HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 7:44 PM
loafing in lotusland

We should ask politicians what he would name the team. Any thoughts on what Libs, NDPers or GReens would choose?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 7:45 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
We should ask politicians what he would name the team. Any thoughts on what Libs, NDPers or GReens would choose?
vancouver lies
vancouver over spenders
vancouver scandals....

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 10:29 PM

How about the Vancouver Yetis? I thought of the Vancouver Sasquatches but despite being more of a local reference it doesn't roll off the tongue too well.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 12:08 AM

I like the Vancouver Big Feet

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 6:17 PM

I wonder whatever happened to that Howard Kesley guy who was pursuing to make a pitch for the Portland Trailblazers, at a time when Paul Allen was claiming that the team was going to lose 100 million over a span of 3 years. I heard that part of the group to purchase the Blazers and bring them to Vancouver was Aquilini and McCaw (back in 2006), but obviously that deal fell through, or the NBA just said no.

I wonder if Aquilini has plans (for the future) to secure a struggling NBA franchise and move them up here to Vancity, and perhaps package them with the Canucks? If we get a relocated team, I can see a better chance at success. If we get an expansion team (again), I hardly doubt that the city wants to go through those growing pains, again. If New Orleans are available in the next few years (up for sale), I hope Aquilini jumps at the opportunity, because it makes good business sense to fill the other 41 dates at GM Place when the Canucks are away. Plus, he doesn't have to pay rent, because he owns GM Place. Make sense to me. On top of that, I really do think that he is thinking of expanding his Canucks and Sports Entertainment company with more pro sports teams in the fold, much like what Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment have done with having the Jays, Raptors, and Leafs in their fold.

Make it happen Aquilini. This city would jump all over the chance of having a second chance at proving to the NBA that we CAN, and are ABLE to support an NBA franchise when given a fair chance at success. Stern has been on record on saying that he doesn't think that the NBA can return to Vancouver. But whose to say that if an owner buys a team, and then decides to move it out of town, that he can't do that?

If Indiana is having a very difficult time, I can see that team moving too, only for the state to be given another franchise with the same name. Much like the Charlotte situation (but they didn't keep their name).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 9:07 PM

i got it, the Vancouver Beachcombers

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 5:36 AM

Vancouver Rain

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 5:40 AM

I think Las Vegas should get a team first.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
On top of that, I really do think that he is thinking of expanding his Canucks and Sports Entertainment company with more pro sports teams in the fold, much like what Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment have done with having the Jays, Raptors, and Leafs in their fold.

Make it happen Aquilini. This city would jump all over the chance of having a second chance at proving to the NBA that we CAN, and are ABLE to support an NBA franchise when given a fair chance at success. Stern has been on record on saying that he doesn't think that the NBA can return to Vancouver. But whose to say that if an owner buys a team, and then decides to move it out of town, that he can't do that?
Corporate support was a big problem when the Grizzlies were here from what I recall - I'm not sure it would be that different this time around. The dollar at par would make a huge difference though. Fan support was decent then for a team that had never been anything but terrible, and was better than it is in a lot of NBA cities now I think. Some players didn't want to play here - not sure if that would have changed much. I don't know how the TV ratings stack up against today's struggling teams.

Anyways, other posters have made all these points already. Overall, things might be better this time around - but it's not going to happen as long as Stern is Commish. If he doesn't want a team here, it's not going to happen.

And FYI, the Jays aren't owned by MLSE - they're owned by Rogers.

Last edited by Locked In; Apr 8, 2010 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 6:12 AM

What were the NBA players beef with playing in Vancouver? was it because of the team sucking? or because Vancouver wasn't cool enough for them??

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 6:22 AM

For what it's worth, I've heard that a lot of players aren't too interested in playing for a Canadian team in general - who knows if that's true. More specifically, this is from the wikipedia page for Steve Francis:

Quote:
Francis was selected second in the 1999 NBA Draft by the Vancouver Grizzlies. He publicly announced that he did not want to play for the Grizzlies, citing the distance from his Maryland home, taxes, endorsements, and God's will. Heavily criticized for his antics, especially in Vancouver,[10] he relented and briefly considered joining the Grizzlies before contentious negotiations and an incident at the Vancouver airport convinced both the franchise and Francis they needed to go separate ways.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 6:36 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I think Las Vegas should get a team first.
there not going to Vegas because of the issue between gambling on NBA games without NBA consent ect. not too sure on the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
For what it's worth, I've heard that a lot of players aren't too interested in playing for a Canadian team in general - who knows if that's true. More specifically, this is from the wikipedia page for Steve Francis:
Yes many Americans wouldnt play for canadian team, and like i posted earlier that's why we should try to attract European,asians and southamericans who wouldnt mind Vancouver.

The game is growing in those regions and we should tap into that.
One example look at Raptors with Turkloglu and bargnanie(spelling on both please?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
Not to mention that Basketball as a game is become more inclusive, having Asian, European and South American players coming up!

Plus all that matters is the Fan support, you make money from the fans not the players.
Just draft non-NorthAmerican players or do a Toronto and sign people like Turkoglu.

Also remember Toronto is in the top ten money making teams!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 6:40 AM

I never really understood the problem, either, given that I never heard a player complain about Seattle. I speculate that there's a big sense of entitlement among basketball players, and that they resent having to deal with border control, something I've never heard baseball or hockey players complain about. And I suspect that Vancouver being the "least black" city in the NBA was also an issue, one that was never spoken of out loud. However, there's a lot more sponsorship and consumer money available here these days, and more awareness and appreciation of Vancouver among the elite. The circumstances are really a lot different than they were 15 years ago. Our little city grew up quite a bit in those years.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:37 AM
Reason and Freedom

Here is an amusing Sports Illustrated article about the failure of the Vancouver Grizzlies, written during that time: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2337/index.htm

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 8, 2010 at 8:56 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I never really understood the problem, either, given that I never heard a player complain about Seattle. I speculate that there's a big sense of entitlement among basketball players, and that they resent having to deal with border control, something I've never heard baseball or hockey players complain about. And I suspect that Vancouver being the "least black" city in the NBA was also an issue, one that was never spoken of out loud. However, there's a lot more sponsorship and consumer money available here these days, and more awareness and appreciation of Vancouver among the elite. The circumstances are really a lot different than they were 15 years ago. Our little city grew up quite a bit in those years.
I think it had to do a lot about not being aware of what kind of city Vancouver was. It was ignorance from much of the players. Playing in Vancouver was like playing in another continent for many of the players. Stu Jackson, and the organization really did not do a very good job of marketing the team, and educating their players on what kind of city Vancouver was. I think with a new relocated team, and the extra exposure that the Winter Olympics brought to Vancity, I think the NBA could be very successful this time around. Sure, there are some wounds within the people still, but for the most part, the NBA is an entertaining product. People here enjoy ball, especially during the winter time when it's raining most of the time. To have a competitive team here, and an improving team from year to year would bring a lot of fans into the building. A team that continues to fail, and never win more than 23 games would bring doom. I mean, if the Memphis relocated BACK to Vancouver, they'd attract a lot more attention, given that they've (to date) won 39 games so far, and they're .500 on the year.

Stern is not going to be Commish forever. And eventually, I do believe that the city is going to be given another chance. Will the Aquilini's step up and bring a team to the city? If they do, we'd have a greater chance to keeping the team here for a long, long time, because we have local ownership. The Aquilini's, imo, are pretty proud Vancouverites. They'd make pretty good owners. For the record, they should NOT listen to Stern's suggestions for whom to hire as GM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:55 AM

Quote:
I agree that the circumstances are very different than that of 15 years ago. Our population first of all has grown, and the economy has definitely changed. The dollar at that time ('95) was at a lousy .60 cents, and today it pretty much is on par with the American dollar! The economic landscape today is far different than when the Grizz entered in 1995. A new team here in Vancouver would work, and if few Americans want to play for the team, then I say tap into the different parts of the world, where Europeans are becoming better players, and make a trade for the face of the franchise (ie Yao Ming).

I feel like the Aquilini's are looking into an NBA team. There were reports that they were a part of a group with McCaw back in 2006 to make a bid for the Portland Trailblazers and bring them to Vancouver. Reports/Rumors about the Aquilini's again surfaced last year about purchasing the Pacers and moving them to Vancouver. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aquilin's pursued one of the struggling franchises (ie Memphis, New Orleans, etc). Stern may not be willing to come to Vancouver via expansion, but if a local owner would step up, and bring a team to the city (via relocation), and provide a plan, and strategy as to how to make the franchise successful, then yeah, I'd say Stern doesn't turn a blind eye to a gateway to the Asian market, plus an economic benefit to the league.

Make it happen.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks23 View Post
What were the NBA players beef with playing in Vancouver? was it because of the team sucking? or because Vancouver wasn't cool enough for them??
I think it is because of the franchises' reputation for losing all the time. No athlete wants to lose, particularly losing 60 plus games a year. That's no fun, no matter how beautiful the city is.

I'd say things would be different this time around. Package the new NBA franchise with the Canucks, and instead of competing against the Canucks, work with them in establishing a good business relationship.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Here is an amusing Sports Illustrated article about the failure of the Vancouver Grizzlies, written during that time: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2337/index.htm
Great article - thanks for posting it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:01 PM
Reason and Freedom

Here is another article about the failure of the Grizzlies. It provides a good summary of the confluence of factors which led to the Grizzlies' downfall in Vancouver: http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/indi...ving-vancouver

This article gives a detailed description of the Grizzlies' bad luck and incompetence when it came to its draft picks: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1335635/

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:38 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
I find it funny that the some NBA players didnt want to play for this citiys team, but loved coming to vancouver to play for a day!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation