HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 9:54 PM
A hole being Doug

Has there been a plan made public to build the marina docks?

I assumed the seaplane dock battle delayed construction, but it has been months now and that orphaned pier still sits lonely. Rental of those slips would be the closest thing to free money in this world.

With the marine habitat built as part of the convention center and the return of large mammals to local waters, I could even imagine someone starting a dive center in part on the large tourist traffic there.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 11:19 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'll try and find out for you but it might take me a bit. Last I heard it was still in the cards as was the restaurant space at Harbour Green park but there's been no news on either front.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:10 AM

cool video

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:12 AM

wow. must be nice to have TED money

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:17 AM
blog this

Amazing shot of Jack Poole Plaza:

Photo by Emil Akberli https://www.flickr.com/photos/emil7/...ool-vancouver/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 9:51 PM

3HG looks very populated...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genauso View Post
Has there been a plan made public to build the marina docks?

I assumed the seaplane dock battle delayed construction, but it has been months now and that orphaned pier still sits lonely. Rental of those slips would be the closest thing to free money in this world.

With the marine habitat built as part of the convention center and the return of large mammals to local waters, I could even imagine someone starting a dive center in part on the large tourist traffic there.
One of the side effect of the seaplane dock battle is the excess capacity at the new seaplane terminal since Harbour Air now uses its own dock.
I walked by the seaplane terminal today and found it being used as a marine dock for tour ship.
Apparently Harbour Cruises has moved into Vancouver Harbour Flight Centre at Jack Poole Plaza. So now there is even less incentive to build the marine dock.
I think sea birds like this situation as they now occupy the marine dock space.

Photos I took today:

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 4:23 PM
life in the present

I've been looking at this gaping hole every day on my way to the gym, glad to see they've put lots of thought into this beautiful solution

Photo By : connect2source

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 5:56 PM

What gap? I just see a grove of trees in a hardscape extension of the park and... my word. You just might be right!

I certainly hope that the restaurant still comes together, however I would prefer that a project there should only go forward when the restaurant group believes it will be a success. Cactus Club has made a serious investment in their Convention Centre location and I can see it having spooked a 3rd party that would be considering this site. With that said, there are also insane lineups for the Cactus Club, so I'm certain that demand exists for an accessible-upscale restaurant in this precinct.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 6:40 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The Harbour Green restaurant has been delayed until further notice. It will still be going ahead just not now. We'll probably hear about it again in ~18months.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
What gap? I just see a grove of trees in a hardscape extension of the park and... my word. You just might be right!

I certainly hope that the restaurant still comes together, however I would prefer that a project there should only go forward when the restaurant group believes it will be a success. Cactus Club has made a serious investment in their Convention Centre location and I can see it having spooked a 3rd party that would be considering this site. With that said, there are also insane lineups for the Cactus Club, so I'm certain that demand exists for an accessible-upscale restaurant in this precinct.
Insta-park! Just add water!

Well if the timeline for finishing the gap in the seawall is any indicator about how long it will take to finish this gap I'd say don't hold your breath!!

Last edited by Jimbo604; Jun 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM. Reason: Added timeline comment.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 7:22 PM

Well, if they install an uneven undulating surface , then it'll be as good as Yaletown Park.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 11:50 PM
blog this

There's a little bike rental in that space now too.

I can't see the need for another restaurant there - in the winter it will be dead just like the Mill. Put a starbucks or timmies or ice cream stand in there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 12:18 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post

I can't see the need for another restaurant there - in the winter it will be dead just like the Mill.
But according to that logic there is no need for the Mill Bistro, one of the greatest patio spots in the city. And that's clearly false.

Just like the Mill Bistro and both Tap & Barrels, a restaurant in this space will be an amazing addition to the city one day because it is blessed with one of the most perfect patio locations in downtown (i.e., on the seawall with westerly exposure and unadulterated views of the North Shore Mountains) and would be epically successful during the patio season from mid spring to early fall, precisely when we need it.

If one thing Tap & Barrel has shown us is that Vancouverites have a major appetite for prime, sun-filled patios with spectacular views and mediocre food.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jun 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 2:10 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
But according to that logic there is no need for the Mill Bistro, one of the greatest patio spots in the city. And that's clearly false.

Just like the Mill Bistro and both Tap & Barrels, a restaurant in this space will be an amazing addition to the city one day because it is blessed with one of the most perfect patio locations in downtown (i.e., on the seawall with westerly exposure and unadulterated views of the North Shore Mountains) and would be epically successful during the patio season from mid spring to early fall, precisely when we need it.

If one thing Tap & Barrel has shown us is that Vancouverites have a major appetite for prime, sun-filled patios with spectacular views and mediocre food.
As a resident of Coal Harbour ( I live two blocks from my photo ) I can only half agree. Although the views are beautiful, there is no sun and little light here from late October to April, hence it's far colder and darker than English Bay, which is where everyone around here flocks to during winter months. The Tap & Barrel is far more exposed to year-round to light but this 'gaping hole' and The Mill suffer greatly from cold and dark during the winter, I question how The Mill survives half the year.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 3:16 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post

As a resident of Coal Harbour ( I live two blocks from my photo ) I can only half agree. Although the views are beautiful, there is no sun and little light here from late October to April, hence it's far colder and darker than English Bay, which is where everyone around here flocks to during winter months.
You only half agree with my claim that it will have good sun exposure and be highly successful "during the patio season from mid spring to early fall"?

Which half of that claim do you disagree with?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 3:23 AM

I'm sure a restaurant like The Mill does very well during the Xmas/New Year's period too.

Restaurants are normally slow in the early part of the calendar year anyway, no?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 4:15 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Here's link to the document about the delay, not big on details but we've come to expect that lately...

http://former.vancouver.ca/fs/bid/bi...iceofDelay.PDF

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 3:23 AM

On a rainy Sunday. The green roof sure is green.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 7:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Amazing photo.

I sure hope that we eventually see that unfinished segment replaced with a restaurant or if not possible, some kind of retail or public use space.
Reading above hopefully we hear something later this year.

By the way, has there been any word if the marina will ever be developed? I actually like the the project without it.

Last edited by red-paladin; Mar 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver