simply install the spire as intended by SOM on a TRIAL basis, and try it out first? This would enable 1WTC to claim its intended height of 1776 feet, and become the tallest in the US and the Western Hemisphere by pinnacle height (if only for a time)....It would also enable the detractors like Durst to see if in fact the spire would actually be as hard to maintain as they seem to think...But the main thing would be that if the spire were installed on a temporary basis, like maybe a year or so, it would allow the building to go ahead and claim the intended height records. If you recall the original Twin Towers, they were only the tallest in the world for like a year or so before the Sears Tower came to be...So why can't they try SOM's spire, then if for whatever reasons it doesn't work out, agree to install the stripped antenna as designed by Durst, hideous as it is?? Just some of my thoughts..
Because you can't build something to try it out. There is no such thing as building a house for someone to try out. If built it's permanent. Not being mean but some of you guys really have to take architecture and engineering classes, because some of you guys have no idea on what you are talking about.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Because you can't build something to try it out. There is no such thing as building a house for someone to try out. If built it's permanent. Not being mean but some of you guys really have to take architecture and engineering classes, because some of you guys have no idea on what you are talking about.
Well excuse me but I don't claim to be an architecture or engineering expert. I am merely someone who cares about the site and was just throwing out ideas. Who the hell died and made you King Expert?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Well excuse me but I don't claim to be an architecture or engineering expert. I am merely someone who cares about the site and was just throwing out ideas. Who the hell died and made you King Expert?
I am not labeling just you. Just some of you need to do some studying to see what is possible and what is not.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:44 PM

Action

I've emailed Mayor Bloomberg, and posted a comment to the WSJ article.

I'm emailing the Governor next.

We also have an ally in Nicole Gelinas (op-ed writer for NY Post and NY Times) who has been a really thoughtful contributor to the ever-evolving conversation about the rebuilding of WTC....not sure where she is these days, but doing some digging....

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Not to start a riot here, but something else seems a bit off about that rendering, other than the obvious *nasty-ass* design change of the spire...where in the world did 175 Greenwich/3WTC and 200 Greenwich/2WTC go?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:28 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_0426 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
^^^
I think someone should also try to contact NY Senator Schumer since he's said on tv how 1WTC is a symbol of New York and the tallest building in America.
Thanks. Just e-mailed Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Thanks. Just e-mailed Schumer.
That guy is going to get so much emails (including me) he's gonna have to change his mind.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 12:42 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

[QUOTE=CarlosV;5698476]
DSC_0426 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr[/QUOTE Thanks Carlos ...great pic as always....

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post
Not to start a riot here, but something else seems a bit off about that rendering, other than the obvious *nasty-ass* design change of the spire...where in the world did 175 Greenwich/3WTC and 200 Greenwich/2WTC go?
175 is in the dead lower right hand corner of the photo and 200 is observing its uncertain fate. Durst wanted so bad to change the site that they're sweet talking the PA and making it look like garbage to compensate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive