HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 12:45 AM

Cootes Paradise/Desjardins Canal

We had a great afternoon learning so much about Cootes Paradise, the efforts to revive the grasslands and savannah surrounding Princess Point, and the Canal. May be old news to you Hamiltonians but for us newbies it was quite an eye-opener.

Fascinating history of the wetlands, and so interesting to see the restoration efforts. The "fishway" is quite ingenious, and appears to be working. The size of the wetlands is remarkable.

The Canal's history was fascinating. I had no idea of its existence, let alone the story.

We're looking forward to exploring the parts of Cootes that are accessible by hiking in from Olympic Drive. All tips and suggestions are welcome.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 1:05 AM

Touched on this a bit in another thread but you might also find the Dundas Walks blog of interest.

Oft-overlooked Lake Jojo is also out that way.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 1:11 AM

It's an amazing area and a great asset to the city. You're almost guaranteed an animal sighting of one sort or another - bald eagle, osprey, deer or perhaps even a pelican or two in the summer months.

I used to cruise around Cootes in my canoe but it's been pretty pointless of late - low water levels, silt, etc. In ideal conditions, it's a great way to explore the canal. You can still put in from Dundas around Olympic Drive but it's tough going.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Touched on this a bit in another thread but you might also find the Dundas Walks blog of interest.

Oft-overlooked Lake Jojo is also out that way.
And check out Grindstone Creek as well. Nearby and a great little hike.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks Thistle and pEte! Much to explore.

pEte, your canoe challenge in Cootes may be, ironically, the outcomes hoped for by the RBG. Apparently, low water levels are what is needed to help restore Cootes to its original marshland state. The local ecosystem needs less water for seeding of the indigenous plants, and helps keep carp out. Overall, wetland rehab needs less, rather than more water from what I read on the interpretative signage.

The canal was a economic failure because of successive years of low water, and silting. So interesting.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:37 PM

^It just goes to show you how important Dundas was in those days. I highly underrated feat of engineering, actually.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 8:24 PM
Ham-burgher

I remember reading that Desjardins had at one time wanted to extend the canal to Lake Huron (see here, also noted on the Wikipedia page)

I'm not sure how feasible that would have been from an engineering standpoint (crossing/integrating the Grand River valley for example), nor from a transport demand and transit-time perspective, never mind the cost.

But if it had happened, imagine how it would have changed Dundas, Cootes Paradise, and Hamilton? Even if it was more like the Erie Canal than the current Welland and eventually became obsolete. Effects on geography and development, the local economies, environment and ecology, perhaps recreation if it was still in use for pleasure craft...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 12:39 AM

^Great find! I'd never heard that before, though I've certainly read how eager government and business were to open up areas to the west. It's hard to imagine how such a feat could have been accomplished, though. Lots and lots of locks, I suppose. I wish we had a little map that showed the proposed route.

Another interesting point from the article:
Within the Gore District, the old rivalry among localities for commercial supremacy had not abated; it had, however, narrowed to a struggle between Dundas and Hamilton. What the latter had lacked in initial commercial advantages had been counterbalanced by its selection in 1816 as the administrative capital of the district. Hostility to that decision by the other communities at the Head of the Lake did not abate quickly.
source

I'm not sure the hostility has abated much over the years.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 2:23 AM

The RBG Trail Map of Escarpment Sanctuaries might come in handy.

There's certainly no getting around the area's natural heritage, so you might also consider looking into the doings of the Hamilton Naturalists' Club. For example:

Wed. Aug. 7, 2013 6:00 p.m.
EXPLORING CARTWRIGHT, OUR NATURE SANCTUARY IN THE CITY
This HNC nature sanctuary is part of a wildlife corridor from the escarpment towards Coote's Paradise and abuts RBG and Conservation Lands. There are old orchards and woodlands and a distant view of the city of Hamilton. Warren Beacham, who was Sanctuary Director for several years, will lead the hike and tell you about the natural features and flora and fauna of Cartwright. This is an approximately 2 km walk with some hilly sections. There may be bugs. Meet at the Borer's Falls parking lot on the west side of York Road between the railway bridge and Valley Road. We will carpool to Patterson Road as there is very little parking available there. Contact Warren at 905-627-3343.

Sat. Sept 14, 2013 10:00 a.m.
A WALK IN THE WOODS WITH FUNGUS
In this follow-up hike to Kyle McLoughlin's HNC lecture we will explore the north shore of Coote's Paradise for myriad organisms across the fungi kingdom. Many questions will be answered and many more will be raised. This afternoon hike (max 2 hours) will pique your interest and raise your spirits. Contact Kyle McLoughlin at kylemcloughlin@gmail.com for details. Meet at the RBG Arboretum in the parking circle.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 9:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
^Great find! I'd never heard that before, though I've certainly read how eager government and business were to open up areas to the west. It's hard to imagine how such a feat could have been accomplished, though. Lots and lots of locks, I suppose. I wish we had a little map that showed the proposed route.

Another interesting point from the article:
Within the Gore District, the old rivalry among localities for commercial supremacy had not abated; it had, however, narrowed to a struggle between Dundas and Hamilton. What the latter had lacked in initial commercial advantages had been counterbalanced by its selection in 1816 as the administrative capital of the district. Hostility to that decision by the other communities at the Head of the Lake did not abate quickly.
source

I'm not sure the hostility has abated much over the years.
Thanks. Getting a bit off topic, but you can find more interesting tidbits regarding the history of Hamilton's establishment over Dundas in the bios of George Hamilton and James Durand. Perhaps the latter would be a good addition to your thread on influential Hamiltonians?

(I wish they had a page about Nathaniel Hughson too)

I continue to find history more and more fascinating. I never did when I was in school, but it has grown on me. It's amazing how key decisions far in the past were turning points that influenced what we have today.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 2:27 AM

^There's still very little emphasis on local history in schools today. One of the many reasons why kids loathe it so much is because the topics seem so abstract and distant. Few teachers seem to understand that the fur trade, for example, isn't just something that happened out in Rupert's Land but was a part of every day life here as well. Anyway, I don't envy history teachers - it's a tough nut to crack.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:28 PM

Paul Wilson: Close the bridge and have a picnic – mayor says it's awesome idea
CBC Hamilton
By Paul Wilson

The High Level Bridge on York Boulevard is the prettiest place in Hamilton.

The view to the east is the harbour — sailboats, city skyline and, yes, factory stacks. To the west, Cootes Paradise, all green and good.

And then there’s the span itself, properly called the Thomas B. McQuesten High Level Bridge. That graceful arch, those four tall columns of stone. For more than 80 years, it’s been the city entrance that makes Hamilton proud.

Unfortunately, it’s tough to take in all this beauty. Cross the bridge in a car and the view’s over in a flash. Bike or hike across, and the roar of traffic is always a distraction. More than 30,000 vehicles cross the High Level every day.

But Hamilton industrialist Patrick Bermingham has an idea. It’s a simple one, a good one.

Close the bridge, he says. Just for an evening. Then let the people take over. Let them bring their picnic baskets and enjoy the peace, the panorama and, the Gods permitting, a sunset.

Bermingham is full of ideas. He has to be. He is CEO of a company that bears his family name, located at the foot of Ferguson, by the harbour. It’s been around for four generations.

They build foundations for tunnels, bridges, structures all over the world. There are 170 employees and the company is growing. A few years ago, it looked as though the company would have to move, but it found space on the old Lakeport Brewery property and is staying right here.

He dreams of bridges

Bermingham, 53, wanted it that way. Hamilton is his town. "But we don’t often make a public declaration of love or appreciation for our city," he says. "A Ticat game may be as close as it comes." The banquet on the bridge could be another opportunity.

Bermingham has been having bridge dreams a long time. He has this theory. A stream is symbolic of life rolling on, never stopping. But when you’re on the bridge over that stream, time is suspended.

On his 50th birthday, he suspended time a little. He had half-a-dozen guests to his property out in Mineral Springs and dinner was served on a wee bridge over a stream.

Now it’s time to do it on a big bridge. Bermingham thought he should "test the waters" and last month invited Mayor Bob Bratina to join him for breakfast on the High Level Bridge.

There were just the two of them, a little table on the bridge, with eggs Benedict and orange juice in champagne glasses. Bermingham knew Bratina was a runner, and the Around the Bay Road Race has closed this bridge many times.

We reached the mayor yesterday. "It’s an awesome idea," he says over the phone. With that, he reaches for a poster of runners crossing the High Level Bridge, snaps a picture and e-mails it to us.

Bratina suggests closing the bridge would be a good way to mark summer solstice, June 21 next year, a Saturday, and that the picnic could run from 7 to 11 p.m.

Bermingham is fine with that. "I see covered tables, and food and Chinese lanterns, and people arriving from Dundas by canoe."

Dinner in the middle of Queen

He know this can work. A few weeks ago, neighbours held a dinner right in the middle of Queen Street, south of Aberdeen, a stretch that’s closed for construction all summer long. About 100 showed up, hitching their tables together for a long table. There was free ice cream.

The city had nothing to do with that neighbourhood party. And Bermingham says the city wouldn’t have to do much for a High Level picnic either, just reroute traffic.

"We’ll stop and enjoy our city," he says. "We’ll have a sip of that view and then let the cars back on."

There is one other matter.

The bridge was the brainchild of Hamilton’s T.B. McQuesten, provincial minister of highways. It was constructed in 1932 with those three-storey columns, each with a large niche, or cavity.

As the bridge was being completed, McQuesten contacted four prominent Hamilton families about whether they’d like a bronze statue in the niche. Turns out all four were Presbyterians and an uproar ensued. The niches have been empty ever since.

Bratina would like to see them occupied. Maybe, he says, there could be a contest. Bermingham is not keen on that idea. He’d like the people of Hamilton to get a chance on picnic night to get their picture taken in a niche. Then leave them empty.

There’s another option, one suggested nearly 30 years ago by the late Gil Simmons, a North Ender who fought hard for this city:

"Please, no heroes," she said. "The trouble with even the best heroes is that their fame fades. New generations stare blankly at old statues.

"In the niches, let there be four sculptures, each different, complex, rich realistic compositions of animals, birds, fish, reptiles, plant life — symbolic of the living things beneath the bridge."

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 6:24 AM
Ham-burgher

Interesting idea. If you're going to close the bridge for an evening, why not close the entire stretch of York from Dundurn to Old Guelph Rd. and hold a bigger event? Some kind of festival? Maybe tie in Dundurn Castle and the history of the Heights? And do it for the afternoon too.

It's such an amazing part of the city, and I'm not sure many people appreciate it, simply because they don't go there much.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 12:44 PM

The stretch of Queen between Aberdeen and Glenfern is about twice the length of the McQuesten HLB span. A banquet on the bridge is bound to be a hot draw, and shoehorning people in won’t make it more enjoyable. Maybe using the event as an exclusive fundraiser -- to benefit the Dundas EcoPark, perhaps?

And yes, since they’ll need to close highway ramps (shame this wasn’t floated last year, when the westbound ramp was KO'd for six months) they may as well lock down everything above Dundurn and do something ambitious that draws in the whole city. Do we still do ambitious?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion