HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I find it odd that the planners of the Trans Canada Trail would have the trail go through residential areas instead of through the Assiniboine forest.
It does seem odd looking at the above Graphic. TCT, as you know is a non profilt group made up of several hundreds of groups across Canada.

I can understand the Northern leg of the route as it does traverse Ass.Park the Ass. River and most smaller parks in the area, but a run through the forest or at least a run through from the south seems like quite a good idea.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 6:10 PM

Downtown Winnipeg Surface Parking Lots

I thought this might be of interest to some of you...

I've used Google Earth to create some images that give a different perspective on many of the downtown surface lots. What these images show me, more than anything else, is how much potential the downtown area has. Imagine if even 1/4 of these lots were filled with medium density housing (I say put the massive high-density developments on hold for now). How many thousands of people would that be?

Another revelation for me is the sheer scale of many of these lots. Somehow I don't get a sense of it from the ground. But these images show the enormity of these lots.

Here are the images. Now all we need is a massive change in attitude, political will, and good design.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3241040&type=1

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 5:44 AM

Such a shame that Investors Group Field (along w/ some vertical parking) was not built on "Parcel 4".

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 2:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
Imagine if even 1/4 of these lots were filled with medium density housing (I say put the massive high-density developments on hold for now). How many thousands of people would that be?

Even a square block of these would make a huge difference to street life.

Bryan, I got your book for Xmas, it is terrific!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

I have to say that I would love to see development of this kind on many of the lots around downtown.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Imagine if even 1/4 of these lots were filled with medium density housing (I say put the massive high-density developments on hold for now). How many thousands of people would that be?
Unless someone is willing to sell the properties at a considerable discount or people are willing to pay a small fortune for medium density housing this thought is nothing more than a pipe dream.

It has little to do with better design or political will.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:31 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:

Just for a reference.

A 780 sq fr 1BR/1BA unit in that complex sells for around $400k.

It is also a considerable distance from downtown Toronto and directly between two major rail lines and the Gardiner Expressway.

Not exactly paradise.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:40 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Unless someone is willing to sell the properties at a considerable discount or people are willing to pay a small fortune for medium density housing this thought is nothing more than a pipe dream.

It has little to do with better design or political will.
That's the problem, the opportunity cost of building on a surface parking lot is so high that medium density won't work. Either the market for housing downtown has to increase to like 500k+ for a 2BR condo, or the value of the surface parking lot has to decrease.

This is part of the reason I am (somewhat) for subsidies for parking garages... Theoretically increasing the supply of parking will decrease the value of the individual sport, but I think the better method for decreasing the value of a parking in downtown Winnipeg is to increase the taxes on these lots.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:35 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I think the better method for decreasing the value of a parking in downtown Winnipeg is to increase the taxes on these lots.
I completely agree with this. Unfortunately that would require a property tax model that goes beyond the standard property value assessment for determining tax rates.

I have always been a proponent of taxation based on frontage myself. Something that would both discourage surface lots and encourage density at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:39 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
I completely agree with this. Unfortunately that would require a property tax model that goes beyond the standard property value assessment for determining tax rates.

I have always been a proponent of taxation based on frontage myself. Something that would both discourage surface lots and encourage density at the same time.
I think frontage is a bit off too -- with cul-du-sacs you can have a huge lot area with small frontage. The large lot area means you have to spread out more creating higher costs. I would love to see a more land value/lot area taxation than frontage tax or assessed value tax.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:45 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Just for a reference.

A 780 sq fr 1BR/1BA unit in that complex sells for around $400k.

It is also a considerable distance from downtown Toronto and directly between two major rail lines and the Gardiner Expressway.

Not exactly paradise.
I don't know what your point is, I was just using the picture for reference.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:56 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
I don't know what your point is, I was just using the picture for reference.
It is a nice picture.

However the cost of something like that to be built on a downtown Winnipeg surface lot would be astronomical compared to the current market rates of downtown real estate on a per sq ft valuation.

Toronto can build something like that however it needs to be on some of the most undesirable property and price the units for less than a high rise condo in the heart of downtown.

I could see something like those built in the South Point Douglas area around Higgins.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:46 PM

Homes in inner city moving on up
Assessed values increase 19 per cent

Neighbourhood watch

Between 2012 and 2014, the average Winnipeg residential property increased in value by 12 per cent, according to city assessments. Here are the average increases for the city's 10 residential market regions (as indicated in the map above):

Inner city: 19 per cent
Old Kildonan/West Kildonan: 17 per cent
Old St. Boniface/Old St. Vital: 14 per cent
Charleswood: 13 per cent
North Kildonan/East Kildonan: 13 per cent
St. James: 13 per cent
Tuxedo/River Heights: 13 per cent
Transcona: 12 per cent
Fort Garry: 11 per cent
New St. Boniface/New St. Vital: Nine per cent

In a case of good news and bad news for inner-city homeowners, residential property values in the oldest neighbourhoods are rising faster than in the rest of the city -- along with property-tax bills.

Chambers said starter homes in older neighbourhoods are becoming more expensive. But their owners have more equity, which bodes well for the long-term health of older neighbourhoods.

But the higher-than-average rise in property values also means the inner city now shoulders a greater share of the property-tax burden, a redistribution that should translate into higher-than-average property-tax bills this spring.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...239381691.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good news for some, others not so great. The last paragraph puts inner city homes at a greater value, but they will shoulder a higher amount of the tax burden.
This is positive in some respects as some of the un desirable, dilapitaed structures will now have a new lease on life. A reason for owners to renovate something that at one time should of demolished.

Take it for what it is..."Gentrification"

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 2:02 AM

http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/maps_aerial.stm

Another source of aerial photos for your viewing. Newest is from 2012, but they'll be doing around round of photos this spring.

Pretty good quality, nice 45 degree view too.
http://www.winnipeg.ca/pictometry/pictometryView.htm
(Works better is you hit the multi coloured P button on the map bar)

Last edited by bomberjet; Feb 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM. Reason: Added stuff

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:03 PM

City plans to reopen Sherbrook Pool in early 2016

Repairs to Sherbrook Pool will take longer than expected.

Planning director Barry Thorgrimson said the pool, closed in November 2012, will likely be open by January 2016.
Thorgrimson said early estimates indicate the repairs will be extensive, adding however they will fall within the $2.9-million estimated cost.

Source

Good news yes, surprised by the delay no...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I thought this might be of interest to some of you...

I've used Google Earth to create some images that give a different perspective on many of the downtown surface lots. What these images show me, more than anything else, is how much potential the downtown area has. Imagine if even 1/4 of these lots were filled with medium density housing (I say put the massive high-density developments on hold for now). How many thousands of people would that be?

Another revelation for me is the sheer scale of many of these lots. Somehow I don't get a sense of it from the ground. But these images show the enormity of these lots.

Here are the images. Now all we need is a massive change in attitude, political will, and good design.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3241040&type=1

I missed this post....really neat. Thanks for this, byranscott...at least some significant lots are disappearing now, slowly one by one

A lot of potential (pardon the pun)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 4:46 PM

Let it never be said that there are no affordable condos in downtown Winnipeg. $19,900!

http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetai...rtyId=14317595

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Let it never be said that there are no affordable condos in downtown Winnipeg. $19,900!

http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetai...rtyId=14317595
In the summer I go to Central Park at least once weekly for lunch time disc tossing with coworkers. That building always catches my eye, I really don't mind that neighbourhood.

That seems like a ridiculous price though (unless there's lots of trouble behind the scenes). You'd think one could easily rent out that place for way more than enough to cover your risk. Right?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 8:14 PM

^ I think there were problems... the building looks like hell from the outside, like they never finished renovations. I believe there was a fire and a murder in a vacant suite a couple of years ago. Although if you can get past that, the units that have come up for sale in there have looked remarkably nice for the money! This is by far the cheapest one that I've seen in there.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think there were problems... the building looks like hell from the outside, like they never finished renovations. I believe there was a fire and a murder in a vacant suite a couple of years ago. Although if you can get past that, the units that have come up for sale in there have looked remarkably nice for the money! This is by far the cheapest one that I've seen in there.
I can only assume that the condo association (or whatever exists) would be a small nightmare.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan