HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I would get rid of the animal exhibits along the lake shore too.
Those are pretty sad.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:51 AM
Bring out the cranes...

So it looks like site work has began on the far north side of the park of what Im hearing will be the site for the new mega coaster coming in 2014. Rumor has it this new coaster will be OVER 200 ft. ( 220 ) and it will be Lagoon's tallest and fastest ride ever.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:04 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It's about damn time we got a decent coaster!

I'm willing to wait an hour plus in line for an awesome coaster, but not for Bombora or The Bat (LAME).

Last edited by Future Mayor; Nov 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:33 PM

That would be fantastic! I do like that Lagoon has consistently upgraded -- adding new rides at a good pace for the last 20 years or so, but I'm willing to skip a year or three of small rides to get a big new coaster. BRING IT.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:35 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

It's about damn time we got a decent coaster!

I'm willing to wait an hour plus in line for an awesome coaster, but not for Bombora or The Bat (LAME).

I remember back in 2007 ( I think ) what ever year the Bat first opened I waited in line for at least 40 mins. I remember being very disappointed with it during the ride when I notice the ride wouldn't go any faster then was seem like 20 mph for me. Heck even in line when I first laid eyes on the ride I remember saying to myself........this is it?.....it looked bigger on TV.

I agree......bring on the mega coaster.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
So it looks like site work has began on the far north side of the park of what Im hearing will be the site for the new mega coaster coming in 2014. Rumor has it this new coaster will be OVER 200 ft. ( 220 ) and it will be Lagoon's tallest and fastest ride ever.
Who told you this? Any other info concerning this possible coaster?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:45 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Who told you this? Any other info concerning this possible coaster?

The info is what I read off of a forum. http://www.lagoonisfun.com/showthread.php?tid=4053

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 1:00 AM

There's definitely something going at the NW edge of Lagoon. I haven't taken a close look, but I drive by on I-15 every day and there is a crane working on something....

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

The info is what I read off of a forum. http://www.lagoonisfun.com/showthread.php?tid=4053
Thanks... It'll be interesting to see exactly what gets built!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 12:19 AM

I'm not really a huge roller coaster fan but it would be nice to not have people come in from bigger cities and constantly tell me how much better Six Flags is LOL.

A 220' coaster, if true, would be great to have.

I agree with everyone who says The Bat is lame. I rode it once and vowed never again. So boring and not worth whatever amount of money they spent on it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I agree with everyone who says The Bat is lame. I rode it once and vowed never again.
I vowed the same thing. That ride damn near felt like a concussion... As if my brain was being rattled around like like a marble in a paint can.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 7:40 PM

Bob, my wife is from Valencia, CA. We decided to go on up to Lagoon for a fun day a few years back. She'd heard from a lot of friends here that it's great and what not. Me, being from St. George, I had only been once, so I was excited. We got there around 10:30 AM. . . by 11 my wife wanted to go home. To say she was unimpressed would be the understatement of the century. Her family always had summer passes to Magic Mountain (6 Flags), and though she thought that the Fire Dragon was a fun ride, it was the only one.
I however, loved the gondola, and the Jet Star 2. I don't know why, but I would love to have the Jet Star 2 in my back yard. That is one I could ride over and over and over.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 8:47 PM

I'm sure it's just for some kind of maintenance, but I noticed this morning that the Colossus is being taken apart....

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Iv noticed the Fire Dragon / Colossus being taken down as well.. It seems like I herd once that only that small part of the park was zoned for rolercoasters exceeding a certain size (thats why I never get excited for a new coaster on the north end of the park). Im not sure if the zoning thing is true.. But there have also been rumors of a new super coaster for a while... If the zoning thing is true the fire dragon might be the logical choice of coaster to get rid of.. Plus they might want a premier coaster viewable from I15

However... They did take down the skyscraper last year... So maintenance is a real possibility... That thing has needed to be repainted for years.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 7:58 AM

Wow, long time no post - I still however have remained a practically daily (multiple times a day, really) reader to this forum for about five years. I just figured that since I know a little info, I'd finally force myself to remember my login and start posting again.

Anyway, Colossus is not being removed and never will be unless it is damaged beyond repair. The coaster itself is too valuable of an icon to the park, always has been. They simply are finishing their last year of maintenance on the ride and are conducting a full repaint before the park reopens next spring.

Now, onto the next roller coaster. Lagoon has stated in the past that they are planning on adding a new major roller coaster in the very near future. Whether that meant 2013 or 2014, no one really knew. That is, up until this year when no preparation was done thus making 2013 look less likely to happen. The site prep that they are doing now is where Top Eliminator Dragsters used to be and it is the speculated position for the major roller coaster of 2014. Rumors that suggest the height of being around 200', at least one inversion, and the biggest/most expensive roller coaster Lagoon has built to date all seem to be very reliable and accurate. I'm just here hoping it's true as it will finally put Lagoon on the map for good. Oh and as far as zoning, Lagoon doesn't have different height restrictions in different areas of their park. Instead, the complaints of noise from the residents of Farmington is really the deciding factor of where Lagoon places their rides (notice how there are no major/noisy rides in pioneer villiage which is next to residential homes?). Lagoon's height restriction is basically no taller than the Rocket currently is (just about 200').

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
Bob, my wife is from Valencia, CA. We decided to go on up to Lagoon for a fun day a few years back. She'd heard from a lot of friends here that it's great and what not. Me, being from St. George, I had only been once, so I was excited. We got there around 10:30 AM. . . by 11 my wife wanted to go home. To say she was unimpressed would be the understatement of the century. Her family always had summer passes to Magic Mountain (6 Flags), and though she thought that the Fire Dragon was a fun ride, it was the only one.
I however, loved the gondola, and the Jet Star 2. I don't know why, but I would love to have the Jet Star 2 in my back yard. That is one I could ride over and over and over.
If all you're looking for is big roller coasters, no Lagoon is not that exciting.

I can't imagine she couldn't have enjoyed the Rocket, unless she's either not into that kind of ride or it wasn't built yet.

I will usually ride each roller coaster onceand then spend the rest of my time at the various water rides and at Lagoon-a-Beach. Needless to say I get bored of Lagoon after about half a day. However, because I'm not really into roller coasters, I'm not sure if I could have too much fun at other, bigger parks either, although I would give some of them a chance (there's some that I could never get myself to go on though lol).

Either way I recognize why it's so important for Lagoon to install a bigger coaster, and I think it's something that they should've pushed for sooner instead of installing these smaller rides that nobody really likes (such as the Bat and the BomBoring I mean the BomBora) and placing so much emphasis on the kid's zone.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:44 AM
They all float down here

When I was a kid, back in the 90s, Lagoon rarely had any major updates - specifically roller coasters. I got really sick of it by the late 90s, especially when the first 'real' roller coaster to open up in my lifetime as a kid was the Wild Mouse. It bored the hell out of me.

But they seem to be increasing at a far higher rate than twenty years ago. Still, I haven't been to Lagoon since ... 2007? I'm sure I'll return one of these days, but you can only ride so many rides over and over again before you lose interest. I don't know how people do season passes.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:59 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
...especially when the first 'real' roller coaster to open up in my lifetime as a kid was the Wild Mouse.
The new Wild Mouse is NOTHING like the old Wild Mouse it replaced. The new one feels too controlled. The old one really felt like you were going to fall over the edge.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
The new Wild Mouse is NOTHING like the old Wild Mouse it replaced. The new one feels too controlled. The old one really felt like you were going to fall over the edge.
That's no joke... The old one was like a bullet-train down Little Cottenwood Canyon on a wooden frame with rusted out rails.

Someone correct my memory... Weren't there fatalities with the old Wild Mouse ride?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:57 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Here's a question that's been on my mind. Why does Utah only has one theme park? Do you think the Salt lake metro or Utah as a whole can support a 2nd theme park?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West