HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 11:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Minor news...
http://www.dnainfo.com/20100701/fina...-falling-metal

World Trade Center Worker Hurt by Falling Metal
The construction worker was hit in the leg and taken to Bellevue Hospital with minor injuries, officials said.

July 1, 2010

Quote:
A construction worker was hospitalized Thursday when a piece of metal from the World Trade Center site fell onto his leg, officials said.

The unidentified worker was on the fifth level of the One World Trade Center high-rise project — the site of the future Freedom Tower — when he was hurt about 12:43 p.m., according to officials from the FDNY and the Port Authority.

The worker was taken to Bellevue Hospital with minor injuries, an FDNY spokesman said.

A source said the worker was employed by the Canadian company Collavino Construction, which is the primary contractor responsible for pouring the concrete at the site, according to the website Construction Today.com.

An official who answered the phone at the company’s New Jersey offices said he was not aware that any of their workers were injured.

In March, another worker was injured at the site when he fell 20 feet into a hole from the fourth or fifth level of the building, the FDNY said at the time.

During that incident, the FDNY was barred from entering the WTC site, which is under the control of the Port Authority. The injured worker was carried to the FDNY and the EMS workers outside the construction site, the FDNY said at the time.

The FDNY said there were no such restrictions to their access during the latest incident.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Minor news...
It is minor. Accidents on projects like these are expected. It's just nice to know things have gone relatively smoothly. Especially with an active subway system right next to it.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 1:27 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post
I'm not new to this project, but I do have a question regarding the tower's construction. Is the building going to be entirely built using steel beam reinforced floors, or are there going to be any concrete floorplates as the tower goes up?
The short answer is all the floors above the lobby/plaza are steel supported reinforced concrete slabs (except inside the core). Everything from the lobby down is reinforced concrete.

Sounds like some rebar fell on him, hope he fully recovers. With the size of some of the bars in this tower having a piece fall on you can be very bad.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 1:44 AM

Is one side of the building going without the bomb blast protection wall?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer1 View Post
It is minor. Accidents on projects like these are expected. It's just nice to know things have gone relatively smoothly. Especially with an active subway system right next to it.
Let's hope that was the last accident..

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 3:36 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
Is one side of the building going without the bomb blast protection wall?
No, the north and south sides have the slotted wall that can be seen in pics. The entire perimeter well have a protection wall between the columns except at the entrances. Also the emergancy stairways well be enclosed.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 1:26 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Minor news...
http://www.dnainfo.com/20100701/fina...-falling-metal

World Trade Center Worker Hurt by Falling Metal
The construction worker was hit in the leg and taken to Bellevue Hospital with minor injuries, officials said.

July 1, 2010
That poor guy. I hope he is going to relax right now.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 5:43 PM

Thats what happens when your building a supertall i wouldn't be surprised if there was a death in the future

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 5:51 PM

not necessarily a supertall, but it usually happens when building the tallest building on the content..... (injury, not death)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
Thats what happens when your building a supertall i wouldn't be surprised if there was a death in the future
Positive perspective of the day. It was bound to happen, and i'm sure somewhere around the 80th or 90th floors there will be 2 more. But it's just a huge factor when building a supertall, most of us had already mentioned that fact.

BTW, Thanks Zensteeldude for your response the bomb wall thing.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 6:03 AM

Love the hand pointing up at the bottom of that pic. Something cool about it.
(this one, linked as to prevent posting the same image over and over...)

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 8:35 AM

Quote:
The most dangerous height to fall from on a building site is three foot. This is the height that causes the most injuries and even a few deaths. The reason for this is twofold: 1/ Because people don't expect to get hurt at that height so they take risks, and 2/ If you do fall you don't have time to land on your feet. Common injuries include broken arms, dislocated shoulders and concussion.

Workers working at higher heights usually have either a handrail or a fall arrest system as well as specialized training and detailed job planning.

In regards to the WTC site, I'd say that since it's such a high profile job the management will be taking an extra cautious approach.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer1 View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry, but are you people actually defending construction accidents? This isn't the first work-related accident at this site and any such injury is inexcusable.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 11:35 PM

Prep work is underway at both the 2 and 3 WTC sites, and the transportation hub has started. The entire site will be 100% under construction by the end of the year, most likely.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo_ View Post
I'm sorry, but are you people actually defending construction accidents? This isn't the first work-related accident at this site and any such injury is inexcusable.
No one knows the extent of the injury or the exact cause. It's inexcusable if it was due to negligence, but it may have just been an honest accident.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 2:54 AM

Guys u almost sound like your wishing death on someone who is currently building one world trade center, i know u all dont, but almost sounds like it, i myself work in this industry in Canada, and ive seen injuries, bad ones etc, its not nice thing to see, speciallly when its good friends, id hate to see a death. but anyway thought id point that out, thanks boys, by the way this tower is f***in INTENSE!!, congrats to the boys building it, they deserve all the credit, keep it up!!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 5:53 AM

No job site should ever have an injury....regardless of complexity

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 5:55 AM

I can't imagine how you possibly got "we are wishing death on construction workers" out of any of that.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 12:22 PM

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 1:05 PM

Looks like a real good day for construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive