HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
Random question ... does anyone know whatever happened to the Albina Yards relocation project? At 200+ acres, it almost feels like it could single-handedly solve Portland's housing shortage for a long time. So many possibilities for large scale projects - stadium, campus, markets, performance spaces, whatever. Is it totally a dead idea for some reason?

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...-property.html

https://www.plandesignxplore.com/bui.../5/albina-yard
Who exactly is this person?

"Badreddine, who goes by Moe, acknowledges he doesn’t have any experience in owning or developing land..."

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 2:55 PM

I was skeptical of the idea at the time, for that reason. It would be an incredibly difficult project for even the most experienced of developers, and the fact that Union Pacific gave no indication that the site was available made it even more unlikely.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 6:01 PM

While unlikely it certainly would be a cool project
GBD architects has some interesting renderings on what a built out of this site could look like
https://www.gbdarchitects.com/portfo.../albina-yards/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 6:13 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I was skeptical of the idea at the time, for that reason. It would be an incredibly difficult project for even the most experienced of developers, and the fact that Union Pacific gave no indication that the site was available made it even more unlikely.
With the Port of Portland closing again since it can't seem to keep any ship traffic for obvious reasons, it seems like protecting our rail yards and upgrading our freight rail routes is even more important now.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
With the Port of Portland closing again since it can't seem to keep any ship traffic for obvious reasons, it seems like protecting our rail yards and upgrading our freight rail routes is even more important now.
Now if you want to talk finding a way to provide an Amtrak only track in that ROW to drastically cut the train trip duration between Portland and Vancouver, I’m all ears.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:17 PM

Thx for the responses on Albina Yards. Those GBD drawings are really tantalizing. One can dream.

I would think there must be some way of preserving rail but freeing up that land, or at least some of it. To me, it just looks like a huge parking lot for railcars. Is something functional actually happening there or is it just effectively storage?

Last edited by colossalorder; Apr 18, 2024 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:34 AM

Quote:
There really is zero reason why freight lines can't be relocated outside it an areas. Most stuff is trucked to a rail yard anyway. Relocating the railyards makes sense the railroad can modernize their operations and could make bank on redevelopment.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:22 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
There really is zero reason why freight lines can't be relocated outside it an areas. Most stuff is trucked to a rail yard anyway. Relocating the railyards makes sense the railroad can modernize their operations and could make bank on redevelopment.
I have to disagree with this in the sense that it makes it even easier to have things locally shipped via truck when the depot yards are within the city, we just need better infrastructure to get all those goods into the city.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:42 PM
Registered Ugly

Reminds me of the several attempts (by Nitze-Stagen and Paul Allen at one point) to redevelop the Port of Seattle's Pier 46.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:50 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree with this in the sense that it makes it even easier to have things locally shipped via truck when the depot yards are within the city, we just need better infrastructure to get all those goods into the city.
The Albina yard is mostly used for train assembly and barge to train loading. It doesn't have the infrastructure needed for train to truck transfers. As urban rail yards go, it's a pretty good candidate for relocation.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:04 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz View Post
The Albina yard is mostly used for train assembly and barge to train loading. It doesn't have the infrastructure needed for train to truck transfers. As urban rail yards go, it's a pretty good candidate for relocation.
That is true, I was more referring to the Brooklyn Yard. With the Albina Yard, it is a very isolated area that I am not sure is a good candidate for redevelopments to anything other than what it is being used for now. Terminal 2 and The Squish would be a better candidate for redevelopment.

Now if Trimet were to be aggressive with expanding light rail, I could see a spur come off the Yellow line, run through the Albina Yard and out to St John's. If that were to happen, then it would definitely make sense to redevelop that area into a new urban district.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:05 PM

I haven't been to either yet, but I see that the new Stumptown in 11W and the temporary Nike store in Pioneer Place are both now open.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland